Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Re: Carb Screws... gah!
Reply #15 - 09/19/06 at 14:18:57

Got them out on 2 carbs and burgered up one - and yes throw the phillips screws in da trash! (except for the littleones in the slide)

IP Logged
Veritas
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 09/19/06 at 14:29:40

My bike is a 2005.  The screws were perfect.  Keyword: were  Shocked  Not anymore!  I did a good job of making them look like they werent even screws!  

I think I'm gonna grind the screws down and try to thread them down through the bottom of the holes.  Think that'll work?  I hope so!

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #17 - 09/19/06 at 14:37:20

V,
you'll have to cut grooves in the tops of the screws for that to work... and if you mess up... you may "never" get the carb open!

really, just go buy a screw extractor kit and a drill!  should cost less than $40 if you go cheap.  And you will use them again!  

V

IP Logged
Guido
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 09/19/06 at 16:44:51

Mine is an 05 also. Screws on the bottom came out okay, but one of the top ones had to be drilled.
Go to Sears and get the screw extractor set #952315.
Drill a pilot hole in the top of the screw without touching the threads, and then "tap" the appropriate extractor in the hole with a hammer. When you think it's in there firmly take a small adjustable wrench "cresent wrench" to it and get that baby out of there!!!
When you get them all out, throw those screws away and go to ACE Hardware and buy some of those stainless steel allens!!

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #19 - 09/19/06 at 18:10:57

Veritas wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
My bike is a 2005.  The screws were perfect.  Keyword: were  Shocked  Not anymore!  I did a good job of making them look like they werent even screws!  

I think I'm gonna grind the screws down and try to thread them down through the bottom of the holes.  Think that'll work?  I hope so!

doubt it - if they have thread lock on them and these sure felt like it - pretty good pop when they came loose

IP Logged
Veritas
Ex Member

Reply #20 - 09/19/06 at 22:58:19

So the only option here is drill and easyout...?

IP Logged
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Reply #21 - 09/20/06 at 07:06:08

as they are buggered up now, you can take your dremel and cut a slot across them, and get another shot at pulling them with a screwdriver. however, i think i'd ad some penetrating oil, vise grips to the screwdriver handle, tapping the screwdriver handle with a hammer while twisting, or the freezer trick, to the process, as what you've been doing hasn't been working, you gotta try something different.  quite often, many more things must be taken apart to get to the root of the mechanical repair, and can be a challenge to ones patience, which is why not everyone does this type of work. it sounds like you have the right idea, take a break when frustration sets in. good luck, keep us posted.

dyna muff,1/2 spacer,152.5,55,drilled air box,idle mix,spark plug door,harley bars & seat,spitfire windshield,turn signal,dunlops,man.pethingy,ISO pegs,engine cage,hiway pegs,support 81
  IP Logged
Stimpy - FSO
Serious Thumper

SuzukisSavage Int'l
Division

Germany - formerly SD, SoCal
Reply #22 - 09/22/06 at 12:38:33

What about going really LOW TECH?

Metal EXPANDS with heat, but CONTRACTS when cold.

What about puting the whole thing in the freezer for an hout or 2 (like azjay said) and then spaying it with wd40 (before and after) and trying with the vice grips and/or drill again?

Yeah, yeah, then the WHOLE thing would contract, so what´s the point? I know. But this means a chance because of movement between the 2 pieces, that´s all.

Could work I guess.

Recently sold 97'savage (change of residence) - looking to buy another - just bought a temp, a great SR125 called 'methadone'
WWW Stimpy - FSO   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #23 - 09/22/06 at 13:20:10

Stimpy - FSO wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
What about going really LOW TECH?

Metal EXPANDS with heat, but CONTRACTS when cold.

What about puting the whole thing in the freezer for an hout or 2 (like azjay said) and then spaying it with wd40 (before and after) and trying with the vice grips and/or drill again?

Yeah, yeah, then the WHOLE thing would contract, so what´s the point? I know. But this means a chance because of movement between the 2 pieces, that´s all.

Could work I guess.

Ummm, look a few posts above at:

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
It's nice that a carb is a small item and you can do this.  Take it off the bike and put it in the freezer for several hours.  Then try it.  Freezing causes the metal of the both the carb and the screws to contract.  I've done this before and it works.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Veritas
Ex Member

Reply #24 - 09/22/06 at 19:45:47

I can't get it off without removing the Battery box.  I really didn't want to do that.  I'm looking into the extractor.

IP Logged
Probert31
YaBB Newbies
2005 No Login

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #25 - 09/22/06 at 19:59:00

Don't let it sweat you.  I just did it the other day trying to rejet.  I couldn't drop the bowl without it.  Now I don't consider myself an idiot but, if I did it you can.  It really looked a lot harder then it turned out to be.  Even had to do it an extra time when I dropped mt screw into it.  Good luck!!

IP Logged
Steve530
2005 No Login

Knoxville, TN
Reply #26 - 09/23/06 at 07:42:26

Those screws are in there really tight. I can't imagine how they get them s tight without stripping the heads.  

But I manged to get the screws out with a pair of needle-nose vice grips by grabbing the part of the screw that protrudes below the flange.  I found it just about impossible to grab the heads of the screws.  

'97 Black / 1/2 white spacer
155 main jet / 55 pilot jet / Dyna muffler
snorkel removed / K&N drop in / seat raised
Slipstreamer SS30 windshield
  IP Logged
Stimpy - FSO
Serious Thumper

SuzukisSavage Int'l
Division

Germany - formerly SD, SoCal
Reply #27 - 09/25/06 at 01:55:54

Oh, ok, got it.

The thing is that I have to do this myself soon and wanted to see the outcome and my options, that´s all.

Guess I´ll use a drill and an extractor and get it overwith.

Recently sold 97'savage (change of residence) - looking to buy another - just bought a temp, a great SR125 called 'methadone'
WWW Stimpy - FSO   IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #28 - 09/25/06 at 06:55:55

Veritas wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
I can't get it off without removing the Battery box.  I really didn't want to do that.  I'm looking into the extractor.

got the carb off my 06 w/o jerkin the battery box or the tank only probs i had didnt pull vent tubes off carb bugger to feed back up the frame(fixed right next time i pulled the tank)pulled vent hose off petc0ck wrong!! ruined it trying to get it back on pullit off carb..good luck

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Veritas
Ex Member

Reply #29 - 09/27/06 at 16:57:55

Finally!   Grin

I went out and spent $95 on a decent drill and a screw extractor kit.  They still have me a problem.  I practically drilled the heads off 3 of them and still had to use the vice grips to get them out after working with the drill.

I put in 2 #4 washers and put her back together with some new screws.  Did a test and it seems to be running pretty well!

Whew! Shocked

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 15:28:12

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Carb Screws... gah!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.