Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Re: DIAL-A-JET
Reply #15 - 08/10/06 at 21:02:04

any peformance difference??LANCER wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
The dial-a-jet (DAJ) is designed for the Mikuni VM carb but can be adapted to any.  There is a "deep well" bowl plug they have for use with the dial-a-jet on the VM, and you drill/tap that in order to install a brass fuel port to supply the jet piece.  
When I installed the DAJ  on the stock carb, since the bowl plug is a different size than the DAJ/VM item,  I simply drilled into the bowl itself.  I selected a spot that was on the bottom/side (on the curve slightly) and would not interfer with the floats.  I did not have the exact tap so I drilled the hole to be just slightly smaller than the threads on the brass, then screwed the piece into the bowl.  It was a VERY SNUG fit, the brass threads created threads in the aluminum bowl and it did not leak a drop.  Even when removed and reinstalled it did not leak.

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
voldigicam

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #16 - 08/19/09 at 07:09:15

http://www.jpcycles.com/Search/ProductDetail?sku=401-032&N=0&Ne=0&Ntk=All&Ntt...

Wonder whether these will fit stock carb . . . .  

Should actually tubulate exhaust, I suppose, although I've not seen it done.  Might help just a little, which is all we can hope for!

2007 S40
2003 Volusia 40th Ann.
Friendsville, TN
  IP Logged
PTRider

Reply #17 - 08/19/09 at 07:21:48

thumperclone wrote on 08/06/06 at 03:41:31:
in my youth hanging  out in rod builders garages i remember one taking a ss screen and installing it tween the carb and manifold.. theory is to atomize the fuel into smaller particles..finer mist(like injectors and picture of dial a jet) leaves less lean spots in the air fuel mix = more efficient burn...found two products that use this theory..one is a finned "turbulator"that creats a vortex the other is a cupped screen that "atomizes"....
pg 502 jp cycles hd catalog

The only way any of these gizmos makes a car or bike go faster is due to your lighter wallet.  None of them work at all.  More power and better fuel mileage sell cars and bikes.  If anything like this worked, the manufacturers could make them for a few pennies and put them in every vehicle.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #18 - 08/19/09 at 07:42:08

PTRider wrote on 08/19/09 at 07:21:48:
The only way any of these gizmos makes a car or bike go faster is due to your lighter wallet.  None of them work at all.  More power and better fuel mileage sell cars and bikes.  If anything like this worked, the manufacturers could make them for a few pennies and put them in every vehicle.

Sort of like making a cam chain tensioner that won't fall apart.  For a few pennies they could have an engine that needs servicing instead of a pile of scrap.

WWW   IP Logged
voldigicam

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 08/19/09 at 07:42:49

That's not necessarily a convincing argument.  Much effort goes into making the fuel charge uniform.  Modern fuel injected systems seem to do a pretty good job of this.  The induction systems are also pretty long and highly engineered.  

In contrast, the CV type of mixing looks to be quite dirty.  Post-carb intake lengths are rather short and quite simple.  

Different situations.

2007 S40
2003 Volusia 40th Ann.
Friendsville, TN
  IP Logged
odvelasc
Ex Member

Reply #20 - 08/19/09 at 20:26:54

get the vm roundslide carb. Get yourself the UFO and the dial a jet. The UFO gives great low end grab. Its a different bike when you do these mods. Believe me. You will definitely notice the daj most on the highways. If you are stock, the bike is choking at high speeds. You can open it up a bit with a sporty muffler and rejetting. The daj takes away from having to pull you carb to rejet in colder temps. Just do the full mod by going VM rounslide carb, UFO and daj. I had this on the suzi before I sold, and seviersavage has it right now. Its the best mod for the bike. You will need to have a custom cable made for the new carb. Lancer sells them. I had one made at a shop outside of town.

