Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
air fuel screw (Read 35 times)
tefinous
Ex Member

air fuel screw
08/16/06 at 16:52:27

ok i know this is probably in the forums somewhere but i am getting wal-eyed from reading about the savage for the last 3 hours (very helpful stuff i might add) i bought my savage from a dealer used with one previous owner and i have since then installed a after market H.D. pipe (very loud) called a wild pig and am starting to do the carb work wel i have run into a problem and need a new air fuel screw for the idle mixture it is completly stripped out and i am gonna have to tap it and remove with a extractor i need to find out where to order a new air/fuel screw first though but havent had much luck...........

nik

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Re: air fuel screw
Reply #1 - 08/16/06 at 17:13:02

bikerbandit.com or ronayers.com or your local stealer ship.  Are you talking about the PMS screw?  or are you talking about the air screws?

See this thread in the tech sect.

note the differences from year to year.

IP Logged
tefinous
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 08/17/06 at 08:08:38

it would be the pilot screw or commenly refered to as the idle screw......thanks for the info mucho appreciated

IP Logged
tefinous
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 08/17/06 at 17:09:16

from the above link with the pictures of the carb. opened up it is refered to as the idle mixture screw not the idle speed screw. idle mixture is the one on the right side which is the one that is stripped out on my carb. give me a 1 being the easiest and a 10 being the hardest rating on the rejetting of the carb i mean i have never been into a carb before. are the jets in a sense just screwed into place or do they have all their own adjustments on each jet. i have the jet kit on the way and was gonna have the shope rework it for me for 150 but if it is just a remove and replace then i can do that. i have 6 years exp. as a mechanic working on garbage trucks but never opened a carb before. how hard could it be?????

nik

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #4 - 08/18/06 at 06:58:09

Rejetting is very easy but I haven't replaced the pilot adjustment screw.  The jets are just a matter of dropping the float bowl off the bottom.  You will probably want to replace the access screws with stainless allen screws for easier access later.  The main jet is easily visible and just as easy to remove.  The pilot jet is in a recess forward of the main jet and requires a smalled screwcriver to access.  Mine was locked in place and stripped quickly.  I just used an EZ-Out to remove it and then put the new one in.  In general, you may have a tougher time just getting the four phillips screws out than actually rejetting.  Some folks remove the battery box for access but I didn't have to.  Also, some folks recommend loosening the clamps that hold the carb so that it can be rotated for easier access.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
babbalou
Serious Thumper

Lewisville, Texas
Reply #5 - 08/18/06 at 18:49:15

I ordered a new pilot screw awhile back, BikeBandit or RonAyers, can't remember. Mine was stuck & I used a reverse drill bit to remove it. Broke off a chunk of aluminum but I JB Welded (glue) it back on & the screw threaded right in like new.

Had an S40 Jul '04-Jan '07
WWW   IP Logged
tefinous
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 08/18/06 at 21:59:25

thanks for the sudgestion im gonna try it this tuesday and wednesday 2 days off in a row WOOHOO ill let ya know how it turned out and what i had to do lol

nik

IP Logged
JerryAssburger
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 08/19/06 at 23:07:34

Welcome to my problem, too, tefinous! It stinks when someone wastes the screw like that. How much is the new mixture screw?

IP Logged
tefinous
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 08/20/06 at 08:58:03

lets see i went to the local suzuki,yamaha, dealer and they had to order it straight from suzuki the screw itself for me was $7.50 i also ordered the spring, washer and o-ring and they were in order spring $3.25 washer $1.78 and o-ring was $3.78 i wanted to get all the related parts because i wasent sure what i might end up doing to have to remove the screw since it was striped out. i was pondering taking a small but sharp chisle to the screw with some light taps of the hammer to set a new groove in it fortunatly i have one in my box. i love reaping the benifits of being an ex-mechanic i still have over $10k worth of tools left............

nik

IP Logged
tefinous
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 08/20/06 at 09:09:29

[glow=red,2,300]"The main jet is easily visible and just as easy to remove.  The pilot jet is in a recess forward of the main jet and requires a smalled screwcriver to access [/glow]."<--------------is a direct quote from savage-rob.....question are you saying that i should replace my pilot jet as well when i change my main jet or was that just a reference so that i might know which is which in relevence if the floats??????

nik

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #10 - 08/20/06 at 12:06:22

tefinous wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
[glow=red,2,300][i]question are you saying that i should replace my pilot jet as well when i change my main jet or was that just a reference so that i might know which is which in relevence if the floats?

Just telling you where it is.  You shouldn't need to change the pilot jet unless you can't adjust the pilot circuit enough without changing it.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
tefinous
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 08/20/06 at 22:38:45

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
Just telling you where it is.  You shouldn't need to change the pilot jet unless you can't adjust the pilot circuit enough without changing it.

ok kewl thanks i didnt think i needed to.. the first thing i thought was oh crap i need to go out and spend more money....heck i spent about $225.00 so far on a new idle mixture screw, a o-ring,spring, and washer for the idle mixture and jet kit and 152.5 main, and a brand new barnett kevlar friction clutch disc's and oem steel clutch plates and new barnett clutch springs with 30% more stiffness for the clutch.........i figured this should make the savage happy for at least a few months until i need to replace the front brakes.........has anyone found a better braking system for the front i mean like maybe a set with larger than normal brake pads and maybe a oversized caliper and disc....just a curious question?????

nik

IP Logged
911radioman
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 08/20/06 at 22:40:26

I guess I'm the odd man out here, as I just don't see any problems with the braking system on the Savage -- front or rear.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #13 - 08/21/06 at 06:11:56

I'm okay with it.  I think it's just fine for the mass it's slowing/stopping.  However, I will be installing ceramic pads at the next change.

vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #14 - 08/21/06 at 08:40:24

tefinous wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
i love reaping the benifits of being an ex-mechanic i still have over $10k worth of tools left............

nik

Still have?  You been selling them?  Don't you know that as soon as you get rid of your tools, you will instantly become a mechanic again, and need to but them all over again?   Grin

My pops sells Matco tools.  He's seen this happen to many folks!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 00:28:28

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › air fuel screw

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.