Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Carb Screws... gah! (Read 15 times)
Veritas
Ex Member

Carb Screws... gah!
09/18/06 at 14:59:19

I know I was hijacking a brass plug thread but I'm so darn frustrated right now I had to start a new thread!  Angry

I don't know if they used super glue or what the hell they did but I can not get the carb screws off for the life of me.  Even one I got off with an impact driver wont come back off!

I tried impact driver, regular screw driver and hammer, vice grips.  Nothing is moving this screw!  I have no idea how they could get it so tight without stipiipng the screw.  Looks like they just poured molten brass into the hole and let it set.

I worked on ONE screw for over an hour with no progress.  Now, I have 2 stripped screws, one that will come out easy, and one head so mutilated, you can't tell it was a screw head.

Short of drilling the suckers out, what the hell can I do!?

ps.  Tried pulling the carb off but realized the battery box was in teh way.  They put this bike together like a freakin' jigsaw puzzle.  Everything has to go together in the right order or it wont work! Shocked

IP Logged
Probert31
YaBB Newbies
2005 No Login

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Re: Carb Screws... gah!
Reply #1 - 09/18/06 at 15:15:10

Had the same problem this yesterday.  Got mine off with vice grips.  The real pain was the screws in the needla assembly.  Be very careful with those.  Do you have any friction grease?  Might try that.  My neighbor tried to get the little ones out with it but couldn't.  When I got home and put the needle nose pliers to it, it came out.  Do you happen to know if the needle should slide or be stationary after the mod?

IP Logged
Veritas
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 09/18/06 at 15:33:35

I've been trying the vice grips.  I had a good grip on the screw bit it would not turn with all my strength.  I'm sorry, I don't know if it is suposed to move.  I think it is supposed to.  But don't take my word for it, I can't even get the carb apart!

IP Logged
Probert31
YaBB Newbies
2005 No Login

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #3 - 09/18/06 at 15:36:42

Sometimes if you try and tighten the screw a little it makes it easier to come out.  Thanks for your input on the needle.

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #4 - 09/18/06 at 16:32:30

yes, needle should move.  

2nd the idea of tightening to break the "lock."

V, do you have a welder?  Could try welding a longer screw to it to use as a lever arm.  Then it's on to the screw extractor kit.

May also want to try some PB Blaster.  It's a penetrating fluid.

Also the tips n tricks thread.

IP Logged
Brewbrother
Serious Thumper

Just lending a
helping hand.

Reply #5 - 09/18/06 at 16:37:05

I removed the carb screws with a set of needle nosed vice grips. Took maybe 5 minutes. Not to be a smart a$$ but righy tighty lefty loosey. as for the battery box, if you loosen the carb boots the carb can be shifted up or down as you rotate the carb without the carb cap to facilitate rejetting. have a beer or three. makes wrenching easier.

Opportunities multiply as they are seized.
No spacer,60 pilot jet, 155 main jet, plug door, sportster muffler, k&n drop in, iridium plug, brake pedal mod,de-badged, Dunlops, bullet turn signals.
  IP Logged
Veritas
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 09/18/06 at 18:21:33

No, no welder.  I guess I'll try the penetrating fluid.

I've tried the vice grips to no avail.  Yeah, I've been going lefty loosey.  I don't feel too comfortable using the impact driver again cause I keep shoving the carb closer and closer towards the battery box.  I could get to all the screws easy.  Just removed the boot between the carb and airbox(?).  

Unfortunately, I don't drink.  However... I may just start cause of this.  Wasted a beautiful day with the tank on the ground.  Should have been riding.  Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Brewbrother
Serious Thumper

Just lending a
helping hand.

Reply #7 - 09/18/06 at 18:58:06

Veritas wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
No, no welder.  I guess I'll try the penetrating fluid.

I've tried the vice grips to no avail.  Yeah, I've been going lefty loosey.  I don't feel too comfortable using the impact driver again cause I keep shoving the carb closer and closer towards the battery box.  I could get to all the screws easy.  Just removed the boot between the carb and airbox(?).  

Unfortunately, I don't drink.  However... I may just start cause of this.  Wasted a beautiful day with the tank on the ground.  Should have been riding.  Roll Eyes

start drilling screws. Its a last resort.

Opportunities multiply as they are seized.
No spacer,60 pilot jet, 155 main jet, plug door, sportster muffler, k&n drop in, iridium plug, brake pedal mod,de-badged, Dunlops, bullet turn signals.
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #8 - 09/18/06 at 19:51:15

Sears has some new really fine easy outs that have a drill on one end and the easy out on the other - you can drill almost from the top of the screw through the bottom - used in a proper drill like a 2 speed dewalt in low and just barely touch the trigger it will pop them loose.

IP Logged
Veritas
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 09/18/06 at 20:53:00

easy out?  what is it?

Oh, and I don't have a proper drill.  I have a dremel with drill bits.  Will that be strong enough to do the job?  I also have a dinky little 6v black&decker mom-drill.  You know the kind thats used just to hang pictures in the dining room?

Just started wrenching.  I have "decent" hand tools but almost no real power tools.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #10 - 09/19/06 at 05:41:55

Well, an easyout is a

guess sears calls it a bolt out here if the link works

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?cat=Hand+Tools%2C+General+Purpose&p...

the dremel is a excellent tool for any garage but this is not the job for it as it develops very high rpms(30k) and very little torque - a low speed high torque drill is what you need to break them loose, like a 14-18v these shifted to low will dang near flyout of your hand if they bind up - sorry might want to keep the 6v power screw driver in the box it came in and put it at the top of the closet.

The other deal is to match the phillps head size to right bit size - granted these carb screws seem to have some serious thread locker on them and even with the right tools and technique it's difficult to get all 8 out clean - but say the little screws at the bottom of the slide are tiny little things but they are a #1 phillips which is pretty good size driver compared to the screw - but if you use a phillips #0 bit on those screws there's very high odds you'll strip them out. I can't remember if the carb case screws are #2 or #3 as I pitched them in the trash

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #11 - 09/19/06 at 06:04:54

Try filing flat spots on the sides of the screw heads. Then use a pair of small vice grips to grab them with. Drilling the heads off is the other way to go.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Veritas
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 09/19/06 at 08:23:32

Heh, yeah.  The 6v stays hidden unless I, or my mom (heart condition) needs to do something small.  I guess I should go invest in a good drill and some quality bits.  I think I'm gonna just drill the sucker out.

But, it's 80deg and sunny right now, so I'm gonna spend some quality time of a different persuasion with my baby.  We're going for a ride!  I'll take her apart next month when she's sitting in my room...

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #13 - 09/19/06 at 10:55:21

It's nice that a carb is a small item and you can do this.  Take it off the bike and put it in the freezer for several hours.  Then try it.  Freezing causes the metal of the both the carb and the screws to contract.  I've done this before and it works.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Scottwerty

It's not a Gang!
It's a Club!

Mass
Reply #14 - 09/19/06 at 13:51:12

I must be the only one who didn't have a problem with these screws.  I used a phillips socket for my rachet wrench did it slow and took all 8 screws out in 3 minutes. Course, the screws can't already be mangled for this to work.  replaced those suckers with ss allens

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 15:24:55

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Carb Screws... gah!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.