d@mn carb AGAIN! (Read 4 times)
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

d@mn carb AGAIN!
10/21/06 at 08:30:09

yesterday afternoon was a typical yuma fall day, sunny 85*, debby and i went out to run errands on the bikes, when we got to the stop sign at the highway(aprox 1mi) her bike died when she clutched in to idle down (hmmm, thats  odd, i thought to myself) ???. when she restarted, it took a few cranks, normally it pops right off (hmmm, thats odd) ???, when it lit off, a boil of  black smoke exited the tailpipe (hmmm, thats odd) ???. so we decided to go on down the road and see if it would clear up. at the next stop light (aprox 2mi) she and the bike went through this drill all over again! Sad at this point she is not having fun, and i'm not happy with a certain carburetor Angry rather than fight her way through town and wrestle with this thing in city traffic, we opted to return the suzuki home, and would run our errands two-up on my HD.
 later in the afternoon (aprox 2hrs), i was done being mad at her bike, and decided to dig in to it, naturally the first thing is to fire it up, and diagnose the problem. it fired up and ran perfectly! so, go for a test ride, it rode and ran fine! ??? i'm starting to think i've got an intermittant issue with the needle and seat. any body else have similar issues or suggestions?

dyna muff,1/2 spacer,152.5,55,drilled air box,idle mix,spark plug door,harley bars & seat,spitfire windshield,turn signal,dunlops,man.pethingy,ISO pegs,engine cage,hiway pegs,support 81
  IP Logged
luken

Mesa, az
Re: d@mn carb AGAIN!
Reply #1 - 10/21/06 at 09:04:23

Hmm.  I just cleaned my carb last weekend and for the first few days, in the morning on the way to work it would die as I downshift to slowdown.  In fact it did it this morning.  

I just figured it was my idel screw, I was messing with it when my throttle was stuck.  Seems to not be doing it as much though.  

Anyway, sounds wierd...

Black 02, 55 pilot 155 main, 1/2 spacer, seat mod, sporty muff, air pod.
  IP Logged
Steve530
2005 No Login

Knoxville, TN
Reply #2 - 10/21/06 at 10:02:56

Sounds like it's running rich. Maybe dirt or a bad float?

'97 Black / 1/2 white spacer
155 main jet / 55 pilot jet / Dyna muffler
snorkel removed / K&N drop in / seat raised
Slipstreamer SS30 windshield
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #3 - 10/21/06 at 13:18:29

pretty good bet the slide is sticking - it needs to be cleaned.

IP Logged
Steve530
2005 No Login

Knoxville, TN
Reply #4 - 10/21/06 at 14:45:47

I'd bet on reelthing's experience.

'97 Black / 1/2 white spacer
155 main jet / 55 pilot jet / Dyna muffler
snorkel removed / K&N drop in / seat raised
Slipstreamer SS30 windshield
  IP Logged
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Reply #5 - 10/22/06 at 08:16:59

Reelthing wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
pretty good bet the slide is sticking - it needs to be cleaned.

D@MN i hate the CV design! i didn't like the SUs on my mg midget either! i have new filters on it from last months carb hardships, if two fuel filters and the air filter can't keep the carb clean enough to live in the desert, perhaps an old fashioned pull slide carb from a DR650, XL650, KX650 may be in order.

dyna muff,1/2 spacer,152.5,55,drilled air box,idle mix,spark plug door,harley bars & seat,spitfire windshield,turn signal,dunlops,man.pethingy,ISO pegs,engine cage,hiway pegs,support 81
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #6 - 10/22/06 at 10:23:31

Check for fuel in the petc0ck's vacuum line.  There should be absolutely none.

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #7 - 10/22/06 at 11:57:56

azjay wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
D@MN i hate the CV design! i didn't like the SUs on my mg midget either! i have new filters on it from last months carb hardships, if two fuel filters and the air filter can't keep the carb clean enough to live in the desert, perhaps an old fashioned pull slide carb from a DR650, XL650, KX650 may be in order.

