Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Re: Clutch Slippage
Reply #30 - 09/29/06 at 05:14:53

911radioman wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
Even if you decide not to stick with the Shell Rotella, it might be worth considering, say, Castrol GTX 20W-50.  The clutch may well like that heavier oil.

Except for this experiment with the Rotella T, all I've ever run in her has been either 15w50 or 20w50 motorcycle-specific pure synthetics.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #31 - 09/29/06 at 05:24:46

"Slippery'er" (don't think that's a word) oil will do a better job of lubing the cylinder wall, bearings, gears, etc.  The catch is the clutch because its "wet".  The best solution would be to shim the clutch springs to make them grab harder and run the best oil you can.  Next alternative is to go to less slippery oil.  In the long run stiffer clutch springs and slippery oil will save wear and tear on parts but isn't as appealing for the short term.  (The work involved.)

I just got a '98 Savage with 700 miles on her and I think there's "stealership" oil in her now.  I'm putting in Amsoil 10-40 next go, any slippage = shimmed springs...
Just my 2 cents .

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #32 - 09/29/06 at 06:12:08

That's my basic plan.  I am replacing the OEM springs with Barnett versions and shimming them at the same time.  The main reason for my using the synthetic though is for it's resistance to various pitfalls like shearing and thermal viscosity breakdown.  I use the motorcycle-specific synthetics to avoid the additional slipperiness you'll find in auto synthetics, which emply various friction modifiers for that purpose.  Anyway, using the Rotella T was only meant as an experiment to see if it made a noticeable difference.  However, with the majority of opinions I've read concerning its use with bikes, I'd consider running it all the time if it wasn't for the higher ash content and the potential for combustion chamber fouling.  When it comes to the bike-specific synthetics, I believe the Mobil 1, Amsoil and Maxum4 Extra are comparable to each other in quality.  I ran the Maxum4 Extra 15w50 for a while because I got a great deal on several liters of it a couple of years ago.  Under normal everyday conditions, Mobil 1 V-Twin 20w50 at Wal-Mart seems to be the best buy.  There is a lot of info out there on them and this is an oft-discussed topic on almost every bike site I've come across.  I am aware of several threads on this board in the past few years concerning it.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #33 - 10/15/06 at 16:20:50

Well, I drained and discarded the Rotella T, pulled the exhaust and right footpeg assembly.... and realized I hadn't bought a new gasket for the clutch cover. Bleh.

So I just did a once-over on the bike, replaced the oil filter and put in fresh Mobil1 and put the exhaust back on with a new crushable gasket.  However, I did notice something else.  It seems the last time I adjusted and lubed my cables (when I replaced my handlebars), I did away with the freeplay on the clutch cable.  It may have been too tight.  I don't know if that may have contributed to my symptoms or not.  Anyway, I've ordered the clutch cover gasket and still plan to replace the springs but I might wait until the next regular oil change.

barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #34 - 10/16/06 at 18:55:36

Yep...no clutch free-play can play havoc with clutch engagement Shocked

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
Oklahoma_Mike
2005 No Login

With two on the
ground love can be
found

Tulsa Oklahoma Area
Reply #35 - 10/18/06 at 07:58:37

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
I don't know if that may have contributed to my symptoms or not.

majorly! IMHO

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #36 - 10/18/06 at 08:41:08

It definitely did.  Once I found it I was afraid it was the reason but at least I found it before replacing the springs.  I'm still not sure how/why I did it, because I know to leave freeplay, but I obviously hosed it.  She seems to be just fine now and she's running with Mobil 1 20w50.  I'll hang onto the springs and gasket because I'm sure I'll need 'em at some point.  In the mean time, I think I won't fix what ain't broke.

My apologies to all for the apparent wild goose chase.  Maybe this can help someone else avoid making the same mistake.

barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #37 - 10/18/06 at 14:23:18

Hey, sorry Savage_Rob!  I should have had your back on that one...did that once or twice myself.

Well, now I won't do THAT one... Wink

IP Logged
Oklahoma_Mike
2005 No Login

With two on the
ground love can be
found

Tulsa Oklahoma Area
Reply #38 - 11/03/06 at 08:17:22

Rob,

Did Lancer get you those springs? How much were they. I have the same clutch problem. Mine however is not the freeplay. My bike was made in the 80's a well over do for a new set if time is the killer.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #39 - 11/03/06 at 09:58:48

Oklahoma_Mike wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
Rob,

Did Lancer get you those springs? How much were they. I have the same clutch problem. Mine however is not the freeplay. My bike was made in the 80's a well over do for a new set if time is the killer.

Yes he did.  I think they were about $10 or $12 + S/H for the set of Barnetts.

Oklahoma_Mike
2005 No Login

With two on the
ground love can be
found

Tulsa Oklahoma Area
Reply #40 - 11/03/06 at 10:21:13

Thank you sir
I am trying to get in touch with him to get the info and stuff.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 19:31:39

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Clutch Slippage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.