Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Clutch Slippage
09/14/06 at 21:02:07

I just changed my oil about a month ago but I'm feeling what seems to be clutch slippage at high revs a bit before it grabs and goes.  The bike's mileage is low enough (< 8k miles) that I find real clutch wear issues to be unlikely and I've been using Maxxum 4 synthetic in her.  I only noticed it after I put the Amal carb on and only when I really twist the throttle.  I'm theorizing the CV carb smooths out the power ramp enough for me not to catch this.  I can hear/feel the engine rev higher shortly before she begins to pull significantly.  Anyway, I've heard a lot of folks tout Mobil 1, so I thought I'd give it a shot.  Thoughts?

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
babbalou
Serious Thumper

Lewisville, Texas
Re: Gonna Try Mobil 1
Reply #1 - 09/14/06 at 21:50:02

I ran Mobil 1 car oil in my old Nighthawk 650 & didn't get any slippage & I ran the dogs**t  out of that bike. But if it's slipping some on the Maxxum I'd go with the cycle specific Mobil 1. Heard good stuff about Amsoil cycle oil too.

Had an S40 Jul '04-Jan '07
WWW   IP Logged
clueless-FSO

Birmingham, Al
Reply #2 - 09/15/06 at 03:42:22

Rob,
Been running 20W50 synthetic in mine for awhile.  Seemed to help with the clutch too. Just my .02 Grin

'96 Black "bed liner" paint.. Ed_L forward controls, HD bars with 1"socket risers, 155 main, pod filter, HD exhaust, punched baffle, modded seat, chain drive conversion, slavy mod
one of a kind
WWW   IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #3 - 09/15/06 at 04:54:20

M1 vtwin 20w50 in the '95 and 10w40 in the '02. I do get a little clutch slipage on the '95 @24k miles - of course I still have the new clutch in the box and heavy duty clutch springs from Vesrah (#VSK306) to put in when ever my round-to-it shows up - it would be pretty interesting to just change out the springs and see if the slipage is gone and for how long.

IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #4 - 09/15/06 at 05:21:05

Rob,

I ran Mobil 1 15-50 in my Savage without any problems from the first oil change. I'm doing the same in my Concours which is a different beast, but also without any problems.

IP Logged
Balderdash

Minnesota
Reply #5 - 09/15/06 at 05:23:20

Do you have to go to a bike shop specific to get Mobil 1 10/40?  

I went to my usual car parts store (O'Reilly) and they had about 6 different types of Mobil 1 but not the two bike kinds.  They had another brand of all synthetic 10/40, but I thought I'd look around a little bit first since it's not urgent.  

What kind of store do you guys find this stuff in?  

Why would I try the 20/50 instead of the 10/40 anyway?

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #6 - 09/15/06 at 05:51:14

I've been using the Maxxum 4 bike-specific full synthetic 15w50.  I just picked up some regular Mobil 1 15w50 at Wal-Mart and planned to change it out this weekend.  If it still slips with this, I'll use standard dino-juice and see how she feels.  If that still slips, I'll crack her open and check out the clutch.  If it doesn't slip, I'll experiment with other bike-specific synthetics or blends.  I'll let y'all know.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #7 - 09/15/06 at 07:17:31

might want to try just some washers under the clutch springs - if I remember correct Slavy believes it will correct minor clutch slipage - seems like it's time not miles before most of them slip a bit - bet the springs are getting slightly weaker over time.

The 20w50 makes the '95 top end much quiter than 10w40 in the summer heat and seems to keep the clutch a bit happier - but I really don't run it very hard at all.

on the mobil 1 cycle oil - the oreillys is where I buy it - the 20w50 is vtwin the 10w40 is mx4t - they do not have a lot but normally have a case of each on the shelf.

Not sure I'd pour car syn M1 in a bike -

http://www.mobil1.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Motorcycle_Oil_FAQs.aspx

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #8 - 09/15/06 at 07:19:56

Balderdash wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
Do you have to go to a bike shop specific to get Mobil 1 10/40?  

I went to my usual car parts store (O'Reilly) and they had about 6 different types of Mobil 1 but not the two bike kinds.  They had another brand of all synthetic 10/40, but I thought I'd look around a little bit first since it's not urgent.  

What kind of store do you guys find this stuff in?  

Why would I try the 20/50 instead of the 10/40 anyway?

one of our wal marts has it  the other doesnt...

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #9 - 09/15/06 at 07:43:44

thumperclone wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
one of our wal marts has it  the other doesnt...

Guess which wally world has an auto dept. manager who rides?  Smiley

IP Logged
bentwheel
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ride free, citizen

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Reply #10 - 09/16/06 at 10:45:02

Savage_Rob, I can't help but think switching to a very lubricious synthetic Mobil 1 would only worsen your mild clutch slip problem. I do believe however that switching oil brands of the same viscosity, or thicker sometimes improves clutch performance. I prefer your idea of testing dino oil to alieviate clutch slip.
Another thing to consider is the enhanced engine mods you made are now stressing  your clutch springs. I also believe that stock Savage springs are the weak link in our clutch problems. I miked a set of plates from a badly slipping Savage clutch pack and found them well within Suzuki tolerance, in fact they were thicker than the Barnett replacement ones. I changed the plates because I had them on my bench, but I am convinced that changing the springs (also within specs) and shimming them was all that was required.
Anyways, experiment with different oil and see if that solves your clutch concern. You may get a couple of more years out of your clutch, but I think you know that you have exposed your clutch (springs) as a future concern.

Bentwheel FSO
2006 Suzuki 650 V-Strom
1977 Yamaha XS360
1972 Honda CL175
  IP Logged
911radioman
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 09/16/06 at 14:25:06

I gotta tell ya, my Savage is really liking the Shell Rotella 15W-40.  I think out of all the oils I've ever ran in my bikes, this is by far the best and it's pretty economical too, as far as that goes.  Might want to give that a shot if you haven't already tried it.

IP Logged
pmanntex
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 09/17/06 at 07:36:58

i used mobil 1 10w-40 initially.  after two oil changes switched to 20w-50 Castrol ActEVO.  bike shifts much better and doesn't seem to be generating as much engine heat.  

I am running in texas summer, though; you may have a different experience if you are in a cooler climate.

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #13 - 09/17/06 at 11:36:25

???  whats   dino oil ?? non syn ??
also is it true once you go syn you cant go  back??
if i want to "flush"the oil system what would i use???

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #14 - 09/18/06 at 07:00:14

So far as changing to Mobil 1, I thought I'd give it a shot since I was already on a motorcycle-specific pure synthetic.  If I were experiencing slippage with dino juice, I wouldn't even consider it.  If it doesn't make a big difference (and at this point I'm hopeful but doubtful), I'll replace the springs.  In fact, I'm almost inclined to replace them anyway since they're not expensive.  So far as mods go, I'd agree that some would make slippage more noticeable.  Specifically the Amal carb not being a CV delivers nearly instant response as opposed to the sloped increase with the stock BS40.

And TC...

Yes, dinosaur juice would be non-synthetic.  You can go back if you want to, though it'll probably take 1 or 2 changes to fully flush all of the old.  In the hotter climes, I'm pretty much sold on synthetic as long as I don't encounter any intractable leaks.  I know some HD guys who hate synthetic because it finds and exploits any leak points.  I have not had any trouble with that though... other than the notorious plug leak (now fixed) and a bolt that needed torquing.

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 15:37:37

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Clutch Slippage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.