Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Head gasket leak question (Read 1 times)
samweber
Ex Member

Head gasket leak question
09/13/06 at 05:34:49

I recently replaced the head gasket on my 2000.  It was leaking oil from the left front corner.  After putting it all back together, it still leaks at the same place.  From the shop manual, it looks like they don't recommend applying sealer to the gasket so I didn't.  I used the factory replacement parts.  Should I have used a sealer?  Could the head be warped?

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Re: Head gasket leak question
Reply #1 - 09/13/06 at 06:18:38

In all likelyhood you have the infamous plug leak see this post - http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1099227295

IP Logged
samweber
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 09/13/06 at 11:01:24

If you're right, I'm gonna scream.  I looked at the plug when I did the head gasket the first time but I hadn't taken advantage of all the great information on this site so I just put the plug back and kept moving.  When I got it all back together, the chain tensioner separated and destroyed itself.  I'm now waiting for another set of parts and gaskets.  Now I'm thinking that I didn't have to do the head gasket at all.  Argggh.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #3 - 09/13/06 at 12:25:08

I guess it's probably a good thing a scream isn't so alarming when you're reading it as opposed to hearing it.  I'm betting Reelthing's right.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
samweber
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 09/15/06 at 05:30:10

Yes, the infamous plug leak.  That's the problem.  It's obvious now that I understand what I'm looking at.  Thanks Reelthing.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #5 - 09/15/06 at 05:49:12

It is an ugly little devil - as the oil leaks it does so right into a wind passage and since it's wind blown it can go just about anywhere - when it gets really bad it splaters oil all over the battery box - that at least makes it easier than when it just starts to seep a little than the oil seems to curl around the head.
Good luck with it

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 20:34:48

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Head gasket leak question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.