I've become quite fond of my Amal.  If you decide on a different carb, talk to Lancer and see what he has available.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #8 - 10/22/06 at 17:58:51

Toss a shot glass of two stroke oil in every other tank full, can't hurt anything.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
georgekathe
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 10/22/06 at 23:06:13

not doubting your word, sir - but anyone else - curious - does this (two storke oil in gas suggestion) do any good or as I would  think it just burns the oil out of the muffler in the form of trace smoke?

IP Logged
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Reply #10 - 10/23/06 at 06:04:30

Serowbot wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
Check for fuel in the petc0ck's vacuum line.  There should be absolutely none.

no vacuum, 'nother idea i didn't like, so ours has been converted to manual.

georgekathe wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
not doubting your word, sir - but anyone else - curious - does this (two storke oil in gas suggestion) do any good or as I would  think it just burns the oil out of the muffler in the form of trace smoke?

i,ve been dumping my extra 2stroke fuel into my cars and 4stroke bikes for 30+ years and never noticed the smoke in the exhaust like you get with the 2stroke motors ??? as mentioned you'll add lubrication to the fuel system, not nessesarily a bad thing. i used to add a cup of marvel mystery oil to 5gal of aviation gas, when i was running it in my sandbuggy, because av gas doesn't have any lubrication additives or properties.

Ed L. wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
Toss a shot glass of two stroke oil in every other tank full, can't hurt anything.

i might give that a try, we have a 2oz bottle of marvel mystery oil that we carry behind the chrome side cover, i think the tool kit is supposed to be there.

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
I've become quite fond of my Amal.  If you decide on a different carb, talk to Lancer and see what he has available.

does it fit in the stock air box and cyl mounts? i'd like to try to keep that stuff in place if possible, which is why i was considering other carbs from similar type installs.

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #11 - 10/23/06 at 06:07:46

The wear on the carb slide has been a problem for years. One of the possible solutions from Bert's site was to add a little Marvel Mystery oil to the gas as a lube. Another option is using two stroke oil instead. Don't really know if it works but it can't hurt any. It's up to you if you want to do it, I'm just making a suggestion. Undecided

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #12 - 10/23/06 at 07:01:03

I do add a little bit of 2-stroke every now and then - maybe 1 oz to every 4th or 5th full tank - but it's syn castrol tts - next to no smoke or carbon buildup at far higher mixtures - the idea is to add a little lube to the slide - the biggest deal I think on the slide galling - other than the design - is air leaks around the filter or the rubber intake boots - you can help the stock airfliter seal better with some grease on the foam - of course this 10%Eth doesn't help matters any either

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #13 - 10/23/06 at 10:45:34

i might give that a try, we have a 2oz bottle of marvel mystery oil that we carry behind the chrome side cover, i think the tool kit is supposed to be there.

I use about a teasp00n or two of MMO in about every 3rd or 4th tank.  I do this to hopefully help counter the potentially ill effects of the "up to 10% ethanol" fuel that seems to be the standard fuel available around here.

does it fit in the stock air box and cyl mounts? i'd like to try to keep that stuff in place if possible, which is why i was considering other carbs from similar type installs.

When I bought the Amal Mk2 from Lancer, it came with the mounting flange for the carb (as well as a new throttle cable).  I used some flex tubing from Autozone (meant for AC ducting, I think) between the airbox and the carb.  The only real "mod" I had to do was to add a "port" to the carb to tap vacuum for the petc0ck.  I happen to like it vacuum actuated as it is.  Since you've modified yours to operate without vacuum, this is not an issue for you.  This was with the Amal Mk2.  You may decide on a different carb, like an Edelbrock or something similar.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Reply #14 - 10/24/06 at 07:03:47

thanks! i'll certainly keep lancer's amal in mind.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 15:23:27

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › d@mn carb AGAIN!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.