IP Logged
seviersavage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Smoky Mountains Tennessee
Reply #21 - 08/20/09 at 13:25:03

The DAJ was designed to give you the perfect air fuel mixture. Not too lean and not too fat. Peak horsepower is found in that narrow band of perfect, which conventional jetting rarely gets. Because temperature and humidity and elevation changes constantly your jetting needs will too. Most people will be satisfied with just good enough,but if you want peak performance you might consider adding the DAJ to your carb. For a straight out normal carb  it's safest to jet a little fat so as to avoid excessive heat.
But if you are running the DAJ and your just a little lean, the little induction system will administer an immulsified fuel charge to give you the perfect mixture, where peak horsepower resides.
It is an add only device and will not make it too rich.
Harmonics inside the engine along with pressure drop and air flow excite the mixing valve to draw fuel up from the carb and it's introduced into the carbs throat filling in the gaps in the atomized charge.

This is just whats there on their website for anyone to read.
I have one on my vm carb along with their UFO.

It's important to note that the DAJ will supply up to 10% of your fuel needs so puposfully jetting way lean is asking too much of it. I think maybe 2 jet sizes down from ideal would give you a resonable window for it to work to your advantage.

It does work, but you have to stay within the perameters of the designers.

Seviersavage

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #22 - 08/20/09 at 17:57:45

The original inventor of the DAJ was a guy who held a number of records on the salt flats.  He developed the DAJ to maximize power for his world record runs.  
It is my understanding that Lonn, who owns Thunder Products, bought the rights to the DAJ from the original creator.  I may not have that exactly right but according to my feeble memory that is the way it has come down.

Ah, here it is:  The Dial-A-Jet system was invented by Lonn Peterson became interested in using Dial-A-Jets on snowmobiles in the winter of 1989/90. Lonn recognized a great need for this product in the snowmobile industry. Large altitude and temperature changes had to be dealt with, not to mention engine modifications requiring attention to the fuel system. They worked so well and the feed back was so positive that he decided to buy the company. Lonn and his wife, Ann, now own Dial-A-Jet which is part of Thunder Products, Inc.Dennis Dean, Ph.D. (Doctorate in acoustics). Mr. Dean held over 120 world motorcycle drag racing records and several Bonneville records. The Dial-A-Jet concept was used on all of these machines. He knew that he needed a different fuel curve for the launch area, middle of the track and the end of the track. He also had to deal with different altitudes, temperatures, and air densities. Dial-A-Jet proved to take care of these problems as well as providing that fine tuning edge that meant the difference between winning and losing at this highly competitive level.
Lonn Peterson became interested in using Dial-A-Jets on snowmobiles in the winter of 1989/90. Lonn recognized a great need for this product in the snowmobile industry. Large altitude and temperature changes had to be dealt with, not to mention engine modifications requiring attention to the fuel system. They worked so well and the feed back was so positive that he decided to buy the company. Lonn and his wife, Ann, now own Dial-A-Jet which is part of Thunder Products, Inc.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #23 - 08/20/09 at 18:35:46

voldigicam wrote on 08/19/09 at 07:09:15:
http://www.jpcycles.com/Search/ProductDetail?sku=401-032&N=0&Ne=0&Ntk=All&Ntt...

Wonder whether these will fit stock carb . . . .  

Should actually tubulate exhaust, I suppose, although I've not seen it done.  Might help just a little, which is all we can hope for!

I had those in my 1980 500 Moto Guzzi,They were called Swral Ups Back then.My brother and I always tried high gear roll on when we changed some thing.He had a full dress harley at the time,We were pretty even from 40-65 mph then he would start pulling a head,With the swral up I would pull him were we were even before.He ordered one for his Harley,mean time we try it to a higher speed and he was pulling me more than he did when I didn't have it in.So is what your are doing is making the intake smaller which make you richer and more torque.His came and he put it in and we were back to even again he gained torque too.His spark plugs were light on one side and dark on the other that did change that they burnt more uniform. So instead of buying one of those just put a sleeve in your intake and you have the same thing

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 09:35:59

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › DIAL-A-JET

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.