Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Oil Cooler so Far (Read 70 times)
orrin7
Ex Member

Re: Oil Cooler so Far
Reply #15 - 08/14/06 at 16:22:47

looks cool. and neat job. But I have an idea. To keep from redirecting or changing any oil flow in the block. You could just modify your filter cover , put your oil lines into the passeges that feed your filter. This would be the same as using a remote filter on a car engine. Then since you would not have a place for your oem filter. You could use a peterson canister in line filter. Of course you would need to use braided hose and A.N. fittings. Also if you you wanted you could incorporate a oil pressure regulator. Well this is just my two cents worth.

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #16 - 08/14/06 at 18:36:55

I was thinking about going that route but my machining skills aren't up to it and the oil lines would stick out and be in the way. Another way would be to just do away with the oil filter side cover and tap into the holes in the case but it seemed a little risky cause I don't know how much metal there is to work with. If I made a mistake then the entire side case would be trashed plus to do it right I'd need to pull the engine apart. Was too much work for the same results. Gotta keep it simple as possible. Would like to use A.N. fittings with braided hoses but it is real tight in a couple spots and am not sure if there is enough room. Now that it's hooked up I can swing by a hydralic hose store and see if it is possible to switch over to better fittings and lines.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
JerryAssburger
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 08/14/06 at 21:36:11

Still, a beaut of a job no matter what. Since it's low pressure, I'm not sure what there is to sweat about the fittings. Makes me wish I had a way to braze! Isn't that done with a butane torch?

IP Logged
orrin7
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 08/15/06 at 17:03:57

If fitting room is an issue try some 90* fittings. i use some at work that fit in really tight places. they even have a fitting called a banjo fitting that only sticks out about an inch

IP Logged
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Reply #19 - 09/01/06 at 10:07:51

If you want AN fittings check out Earl's Performance products.  In particular get into the UK site to search for parts made for bikes.  I just finished a GSX-R1100 based monster of a street fighter that I replaced the stock cooler with a 19row Earls'.  They have all the metric fittings and 90-s to 180 deg fittings to route anything.  Pricy but beautiful.  They list coolers for most all the sporty suzuki's I will have to check if they have a fittment for the savage.  The key is they have all this figured out in the UK but not in the US where the company is based.  I took the UK pn's to the US customer service and they gave me the us equivalent.  then I ordered them from a local dealer or I also found an bought some cheaper on line.

I am new to the forum but I am planning a major transplant of a savage engine into a different frame to build a 60's style cafe bike.  

WWW   IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #20 - 09/01/06 at 15:58:09

Thanks for the tip for fittings, I'll give them a call and see if they have anything that will work. So far the cooler works great, have ridden a lot of short trips and one 100 mile ride with no problems or leaks. I'm amazed at how much heat comes off the cooler after 10 minutes on the road, guess that means that it is doing it's job. Another plus is that it adds 3/4 of a quart of oil to the engine capacity. now that I know it works I can upgrade the hoses and fittings.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Reply #21 - 09/01/06 at 18:38:08

I would also suggest taking a look at this site

www.earls.co.uk

It is the UK site I referenced.  You should be able to download their motorcycle catalog right on line.  The US guys are through Holley Carb company as the parent company and the customer service is terrible and they are very helpful for what you are trying to do.

Good luck!

WWW   IP Logged
JerryAssburger
Ex Member

Reply #22 - 09/02/06 at 19:06:09

BRAVO, Ed-L! My hat's off to you.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home