Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
fuel petc0ck (Read 2 times)
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
fuel petc0ck
10/21/06 at 14:28:10

I went for a 200+-mile round-trip today.  80 miles in, the thing starts to run out of gas, so I flip to RES...15 miles later it starts running out again so I flip to PRI and drive another 15 miles, then stop at a gas station and fill-up.  On the way home the EXACT same thing happened.  The thing that has me baffled now is both fill-ups were only 1.7 gallons and there was quite a bit of gas left in the tank both times.

What the heck is going on here?

Also, it seemed like low end torque was better with the petc0ck set on PRI, but top end accelerating seemed better on RES or ON...any clues here?

Thanks

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: fuel petc0ck
Reply #1 - 10/22/06 at 10:19:51

That's a stumper!  Here's a couple guesses.

If your suspension is modified, make sure your tank is still lower in the back than the front or gas will pool in the forward area unused.

Some wiseguy put a balloon in your tank.

Is your float needle sticking closed intermittently?

If that's not it I'd pull the petc0ck and do a clean and inspect.  Is the screen on the tank tube partly plugged?

Best luck, Let us know what you figure out.

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #2 - 10/22/06 at 18:11:16

Thanks for the response serowbot.  This bike only has 1000 miles on it, and is "bone-stock" for now, including the rear tire.  However, it is a 1998 model so it's possible the screen got clogged.  I don't think it's a carb problem because a petc0ck change produces immediate results and starts and runs flawlessly any other time.

Guess I'll need a manual petc0ck there (either conversion in tech section or a manual dirt bike version swap.)  I've ordered an inline fuel filter so I may chuck the internal screen...

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 10/22/06 at 19:09:14

I have a new-to-me '96 with a similar problem from time to time.  Actually it tends to be the same place going west and the same place going east.  Since I've been filling up before hitting the freeway, haven't had the going west problem.  I still have the going east problem but not every time.  It's uphill, and last time it was bad.  Usually, pull in the clutch, twist the throttle a couple of times and it goes away.  Even after it flattened out it was still coughing.  Then just as it started it went away.  When I got home, I found the vacum line to the petcock pulled off the carb.  I cut the end off to begin looking for a replacement and today no problems, east or west.

I've had the tank off a dozen times, and every time gas has leaked from the petcock.  So I'm guessing that this doesn't work very well.  And maybe, even with a vacum leak there maybe enough fuel flow to take the flats but not enough to do hills.

I'm real disapointed about the fuel capacity of the bike.  And for the most part I leave the petcock on secondary.  As it is, I don't get 100 miles on primary.  It's only a 50 mile round trip.  I should be able to fill up every other day.  But I have no confidence in it.

I'll replace the vacum line shortly, but I'm also concidering doing the petcock conversion to manual.  I've had it all apart, inspected all the ports.  Blew air thru everything, nothing, clean as a whistle.

I've had the carb apart, and except for a bit of this and that was ok.  The slide was as dark and except for two wear spots very evenly colored, just the right shade for dri-lube.  So I thought it was.  BTW, thanks for all the helpful posts, as now I know I need to clean this varnish off.

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 10/22/06 at 23:38:58

I did the manual conversion, after 2 months of frustration and about 10 carb R'n'R's' to fix a problem that wasn't there!.  I'm very happy with it, and now have the satisfaction of knowing that , that bugger can't fool me again!
Thanks again to bobo383 for posting that fix in the tech section.  Very clever!

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #5 - 10/28/06 at 16:59:26

Well, thanks to Bobo383 for the petc0ck conversion!  I it happened to me again and I came straight home and tore into it.  I removed the internal screen and added an external fuel filter in anticipation that soon a second tank will be my reserve.  But everything went smoothly.

There was a little junk in the screen and in the bottom of the tank but it obviously wasn't clogging the flow.

Guess I'll have to do the white spacer mod next... Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 19:23:29

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › fuel petc0ck

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.