Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Fork Lock Key (what's the frequency Kenneth?) (Read 12 times)
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Fork Lock Key (what's the frequency Kenneth?)
09/14/06 at 10:34:13

Hey all,

Only got one key with my '87 when I bought it a few weeks ago. Had the good sense to go to the locksmith yesterday and get a copy made. Luckily it fits the tank too, and the locksmith said he could re-key the toolbox lock I have "on order" (from a dealer of course)  to match the one key.

The bad news: He said he's never been able to match a missing fork lock key to the existing lock without the owner (or shop) removing the lock through the INSIDE first!

Dropping the front suspension to fix said lock seems like a lot of work, but I'd like to have everything 100% working. One old post I searched up talked about drilling out the fork lock, popping it out, and simply popping in a new one from the outside with the key in it; then remove the key... made it sound easy.

Before I start drilling, I'd just like to see if anyone else has done this, and if it really is a simple operation.

Help from anyone with experience/knowledge in this area greatly appreciated!

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Re: Fork Lock Key (what's the frequency Kenneth?)
Reply #1 - 09/14/06 at 12:58:41

dont drill the lock try the rivet that holds the swing cover
in place think this holds the lock in place ,done this on my other bike when i broke the key off in it..
youd think a locksmith would be able to do it??

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
sbunton
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 09/14/06 at 14:15:29

I had the same problem when I purchased my used Savage.  I bought the replacement lock cylendar kit from the local dealership for about $20.00.  It came with two keys, lock cylendar, rivit, and lock door.  It took about 10minutes to replace.

I pulled the rivit from the lock door and it didn't work, had to drill it.

IP Logged
SavageDude
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

OC_California
Reply #3 - 09/14/06 at 17:53:55

JMO. That fork lock is so flimsy anyone could break it in a heart-beat. Why not invest in a front disk lock ($15-20) to prevent those joy-rider thief.

2005 S40, debadged, Tkat FB, saddle bags, sissy bar, HD Sporter muff, Fly screen, white spacer mod, 150 main jet.....and sssslowly upgrading
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 14:28:54

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Fork Lock Key (what's the frequency Kenneth?)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.