Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Wont' Start... please help nOOb!! (Read 1 times)
ringo
YaBB Newbies

Bay Area, California
Wont' Start... please help nOOb!!
10/07/06 at 16:44:57

Hi all,

Well day 2 on this forum and I'm already totally at your mercy.  Here's the problem:

- I unknowingly switched the ignition to the 3rd setting (not on or off, but the 3rd one) last night when I got home

- Assuming this was a setting for lights and I had killed my battery over night, I looked at the manual and uninstalled the battery, bringing it in to a local bike mechanic to charge

- I picked the battery up 2 hours later, as recommended and tried to reinstall it but ran up against an issue:

- I don't see any bolts where the screws go through the positive/ negative wires on the battery and I don't remember any being there.  But now when I put the wires on top (negative on the left, positive on the right), there is nothing to secure the screws.

Well, I basically just put it together as it was, leaving the screws somewhat loosely in the connections to the battery.  I tried to start it up and all I get is a very rapid "tick-tick-tick-tick-tick" and the engine sometimes tries to turn over once or twice but that's it.

I should also mention I just bought the bike yesterday.  It has 1300 miles and ran like a charm on the 30 mile ride home.  I rode it 3 other times yesterday with no problems, so I am confident that there is nothing major wrong here (except it runs lean, which I mentioned in my first thread).

Please someone help me!  Is it possible that I was given the wrong battery?  Why won't the wires attach properly?  Am I missing some bolts?  And why the hell won't it start up even if the connections aren't 100% secure?

THanks a ton.  My poor baby is stranded now and I'm just miserable!
:'( :'(

2001 Suzuki Savage
  IP Logged
mickthelimey
Ex Member

Re: Wont' Start... please help nOOb!!
Reply #1 - 10/07/06 at 16:59:35

Ringo, your battery cables are loose,that's why you get the tick tick  noise, you need the two nuts that hold the bolts on your battery terminals,they can be a bit tricky to get on ,I use a pair of tweezers to hold the nuts in place , then screw in the bolts or screws as you call them,seems like you lost the nuts ,and there is nothing worse than loosing your nuts.

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
  IP Logged
Rogue_Cheddar
Serious Thumper

Hang up the phone
and drive!

Haverhill, Massachusetts
Reply #2 - 10/07/06 at 17:15:21

mick wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
seems like you lost the nuts ,and there is nothing worse than loosing your nuts.

Thank God that wont happen to me, cuz my wife keeps mine in her purse. I get to use them on special occasions. Cheesy

'95 Red Savage. Oring grips and pegs, 30" Fishtail muffler,152.5 main, 1/3 spacer mod ,seat lift, Verslagy.
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #3 - 10/07/06 at 18:13:34

Rogue_Cheddar wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
Thank God that wont happen to me, cuz my wife keeps mine in her purse. I get to use them on special occasions. Cheesy

ROFLMAO!

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
georgekathe
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 10/07/06 at 18:51:10

ringo -

glad you got help so quick from mick - sounds right to me, though not had it happen to my Savage (never loosened battery terminals other than to put in some connecting piece so I can "trickle charge" it with my Battery Tender if I leave it for too long/deaden the battery).

as far as rogue cheddar - that sounds painful, mate!

as far as savage rob - whaaaaat? (can't understand that one at all!

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #5 - 10/07/06 at 19:22:21

Ringo, if you did not realize the nuts were loose after you took the screws out, they probably fell out as you moved the battery around. They usually come with a new battery so any good battery shop should have a couple of the little packages sitting around when the used the old ones over. I have a couple in my metric nuts drawer and would gladly send them to you, but you should be able to find some quicker locally.  You also maybe able to find them if you look near the Savage on the floor, where ever you set the battery when you transported it and be sure to ask the charger person if they were on the shelf when the got done charging it.  I think the are standard 6mm x 1 pitch nuts anyway, but probably a different material for the battery. Take a bolt to home depot/lowes or whatver is around you and find a couple. May be some on your license plate bolts and then use 1/4 US fasterners for it for now. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #6 - 10/07/06 at 21:52:38

georgekathe wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
as far as savage rob - whaaaaat? (can't understand that one at all!

ROFLMAO = Rolling On the Floor Laughing My @ss Off.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
ringo
YaBB Newbies

Bay Area, California
Reply #7 - 10/08/06 at 20:00:09

thanks everyone.  i got the screws and connected it and it still wouldn't start (this was after bringing the battery to a bike shop and a 2 hour charge).
anyways, put some jumper cables on and it started right up.  guess the charge wasn't enough.

thx.

2001 Suzuki Savage
  IP Logged
georgekathe
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 10/08/06 at 22:39:17

thankyou for the translation into English, Savage Rob! Smiley

glad to hear the bike started, ringo!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 16:29:24

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Wont' Start... please help nOOb!!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.