Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
My new Savage!!- and help on windshield (Read 3 times)
ringo
YaBB Newbies

Bay Area, California
My new Savage!!- and help on windshield
10/06/06 at 16:26:29

Hi all,
I just rode my new beauty home and all I can say is WOW- that's some torque!  I have an '86 Shadow but it has some issues and before that I had an '84 Shadow so that's all I knew.  Well, I mounted the Savage for a test ride and was TOTALLY impressed with the responsiveness.  I am so happy with it.  It's a 2001 w/ 1300 miles and I got it for $2200 which is good for the California Bay Area.  
I have a couple questions though and would greatly appreciate the help:

- Coming over the bridge on the way home with some decent gusts I could really feel the light weight of the bike.  Would a windshield help a lot and if so, where can I find one for a good price?

- The thing idles REALLY low and I have to use the choke to start up even during a mild day.  Is this normal?  Does it require adjustment?

Okay, other than that I'm glad to be part of the community and just can't wait to go back out for the next ride!

2001 Suzuki Savage
  IP Logged
Rogue_Cheddar
Serious Thumper

Hang up the phone
and drive!

Haverhill, Massachusetts
Re: My new Savage!!- and help on windshield
Reply #1 - 10/06/06 at 18:04:57

Hey Ringo, Gear! Fab! (60's Beatle lingo) Welcome aboard. Yes, the bike is light but once you get used to it, you wont mind the wind so much. If you don't like being in the wind at higher speeds, there are lot of windshield otptions for the Savage. I have a fairly universal "Slipstreamer Turbo" fairing style that flairs out and covers the hand areas which is good for out here in the Northeast colder weather.. These types are not that expensive. There are other smaller and or flyscreen types you might want to check out. Unfortunately it's too bad there wasn't a way to try on some different ones before making your choice. Sounds like you got a good deal. All Savages are set too lean by the factory. Search the boards you will see many topics about carb adjustments. Good luck!

'95 Red Savage. Oring grips and pegs, 30" Fishtail muffler,152.5 main, 1/3 spacer mod ,seat lift, Verslagy.
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #2 - 10/06/06 at 18:26:47

welcome to savageville! spent some time in"the bay area" in the 60s bet its alot different now...
i have the suzuki sport shield on my 06 when the money tree fruits out im gettin something bigger..
do a search on carb mods for your starting issues..member   palidan   i think is in cal also so maybe he can help with the air standard issues for your state... 8)

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
babbalou
Serious Thumper

Lewisville, Texas
Reply #3 - 10/06/06 at 19:32:32

Welcome to the Savage family! You can raise the idle speed. You'll see the little knob on the carb where the butterfly rests when the throttle's closed. My flyscreen does seem to stabilize the bike a bit on the highway. Maybe it creates a little downforce or minimizes turbulance, I don't know. Mine starts best with the choke on, even on a hot day but after my rejet I push in the choke after it starts & it idles & runs fine.

Had an S40 Jul '04-Jan '07
WWW   IP Logged
georgekathe
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 10/06/06 at 19:45:17

welcome from George, Ringo (funny - I really have never liked the Beatles, prefering the Byrds, Dylan & the Lovin' Spoonful in their era but there you go).

this is a great site &  you will find a lot of help on here given in good humor.

my bike also needs a choke on a mild day first thing in the morning, but I'm sure it is a reflection of my need to get in the carb & do some work.

have fun reading as much on this site as you can, Ringo - I know I did when I discovered it & happy riding! Smiley

IP Logged
ringo
YaBB Newbies

Bay Area, California
Reply #5 - 10/07/06 at 09:45:02

Thanks everyone!  I will look into a windshield on ebay.  Is there a particular mounting system I need to look for?  

Glad to hear a lean carb is standard.  I'll have to figure out how to adjust it, though motorcycle maintenance is not my forte (that darn Zen book didn't help a bit... lol)  But if anyways needs a semi-decent rhythms guy with a lot of touring experience in a small 60s rock band, Ringo's your man!

Of course my new problem: I woke up to a dead battery.  I realized instead of switching to off last night I switched it to having the light on... oops!  I tried pushing it down a mild decline and popping the clutch, but no luck.  Guess I'll have to pull the battery, huh?  My Shadow didn't have that setting.  Guess I'm still getting used to my new savage beast.

2001 Suzuki Savage
  IP Logged
911radioman
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 10/07/06 at 12:20:58

I like both the National Cycle Street Shield and the National Cycle Dakota Windshield.  I own both of them, but like the Dakota better.

www.nationalcycle.com

IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #7 - 10/07/06 at 21:01:27

HI- i ride with the Enterprise fairing by slipstreamer, it does a great job protecting the hands as wellas torso, very little helet buffeting.  The mounting system is not as good as I would like, but the protection is great.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 04:24:35

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › My new Savage!!- and help on windshield

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.