Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
IT'S baaaaaack (Read 7 times)
mickthelimey
Ex Member

IT'S baaaaaack
10/05/06 at 19:41:35

Well I thought I fixed the backfiring with the #4 spacer,it worked fine after I put it in yesterday, I went to town today and it's back in all it's noisiness,the same as it ever was,now what? any ideas guys ?

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
  IP Logged
georgekathe
Ex Member

Re: IT'S baaaaaack
Reply #1 - 10/05/06 at 20:19:24

sorry Mick, not I, but hope you get help you need out there.

Smiley

IP Logged
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Reply #2 - 10/06/06 at 00:18:32

Make sure you have no intake or exhaust leaks and slowly turn out the slow mixture screw to see if it helps. Mine pops a little and I'm not too concerned about it. It's never popped when shutting it down.

IP Logged
Veritas
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 10/06/06 at 02:02:02

check your idle speed screw.  i had the same problem when i noticed the vibrations of the bike moved that screw.  i put it back to where it belongs and no more pooping

IP Logged
Guido
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 10/06/06 at 04:01:21

Good luck, after all I've done to mine, the popping still comes and goes. No exhaust leaks. Screw set right where it should be. Runs great!! Except for the occasional annoying POP between shifts. I really think it's an atmospheric thing. Humidity and such.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #5 - 10/06/06 at 06:04:07

Is it a simple pop or a backfire?  
Backfire = gun shot type sound.
Pops/crackles are considered normal, and are not harmful.
It is all about the pilot jet & its' adjustment.

IP Logged
mickthelimey
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 10/06/06 at 09:16:19

Lancer, it's like you say, pop and Crackle,no gun fire type noice. what is the correct setting for the idle screw?
that's the one on the right side ,right? the thumb screw on the left I just adjust it to get a nice idle ???
in the past I have owned nothing but singles,none of them back fired at all (500cc was the biggest)

IP Logged
Brewbrother
Serious Thumper

Just lending a
helping hand.

Reply #7 - 10/06/06 at 19:23:07

Mine rumbles a bit when i let off the throttle. Are you getting your pop when you shift up or when you let off the throttle?? My experience is that pops on upshifts are leaks in intake/exhaust. When it pops when you let off the throttle its a lean condition.

Opportunities multiply as they are seized.
No spacer,60 pilot jet, 155 main jet, plug door, sportster muffler, k&n drop in, iridium plug, brake pedal mod,de-badged, Dunlops, bullet turn signals.
  IP Logged
georgekathe
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 10/06/06 at 19:29:05

not seeking to hijack mick's chain but I thought a sign of leanness was a pop as you shut the throttle too, but my plug is a little on the sooty which everything I've understood is that it means it is running rich!

whaaaat?

mick - what color is your plug? maybe that'd help with advice out there.

IP Logged
mickthelimey
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 10/06/06 at 19:53:05

The plug is sooty,when I had the pipe off the other day I poked my finger in there and it was sooty as well.
 Be back soon got to watch "Real Time" with Bill Mayer
  A radical Liberal, Yeh!

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #10 - 10/06/06 at 20:53:58

owners man states to go to a hotter plug(ngk dpr7ea-9) if "plug's insulator is dark"...anyone tried this?? os split fire??
mick try search for "lancers' easy carb tuning" it helped my decell pops along with better throttle controll on my part,she doesnt like havein it snaped shut( elev. 4k + less O2)..also think i remember a post from a fellow savager whose air mix screw( on right side one behind the brass plug, idle screw (throttle valve stop screw) is where the throttle cable attaches to the carb) had vibrated out of adjustment ... good luck let us know what you find Smiley

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #11 - 10/07/06 at 03:13:18

Hey Guys

With KLX I get a nice rumble on the overrun but no backfire.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
Oldfeller2

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #12 - 10/07/06 at 03:15:08

I experimented with a post-mod bike to find the "ideal" setting of the air screw ( the one under the sheet brass plug).

I did notice that popping frequency would come and go between the various adjustments, never going away completely but being much more frequent in the richer settings than in the leaner settings.

Your sooty plug and pipe indicate you are running "richer" which is what the idle speed method tends to give you when you use it to adjust your air screw.

Turn it in by the 1/8 turn increments and run it a week at each setting.  Don't bother with measuring gas mileage, that always seemed to have more to do with my wrist than with the air screw setting, but do record your pipe color and how the bike accelerates and runs generally.  And the popping and backfiring of course.

You will find differences exist and you will wind up at a setting that maximizes what is important to you.

Oldfeller

PS, is your air filter clean?   A plugged up air filter can make you run richer all by itself.

IP Logged
georgekathe
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 10/07/06 at 08:08:30

thanks for helping both mick & I out on the sooty plug, oldfeller (glad I was not hijacking mick's question. in my case the air filter is clean - repolace less than 1000 miles ago with K & N. will hopwever play with air screw per your advice as never  used such small gradual increases/decreases.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #14 - 10/07/06 at 09:42:30

I notice mine pop's more on humid days.  Humid days have thinner air, means rich mix popping.  Same if you pop more in higher elevation.

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 04:24:43

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › IT'S baaaaaack

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.