Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Question on 10 degree muffler adapter (Read 7 times)
911radioman
Ex Member

Question on 10 degree muffler adapter
07/25/06 at 12:36:36

My Dyna mufflers will arrive tomorrow afternoon, and I'm gonna take everything apart while I'm off work and get the 10 degree adapter made for the custom fit.

Question for you guys that have done the adapter thing -- did you also use the Suzuki gasket to seal the adapter off, or were you just able to clamp the adapter down to the header pipe and muffler without leaks?

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Re: Question on 10 degree muffler adapter
Reply #1 - 07/25/06 at 13:13:57

Have the muffler shop make it whichever way you want. If the old gasket stays on the head pipe, I'd go with that, if it ends up sticking in the muffler then have the adapter made to fit the pipe w/o the gasket dimension. I suggest taking the muffler and pipe with you to the shop so they can fit it exactly.  B-i-L's doesn't leak, made by Midas and cost $10.00, sure makes the muffler fit better and not blast he rear brake lever and cable. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
911radioman
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 07/25/06 at 13:23:17

Yeah, I'll take everything with me to the muffler shop.  I was wondering about Midas.  We've got one of those close to me, just didn't know if a chain outfit like them or Olymco (sp) would mess with it.  I think we've got some independent muff shops around too, so I'm not anticipating a problem.

Personally, I'd like not to have to mess with the gasket if I don't have to.

IP Logged
SeeAPierce
2005 No Login

California
Reply #3 - 07/25/06 at 17:30:16

I didn't end up using any gasket...I had the end of the adapter flared out just enough to fit tightly over the header.  Then I used some high heat RTV and stainless clamps.  Has held about 2000 miles so far.  I guesss I should check it...but I'm not having any problems, so I probably won't...  Cheesy

'06 S40 green: sporty muff & 10 degree adapter 155 main jet, 1/2 white spacer, open filter, bar end turn signals
  IP Logged
911radioman
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 07/25/06 at 18:15:37

My goal is to get a tight enough fit with the adapter that neither a gasket nor any RTV type sealer will be needed.  Don't know if I can pull it off or not, but I'm gonna try like heck.

IP Logged
pgolden
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 07/25/06 at 19:12:20

The adapter should be "female" on both ends. If the shop does a good job, muffler clamps will keep the conection from leaking.

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #6 - 07/25/06 at 19:15:39

No gasket here, had the adapter made to slip over the header pipe at one end and had the sporty muffler slip over the adapter at the other end. Clamped it all together with two Harley muffler clamps, no leaks. Wouldn't worry about the gasket, if the adapter is made right it will be plenty tight enough.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
smokey02

Time flies like an
arrow, fruit flies
like bananas

Alta Loma, California
Reply #7 - 07/25/06 at 23:18:27

Ed_L. said: "No gasket here, had the adapter made to slip over the header pipe at one end and had the sporty muffler slip over the adapter at the other end. Clamped it all together with two Harley muffler clamps."

I did the same thing, Including Harley clamps, but I used a hacksaw to cut 2  3/4" slits in the adaptor at the header end so It could clamp down better. and used stuff called 'Muffler Repair'* to seal the header end. *(comes in a squeeze tube).
The muffler/back end of adaptor just slips inside the muffler.

Maroon 96, HD turnout, Iridium, TKat brace, Big Crank, seat lift, Narva +50 w/ yellow filter in a XV920 9
WWW   IP Logged
necropsy
2005 No Login

Suzuki '05 S40

Barrie, Ontario, Canada
Reply #8 - 07/26/06 at 05:09:45

pgolden wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
The adapter should be "female" on both ends. If the shop does a good job, muffler clamps will keep the conection from leaking.

Really? I'd not heard of that. My adapter (and every other that I've seen) was female at the header end and male going into the exhaust. Why did you go female on the exhaust side?

Music calms the SAVAGE beast
  IP Logged
911radioman
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 07/26/06 at 06:58:49

I got a feeling that's what he meant, as I couldn't see a double female working very well on the muffler end.

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #10 - 07/26/06 at 09:16:03

pgolden wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:

dont think you want f.m. on muff end most muffs have slots for the pipe to fit inside..
rtv is a little messy in the head pipe end(f.m.)of adaptor it helps as you twist the adaptor to get every thing lined up..
if you dont want to bend your tab and drill your support arm a piece of flat steel (chromed or not) with the right offset bent in it works well..

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
SavageDude
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

OC_California
Reply #11 - 07/26/06 at 10:36:07

I used some cut out aluminium soda can's pieces in between the connections. It sealed out the leak so far. No problem with leakage  Wink

2005 S40, debadged, Tkat FB, saddle bags, sissy bar, HD Sporter muff, Fly screen, white spacer mod, 150 main jet.....and sssslowly upgrading
  IP Logged
PA KID
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 07/26/06 at 13:12:23

Take the head pipe off so you can take it with you so the shop can expand it to fit tight in your new muffler.No need for ugly extension pieces to find covers for!!Or messy rtv or tape!!It's not rocket science it's fitting exhaust pipe together.Just my 2 cents

IP Logged
911radioman
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 07/26/06 at 13:16:38

That's not a viable option for me.  I want to use the original muffler mount.  I also do not want the stock pipe flared.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 00:13:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Question on 10 degree muffler adapter

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.