Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Help!! My battery just died. Sitting at mall... (Read 1 times)
mirmont
Ex Member

Help!! My battery just died. Sitting at mall...
09/06/06 at 14:05:38

Hey guys,

I had to catch a cab home to come grab my instruction manual...My motorcycle battery died. I accidently left the key in the ignition for a few hours..

I have a portable battery jumper, but I have NO IDEA how to get the battery out. It says absolutely nothing in the manual about it. Does anyone know what I can do??

Any help, pictures or tutorials is excellent. Thank you!

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Re: Help!! My battery just died. Sitting at mall..
Reply #1 - 09/06/06 at 14:19:54

those portables kick butt, but are hard to get onto a savage witht he battery still hooked up...

The chrome box below the seat holds the battery and some tools.  Unlock the toolbox, and there should now be three, I think, screws that will allow you access to the battery.  Now let's see what I can remember.  Not much.  you need to disconect the terminals.  If I recall, disconnect the right side first, to prevent sparking when you touch the frame w/ something metal (tools).

You will likely need to disconnect the battery.  A #2 philips screwdriver will work, but I like an 8 or 10 mm socket on an extension, 1/4" drive, better.  Don't strip out the soft lead screws as much.  Once you disconnect, yank the battery and charge it for a bit, reconnect the bat and see if it'll go.  You will lielly need to remove the seat to disconnect the terminals.  A 12 or 14mm socket will do the trick.  Once the seat is off, you should be able to look straight down and see where the wires connect to the bat, kinda inside the frame.

May also be able to push start it in 2nd.  

I doubt you can get the jump pack leads onto the savage's bat leads while the bat is still connected, which would be ideal.

If you can just get the left side lead connected to the bat terminal while the bat is hooked up, you can prolly just clamp the black/ground lead to the frame or engine and crank away.

Good luck (hope that wasn't too meandering!)

V

IP Logged
mirmont
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 09/06/06 at 14:30:53

Thanks a lot brother! I'm going to print this out and head back to the bike... So is this simple? By push start you mean just running with it in second and trying to turn it on?

vroom1776 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
those portables kick butt, but are hard to get onto a savage witht he battery still hooked up...

The chrome box below the seat holds the battery and some tools.  Unlock the toolbox, and there should now be three, I think, screws that will allow you access to the battery.  Now let's see what I can remember.  Not much.  you need to disconect the terminals.  If I recall, disconnect the right side first, to prevent sparking when you touch the frame w/ something metal (tools).

You will likely need to disconnect the battery.  A #2 philips screwdriver will work, but I like an 8 or 10 mm socket on an extension, 1/4" drive, better.  Don't strip out the soft lead screws as much.  Once you disconnect, yank the battery and charge it for a bit, reconnect the bat and see if it'll go.  You will lielly need to remove the seat to disconnect the terminals.  A 12 or 14mm socket will do the trick.  Once the seat is off, you should be able to look straight down and see where the wires connect to the bat, kinda inside the frame.

May also be able to push start it in 2nd.  

I doubt you can get the jump pack leads onto the savage's bat leads while the bat is still connected, which would be ideal.

If you can just get the left side lead connected to the bat terminal while the bat is hooked up, you can prolly just clamp the black/ground lead to the frame or engine and crank away.

Good luck (hope that wasn't too meandering!)

V

IP Logged
steelwolf
Serious Thumper

"I'm a cowboy,
on a steel horse I
ride."

Trinity, NC
Reply #3 - 09/06/06 at 14:35:50

No. he means running with it in 2nd clutch pulled in and then jumping on and releasing the clutch and then pulling it in real quick when the engine fires. All with the switch already on. But if the battery is compleatly dead it probably won't work anyhow. You need juice in the battery for the plug to fire. Not much but some.

WWW   IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #4 - 09/06/06 at 14:55:38

the terminal on the tool box side is pos + slide batt out inch or so and clamp on jumper  cable,hook neg of jumper to bolt holding the starter on...left my key on too many times now have 12v power port and adaptor...

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #5 - 09/06/06 at 18:52:54

Or use jumper cables or the booster and a long shank phillips screwdriver with the shank wrapped in 2 layers of electrical tape except for the pointy end and enough up near the handle to clamp on the + cable from your external power source. (or plan B the shank is encased in a old piece of plastic fuel line - not black rubber as it may have enought carbon in it to be conductive.) - (minus or black lead)  goes on the starter hold down bolt or engine bolt. carefully slide the shank of the SD down to + terminal of the battery and have a helper pull in the clutch lever and work the starter switch and choke as needed. Do remember to charge the battery back full when you get home as the alternator is a battery maintainer not a charger. Works for me and I keep the SD in the rack at the ready when I need it. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Reply #6 - 09/07/06 at 06:34:27

debby killed her battery the other day, i managed to get a full sized battery charger clamp on the pos+ terminal and neg- clamp to the the engine case, it took a bit of attention to detail not to short out on something and the removal of the rubber boot on the pos+ batt term(which was torn already) the chrome side cover and the three screw retainer bracket, but i managed.

dyna muff,1/2 spacer,152.5,55,drilled air box,idle mix,spark plug door,harley bars & seat,spitfire windshield,turn signal,dunlops,man.pethingy,ISO pegs,engine cage,hiway pegs,support 81
  IP Logged
MacAttack
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 09/07/06 at 08:32:57

Just push-start your bike. Much easier than going through the hassle of getting at your battery.

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #8 - 09/07/06 at 09:49:29

Max,

great idea w/ the screw driver & electrical tape!

IP Logged
mirmont
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 09/08/06 at 07:15:04

Thanks for all the replys guys! I was able to just slide the battery out about an inch, clamp on the positive, and the negative I put on the rear brake petal.

Gave it a start and off she goes!! I didn't have to take the seat off either. Just the battery pulled out a bit. Thanks again for the support!

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #10 - 09/08/06 at 11:00:37

I suggest not using the brake pedal as if the frond path ended up through the return spring it would overheat it and it would not work correctly. Best electrical plan is to ground on the engine close to the starter. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
chris.heff
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 09/08/06 at 15:42:35

Be careful boosting your bike.  I fried my voltage regulator doing that.  Costs lots of money to replace.  Luckily I had a spare from a bike I stripped for parts.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/26/24 at 16:15:05

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Help!! My battery just died. Sitting at mall...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.