Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Oil Cooler so Far
08/11/06 at 12:11:37

Decided to take on the challenge of installing an oil cooler on my '02. Here is a teaser showing how far the project has gotten.
 http://www.bikepics.com/pictures/653757/
Still looks a bit ratty but is coming along fine, just need one more trip to the hardware store for some small stuff and it will be ready to test. The cooler came off a GXSR, should of gotten the lines along with the cooler. Ended up making the pieces the hose nipples fit into. I haven't blocked any of the oil lines in the block so most of the oil will follow the orignial route. Hook up will be thru the front plug which I drilled out and brazed a 3/8 piece of brake hose into, the return will go to the brass elbow on the side cover. Thought everybody was getting tired of carbs and backfires so here is something different for the weekend. Cheesy

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Re: Oil Cooler so Far
Reply #1 - 08/11/06 at 12:27:45

It doesn't look too bad from that image.  Keep us posted.  This is definitely something we don't see in full repetition here.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #2 - 08/11/06 at 13:36:18

Good work Ed!  Can't wait to hear/see/read the final results!

V

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #3 - 08/12/06 at 11:51:15

It works, added an extra 3/4 of a quart of oil to the engine capacity. Let it idle for 10 minutes and the cooler got too hot to touch. Filling it was simple, just let the engine run for 15 or so seconds, clamped the line running to the cooler, shut the engine off and refilled to the line on the sightglass. By clamping the "to" line I was able to isolate the cooler from the rest of the engine. Did it three times and didn't need to add any more oil after the second refill. Blow by blow pictures will follow, da*m shop is close to 100 degrees, need to hit the pool and have a beer. Think this changes my '02 into a Rat or at least a Frankenstein.
 Here are a couple pf pictures of the finished project
 http://www.bikepics.com/pictures/654677/
 http://www.bikepics.com/pictures/654680/

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #4 - 08/12/06 at 17:54:34

That doesn't look bad at all Ed.  I think I'd go for some braided stainless in the connecting lines though.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #5 - 08/12/06 at 18:59:06

good looking install!saw a by pass valve by Jagg they also have a small oil cooler kit for  $27...
when i had a hopped up 100 in my ct 70(honda clone)
put a head breather off the intake valve tappet cover as  cheap insurance to protect gaskets from any excessive pressures that MAY be created by the higher volume of oil...saw an automatic by pass also(cant find yet) that bypasses the cooler when temp is below 50 f.

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #6 - 08/12/06 at 20:14:40

OUTFRANKENSTANDING!! Grin

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #7 - 08/12/06 at 20:38:30

looks right fine Ed - are you going to block the other oil path or just leave it as is?

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #8 - 08/13/06 at 08:27:07

I'm just leaving it as is with the internal oil passage way open. Even putting a restrictor in makes me nervous. There was no real easy, safe way to block it off and keeping it open allows me to isolate the cooler with the engine running and use the sight glass to check on the oil level. Took a while to figure that out, might put a ball valve in the "to" line instead of clamping the hose with vice grips. Think a ball valve would be a good idea, then you could isolate the cooler in cold weather. An automatic temp controlled bypass valve would be cool to have but there isn't a lot of room to work  with, there is a big ol exhaust pipe in the way. I was a bit nervous about welding onto the downtube of the frame so ended up using hose clamps to attach the brackets with. Thinking about shooting the cooler and brackets with some rattlecan black paint to hide it when I get the time.
   Can't get out to ride for a few days, my wife has a real bad ear infection and it looks like I'm elected to
keep an eye on her till the fever breaks. Undecided
  Oh yeah, a big thanks to Lancer, couldn't of done the cooler without the oil flow diagram he posted on another thread.     

IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #9 - 08/13/06 at 13:21:04

Good Job! Way Cool! Keep us posted on how well this mod works man!

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
JerryAssburger
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 08/13/06 at 22:44:01

Holy Cow! You  ROCK! God bless the people who spin wrenches and bruise their knuckles to put sound ideas into action. I REALLY can't wait to try this on my poor unsuspecting bike....

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #11 - 08/14/06 at 09:10:44

NICE!

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #12 - 08/14/06 at 12:19:35

Here are the down and dirty pics of tapping the return line and a shot of the oil plug I ended up modifying into a hose fitting.
 Tapping the hole for the return line
   http://www.bikepics.com/pictures/655182/
What the hole looked like when done
   http://www.bikepics.com/pictures/655184/
Grinding a little relief so the return elbow fits
   http://www.bikepics.com/pictures/656316/
 A mockup of the return elbow and hose fitting
   http://www.bikepics.com/pictures/655193/
The modified oil plug
   http://www.bikepics.com/pictures/655187/
The cooler after a shot of black spray paint.
  http://www.bikepics.com/pictures/656338/
Didn't take any pics of the mounting brackets, used 1/8x3/4 inch flat stock and a big hammer to bend them into the right shape. Any small oil cooler would work as long as there is a way to mount it, the one I used came off a GXSR. Thinking about putting a piece of aluminium over the lower half of the cooler to protect it from road debris that's been kicked up by the front tire. Still need to do an oil and filter change before riding. Now I wish the thumper had a temperature gauge to see if all this really does make it run cooler. Kind of a fun project, not something you can buy off of the shelf.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #13 - 08/14/06 at 12:34:41

Well done.   Wink

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
accessoryinternational.comRe: Oil Cooler so Far
Reply #14 - 08/14/06 at 14:05:33

oil temp gauge>>accessoryinternational.com
part code     AUG2130000
look under gauges ..think it goes where filler plug is..
kinda pricey  $109.99

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 04:29:09

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Oil Cooler so Far

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.