Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Which Sporty Works the Best (Read 2 times)
Yellow96

Which Sporty Works the Best
10/07/06 at 21:54:03

I was looking at sportys on ebay and noticed different brackets for different years.  I noticed a set of 2005s that looked like they had a similar bracket as the savage. Any thouhgts?  I'd like a stock looking setup if I can pull it off.

IP Logged
Steve530
2005 No Login

Knoxville, TN
Re: Which Sporty Works the Best
Reply #1 - 10/07/06 at 23:55:22

I don't think you'd want a Sportster muffler from a 2005 model because the later models have a crossover.  It's a small tube that exits prependicular to the main axis of the muffler. I'm not sure when these were changed, maybe 2001, but the ebay listings gennerly make a distinction.

As I understand, the two mufflers on a Sportster are connected through these fittings.  Without the other muffler, you'd have a hole there. Not good.

You might want to look for a Dyna muffler instead. I picked up a take-off Dynamuffler from the local HD dealer for $20.  It has a bracket welded to the muffler that stands off about a 1/4 ".  The bracket has a slot on top that is enlarged in the center. I went to a hardware store and found a carriage bolt that fit it perfectly, maybe a 1/4" or 3/8". The square shoulder of the carriage bolt fits the slot perfectly. I used two of these bolts in the bracket to attach to the stock Savage frame bracket. The bolts were even the right size to use the stock rubber and steel inserts.

All you need then is a short adapter.  I got one made at a local muffler shop for $5.

Steve  

'97 Black / 1/2 white spacer
155 main jet / 55 pilot jet / Dyna muffler
snorkel removed / K&N drop in / seat raised
Slipstreamer SS30 windshield
  IP Logged
Yellow96

Reply #2 - 10/08/06 at 05:46:24

How does it sound?  I want somthing without the harsh, sharpness of my Jardine

IP Logged
Dragon King

IL
Reply #3 - 10/08/06 at 17:10:26

anyone that does not like the jardine has loved the sportster muff from what I have seen. I love my jardine a week ago the baffle came out and it really sounds great.( got retune the carb now) but then again I used to take glass pack muffler's and burn the baffle out and then put them on. love it loud Grin

I refuse to tiptoe through life...
Only to arrive safely at Death.
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #4 - 10/08/06 at 20:00:53

Ive been using a sporty muffler off a '95 for over a year. To get a better sound out of it I drilled a 3/8 inch hole thru the baffle, really improved the engine note. Even gives a nice crackle when backing down the throttle. The only drawback with drilling the baffle is a bit of a pop when shifting although it doesn't bother me a bit. The muffler has the tab mount on it and I had to use a short piece of flat stock to reach the stock exhaust mount. Tried a Dyna muffler with the channel mount but the baffle was loose and it sounded like cr*p which was why I ended up drilling out the sporty.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #5 - 10/09/06 at 07:16:39

the hard krome large slash cut works BEST!!!!

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #6 - 10/09/06 at 12:45:16

i just went with a used supertrapp,  i do like it,  four disks i believe is what max said.

i'm even skipping the heatshield for a raw look

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Steve530
2005 No Login

Knoxville, TN
Reply #7 - 10/10/06 at 15:17:17

Yellow96,

The Dyna sounds like a Sportster muffler as far as I can tell. I actually think they're the same muffler with different mountings. Louder than stock and somewhat lower.

'97 Black / 1/2 white spacer
155 main jet / 55 pilot jet / Dyna muffler
snorkel removed / K&N drop in / seat raised
Slipstreamer SS30 windshield
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 00:35:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Which Sporty Works the Best