DIAL-A-JET (Read 177 times)
ONION
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

SOUTH EAST TEXAS
DIAL-A-JET
08/04/06 at 16:20:32

HAS ANY OF YOU TRIED THE DIAL-A-JET FROM THUNDER PRODUCTS. AND IF SO THEN HOW DID IT PREFORM AND WOULD YOU RECOMMEND IT?

IP Logged
steelwolf
Serious Thumper

"I'm a cowboy,
on a steel horse I
ride."

Trinity, NC
Re: DIAL-A-JET
Reply #1 - 08/04/06 at 16:29:14

I think the general concences here is that no jet kit is neccesary. Buy individual jets as you need them. they are cheap even at the dealer.

WWW   IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #2 - 08/04/06 at 16:36:02

ONION wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
HAS ANY OF YOU TRIED THE DIAL-A-JET FROM THUNDER PRODUCTS. AND IF SO THEN HOW DID IT PREFORM AND WOULD YOU RECOMMEND IT?

I think lancer might have messed with a dial-a-jet - the idea seems odd to me that one must create a lean condition so the dial-a-jet can fix it.  ???

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #3 - 08/04/06 at 21:03:09

The idea behind it is to CREATE a lean condition, going down about 3 main jet sizes from what the carb required before.  The Dial-a-jet is designed to supply exactly what is required based on what the engine needs a any moment but without going over.  I have used it with a stock carb that was rejetted previous  to the DAJ being installed and with a stock jetted Amal Mark II.  
Neither of those carbs had the main jet size reduced by the required 3 sizes, which limited the function of the DAJ significantly.  

**This is a corrected statement ... the original was in error regarding the need for lean jetting to allow the DAJ to function normally.

« Last Edit: 08/19/09 at 14:04:10 by LANCER »  
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #4 - 08/04/06 at 21:48:24

LANCER wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
The idea behind it is not to CREATE a lean condition....

Oh I understand the idea is to not create a lean condition in the end - what bothered me was the dial-a-jet documentation where it stated you may need to create one so the dial-a-jet can fix it

here's a rather interesting read on subject, paragraph #7 is what pushes me toward the snake oil side  

"Dial-A-Jet is an add fuel only device. You cannot add fuel to an engine that is running rich or has an adequate fuel supply and hope to gain horsepower. You must create a lean condition so that Dial-A-Jet has a window of opportunity to function."

http://www.thunderproducts.com/dial_a_jet_techpaper.htm  

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #5 - 08/05/06 at 08:48:42

looked at those for another bike.. one thought: if any particles get past your fuel filter they settle in the bottom of your bowl this is where dial a jet is fed from (drain screw) you have to lean out your fuel/air mix for daj to work, if the small line or atomizer jet ever got clogged then you are way too lean..dont know if you could tell if this happened while on the road...maybe a $35 fuel filter would be fine enuf to negate this concern..
daj is a cool concept maybe in a couple of years  i might try it...keep us posted 8)

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #6 - 08/05/06 at 10:05:13

I have spent a good bit of time on the phone with the guy who makes  the Dial-a-jet and I think you are misunderstanding what he is trying to say in that paragraph.  
The lean condition referred to is that small area of jetting that lies between a jet that would be too rich and the next size down that will work properly under most conditions.  If there were a jet size that was half way between the other  2 jets then that would be the better jet to use.  But since there is no "half-step" jet available, that slight lean condition that may be created at times while riding is filled by the dial-a-jet.
He is NOT SUGGESTING that a SIGNIFICANT LEAN CONDITION BE CREATED... not in the least  If you look at a printout from a dyno run where you just jetted/tuned your bike, you will find that there are peaks and valleys where there may be a some slight rich or lean areas along the rpm range.  To remove all of the lean areas you need to go to the next larger jet sizes, which will result in NO LEAN  AREAS but will leave some areas right on and others a little rich.  He is saying to go to the jet sizes just on the lower side of the curve, which give some areas just right and some slightly lean ... and it is those slightly lean areas that are filled in by the dial-a-jet.

This is a long way from running a bike so lean that engine damage would result if the dial-a-jet stopped working.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #7 - 08/05/06 at 10:34:17

All I can go by is their documentation - they ARE suggesting 3 or 4 jet sizes to lean side - that's pretty dang lean!  

