Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
HELLPPP Clicking sounds (Read 3 times)
drunpakhtun
Ex Member

HELLPPP Clicking sounds
10/07/06 at 11:19:45

Watsup brothers,
I have a 94 savage, i was riding along the other day and everytime i slowed down and got on the clutch i heard a clicking sound.  I had to get it home but w/ my luck there was traffic, so eventually the bike didn't catch any gears.  I pulled over into a parking lot and wen i tried shifting from neutral to first , as the clutch disengaged there was alota grinding sound and i barely could pick any speed up .
I need help figuring this out PLZZ, any ideas fellas??
dil

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Re: HELLPPP Clicking sounds
Reply #1 - 10/07/06 at 13:54:58

Sorry dude.  This isn't much help, but that sounds REALLY bad.  You'll need to pull the case and get in there to see what's going on.  If you find large chunks of metal loose in there you'll have some tough choices.  I'd be interested to hear the final verdict on this one.

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
drunpakhtun
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 10/07/06 at 16:02:00

ye man its pretty scary,
i took the case off, there were no bits of metal, the clutch basket n individual plates seemed perfect.
you thinkin maybe its my tranny or my the cam chain tensioner? the tensioner seemed ok but i'm not well read wen it comes to tensioners, anythin i should look for?
thanks

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #3 - 10/07/06 at 16:56:02

If the cam chain tensioner is suspect, the engine shouldn't run...i'd be more inclined to suspect the actual transmission gears.  From what I understand (not been into my own) they are reverse helical cut gears, i.e. very expensive to manufacture.  If that's the case, I'd say your best bet is to look for a new bike or a new engine/transmission assembly.  Anyone else have better ideas, since this one is just nothing but bad news?!?

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #4 - 10/07/06 at 19:35:09

Seems like I remember the throwout bearing being a simple ball bearing that should not be expensive to fix if that is the problem. It is in the top cover on the clutch assembly and is easy to check.  

The cam chain tensioner should not respond to the clutch action so I doubt that that is the probelm. However, it will clatter if the tensioner starts to gets past its prime, but mine ran with the noise for a couple thousand miles anyway. After seeing how it is made, I don't recommend that as if it should separate the spring could fall into the primary drive gears and being very hard could really make an expensive mess under the RH cover. To check it, see if the plunger from the tensioner is less that parallel to the bore/body of the housing it sits in, mine wore on the bottom side of the aluminum housing and was angled down when I looked at it and when I moved it the plunger fell out and the spring dropped. It is behind the clutch basket assembly at about 3 o'clock. We can help more with more information. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
drunpakhtun
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 10/07/06 at 19:54:39

watsup max, thanks for the 411,
so i'm ready to take the clutch basket out, u sed it was 3' 0 clock , anything specific i should look for wen i get the basket off? worn down ball bearings? is there more than 1? sorry for all the questions, i dont wanna make an expensive mess,
dil

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #6 - 10/08/06 at 12:32:48

Dug out the manual. The bearing I was talking about sits in the release plate held on by the 4 cap screws on the outside of the clutch. it should move smoothly with your finger rotating it. If it wears it will make a noise when the clutch lever is pulled in, it doesn't have any pressure against it when the clutch is adjusted correctly, that is why we have some free play in the linkage. Clutch should have released fully though unless it is really worn and jammed up inside.  I've reread your original post and if I understand it correctly. The clutch would not engage tight enough to move the bike after the clicking sound started and you had to use the clutch many times in traffic. Also we don't have 94 models in the USA, so don't know if Suzuki fixed the starter gear problem that you might be experiencing if the noise came after a start up. Look for threads about 86-88 models and repairs to the Left side cover.  My USA OE manual covers 86 with supplements for 87, 88, then jumps to 95, 96 etc. How about redescribing the original concerns and bike functions again just so you don't take apart things that are not broken, unless you want to. From the tone of your messages you are working w/o a manual, that will be difficult with this bike as soon as you get to the cam cover as it has some very specific screw lengths and coatings and washers to not strip treads or bottom fasterners before the are clamping down the cover.

Cam chain tensioner is in plain sight above the clutch basket about 2 not 3 o'clock. Again it's function should not have been related to any clutch lever action. And it is easy to check visibily, book method requires one to measure the distance between a speciified number of pins in the cam chain.

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
drunpakhtun
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 10/08/06 at 12:51:42

sounds good, i'm ordering a manual online it should be here soon, i'll take a look at wat u sed and report back,
thanks alot boss, i greatly appreciate it.
dil

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #8 - 10/08/06 at 20:48:17

If I understand what Max is talking about regarding the early model starter problems, you'll  want to search for "backlash".  Set it for something like 999 days too.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 18:50:11

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › HELLPPP Clicking sounds

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.