Send Topic Print
Help! Black oil (Read 7 times)
Ooh_S40_Shiney
Ex Member

Help! Black oil
07/29/06 at 16:58:36

Okay, I have an 05 S40 with 8400 miles.
Had Tune and oil change at 7500.

At 8000 miles, oil was extremely dark, but I did not change it for another 300 miles.

Changed oil and filter today at 8300 mi.
Oil in sight glass looked perfectly clean.
Rode 100 miles of mixed interstate and stop-and-go.
Checked oil after 100 mi.
Just as black as what I changed this morning.  Not thick goopy, just black.

I put the first 7500 miles last fall and winter, and I never had black oil between checks or changes.  It has been extremely hot (~100) degress the last few weeks when I ride.  Could this be the cause ? I can't change oil every time I ride, but I'm afraid to damage the engine when it looks like that.

I would appreciate any advice.
I've been using non-syn 10W-40 motorcycle oil according to user's guide.  I'm not trying to start a discussion on oil types, I just want to know if black oil in 100 miles is normal in 100+ temps, and how often should I change it when it turns.

IP Logged
911radioman
Ex Member

Re: Help! Black oil
Reply #1 - 07/29/06 at 17:59:47

If it were me, I'd change the oil again just to flush a bit more gunk out.

My personal regimen is I change my oil about every 2,000 miles.  Oil is cheap, engines are not so it is worth my while to inconvenience myself and change the oil more often.

IP Logged
enophile

1998 Savage, black,
mostly stock

Morgantown, WV
Reply #2 - 07/29/06 at 18:01:40

Oil will dirty more quickly in extreme high temperatures so the summer heat could be a factor.  Are you using the same brand of oil you've always used or something different?

The number of cylinders isn't important...it's how you use them.
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #3 - 07/29/06 at 19:42:16

The oil in my '02 gets pretty black after only 1,000 miles, still feels slippery but looks cruddy. I think southern riding heats up the engine and oil more than the cooler climates. I'm still changing the oil every 2,000 miles but am thinking about dropping it down to every 1,500 miles. I've always wondered how much of the old oil is left in the engine after a change to color the fresh stuff so it looks worse than it is.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
SavageDude
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

OC_California
Reply #4 - 07/29/06 at 20:07:31

There are chemical added inside new oil that turn black as soon as 50 miles of use. This is normal. If you are so afraid of ruining the engine, then change the oil every 3 months. OIL IS CHEAP and replacing your engine is expensive; so pick your choice. Wink

2005 S40, debadged, Tkat FB, saddle bags, sissy bar, HD Sporter muff, Fly screen, white spacer mod, 150 main jet.....and sssslowly upgrading
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #5 - 07/29/06 at 21:33:20

learned this on my last oil change..warm up bike...
drain all oil you can with bike on side stand then remove filter (try not to spill on exhaust) wipe out any oil left in housing stand bike up level drain remaining oil theres about a tenth of a quart (200ml)still in there ..oil with filter change should take 2.1 quarts(2000ml)...

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
necropsy
2005 No Login

Suzuki '05 S40

Barrie, Ontario, Canada
Reply #6 - 07/30/06 at 04:58:51

I usually lean my bike as far right as I can after draining the oil (til the peg touches) several times to get as much oil out as I can. Even then, with a filter change, 2L over fills it.

Music calms the SAVAGE beast
  IP Logged
PA KID
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 07/30/06 at 06:18:12

I use Amsoil 10/40 and it gets discolored after a couple thousand miles,since it's an air cooled engine i want a good synthetic oil that won't breakdown like convential oil.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #8 - 07/30/06 at 08:43:45

Air cooled engine. Summer temps. You'd be money ahead to run 15W40 or 20W50... My Savage thrives on a year round diet of Castrol GTX 20W50 dino juice, car type.

I'm switching my liquid cooled bike to a heavier oil this week. 10W40 just isn't cutting it now. I'm down to topping out at an indicated 75 mph in fifth gear, can hit 110 indicated in third in cooler temps. That lightweight stuff is ruining my engine.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 21:20:34

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Help! Black oil

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!