You must create a slightly lean condition so the Dial-A-Jet has a working range. This is typically about three or four jet sizes below a properly jetted machine

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #8 - 08/05/06 at 20:06:22

Reelthing wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
All I can go by is their documentation - they ARE suggesting 3 or 4 jet sizes to lean side - that's pretty dang lean!  

You must create a slightly lean condition so the Dial-A-Jet has a working range. This is typically about three or four jet sizes below a properly jetted machine

You are absolutely correct.  I went back and read through the material again and he does suggest a 3-4 jet size toward the lean for maximum function, and that is described as "slightly lean".  I did not remember seeing that before nor him saying anyting about it during our discussions.   Now I need to talk to him again about this because it is, as you said, a big step into the lean territory  while it is called "slightly lean"... that seems more than slightly lean to me..

Thank you for your persistance and helping me to see the error of my ways in this.  Truth must prevail if we are to advance.

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #9 - 08/06/06 at 03:41:31

in my youth hanging  out in rod builders garages i remember one taking a ss screen and installing it tween the carb and manifold.. theory is to atomize the fuel into smaller particles..finer mist(like injectors and picture of dial a jet) leaves less lean spots in the air fuel mix = more efficient burn...found two products that use this theory..one is a finned "turbulator"that creats a vortex the other is a cupped screen that "atomizes"....
pg 502 jp cycles hd catalog

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #10 - 08/06/06 at 06:33:59

Hey Lancer
Would you know how much a dial-a-jet kit is for a Keihin FCR41.

Also do you know anything about Factory Pro HDJ emulsion tubes again for FCR41

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #11 - 08/06/06 at 09:15:16

I tried the turbulator before and did not notice any difference with that one.
I have seen the cupped screen thing but have not tried it.
I think the single carb Dial-a-jet is about $69.  You would need to drill and tap the bowl cap for the fuel source.

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #12 - 08/08/06 at 03:35:52

Hey Lancer,again

What is the fixing system for the jet part of the Dial-a-Jet, Is it more drilling and tapping ?

Thanks.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #13 - 08/08/06 at 05:51:58

The dial-a-jet (DAJ) is designed for the Mikuni VM carb but can be adapted to any.  There is a "deep well" bowl plug they have for use with the dial-a-jet on the VM, and you drill/tap that in order to install a brass fuel port to supply the jet piece.  
When I installed the DAJ  on the stock carb, since the bowl plug is a different size than the DAJ/VM item,  I simply drilled into the bowl itself.  I selected a spot that was on the bottom/side (on the curve slightly) and would not interfer with the floats.  I did not have the exact tap so I drilled the hole to be just slightly smaller than the threads on the brass, then screwed the piece into the bowl.  It was a VERY SNUG fit, the brass threads created threads in the aluminum bowl and it did not leak a drop.  Even when removed and reinstalled it did not leak.

IP Logged
Mr 650
Serious Thumper

The LS650- Classic
style & 4-valve
engine

Mempho
Reply #14 - 08/09/06 at 23:54:13

I like the idea of this thing. "Denco" Dennis Dean ran them on his wicked Kawasakis. The Savage is about 5-10 jet sizes lean (145 stock up to 152,155,157 w/ open pipe) depending on the exhaust setup. Greg talked me out of it before I started messing w/ my stock bike. His point is it was just as easy to drop the bowl and rejet. (Of course anyone that disassembles their engine each winter might Smiley) Added complexity = reduced reliability
I was attracted to the tunablity feature which would be good for finding the right jet size. One might install one and adjust it for awhile and get a good idea of what is required for the the proper jet size and try that. If It ran better w/o the DAJ them just swap it for a stock bowl and sell the complete DAJ to the next guy or keep it if your carb needed '1/2' jet to be right on.

SilverBlue '01,K&N,Snorklectomy,125mm NOS carb, 1/2 spacer & 155, 'Trapp, NC flyscreen, Suzy GelSeat, Osram H4
later..putt. Putt, PUtt, PUTT! 8)
HelmetLawsSuck
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 07:29:11

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › DIAL-A-JET

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.