Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Am I Lean or Rich? Newb (Read 8 times)
platinum_ghost
Ex Member

Am I Lean or Rich? Newb
07/23/06 at 17:27:48

I've looked all over this forum, studying the back fire issues others have had. My 2002 Savage had been taken to a dealer by the previous owner to get the issue resolved, and I had no backfiring when I bought the bike.

In my thirst for power I halved the white spacer, causing much backfiring. I swapped the main up to a 150, also still backfiring. My question is this:

When I turn the Idle Air Screw out I get very few large "CRACKS!"

When I turn the screw in, Iget lots of little "pop,pop,pop, pop,pops"

I am thinking my Pilot is too small to meet fuel demands when the throttle plate closes. Could I be right?

Background:

Filthy air filter
1/2 white spacer
#150 Main
47.5 Pilot
Idle set at "who knows"
Small tear in outer edge of rubber on the "Diaphram Assy" #32 @ http://www.ronayers.com/fiche/300_0271/carburetor/carburetor.cfm?man=su&group...

Advice is appreciated.THX!

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Re: Am I Lean or Rich? Newb
Reply #1 - 07/23/06 at 20:12:46

platinum_ghost wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
Small tear in outer edge of rubber on the "Diaphram Assy" #32

if the tear is in a place that effects proper lift and fall of the needle, seems to me you could never make it run correct except for wot and idle

IP Logged
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Reply #2 - 07/23/06 at 23:33:43

Check for both intake and exhaust leaks. Fix that diaphram. If you have stock exhaust, your jetting should be fine. Only if you need to go beyond 3 turns or so do you need a larger pilot jet.

IP Logged
platinum_ghost
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 07/24/06 at 02:36:04

Thanks. Even at 3 turns out, the backfiring is still going on. I'll replace that diaphram and try again I guess. I don't have exhaust leaks anywhere. Man, that diaphram is like $32! Shocked

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #4 - 07/24/06 at 05:58:09

Add up the cost of the various things you will need to do the job, then decide if it is worth fixing or possible be better off going with a new carb.
It can be a hard decision to make, especially if the cost is not real high but the hassle of trying to make it work pushes the whole thing to the edge of frustration.

Do you have the Clymer and/or the shop manual?  If you are going to try to FIX the carb then you NEED the books.  At the very least spend some time on the Mikuni.com website reviewing the steps involved in tuning "by the numbers".

When thinking about a new carb the cost for the basics ... carb, mounting flange, throttle cable ... will run close to $200, while the full monty is above $300.

It all depends on your knowledge and skills with carbs.

I don't know if this has helped much but there are some things to consider.

One thing for sure, if you are keeping the stock carb to fix it, then the diaphram needs replacing if it is damaged.

IP Logged
platinum_ghost
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 07/24/06 at 15:50:00

Allow me to clarify about the diaphram,  the diaphram that is damaged is not the diaphram for the carb needle. It is the (I believe it is called) atmospheric pressure diaphram? If confused, see the link I posted earlier.
I'll still replace the diaphram, but I think I'll one-up the pilot jet as well. Other people on the board that have similar issues seem to increase the pilot jet size to clear the backfiring issue after the spacer mod.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #6 - 07/24/06 at 17:41:36

sorry didn't follow the post to see which diaphram you meant - I believe anti-backfire is it's function  - if I remember correct savage_rob should have a used but working order spare - might make you a deal Wink

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #7 - 07/24/06 at 19:56:13

platinum_ghost wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
Allow me to clarify about the diaphram,  the diaphram that is damaged is not the diaphram for the carb needle. It is the (I believe it is called) atmospheric pressure diaphram? If confused, see the link I posted earlier.
I'll still replace the diaphram, but I think I'll one-up the pilot jet as well. Other people on the board that have similar issues seem to increase the pilot jet size to clear the backfiring issue after the spacer mod.

Assuming there are no exhaust leaks, the pilot jet is the controlling factor for 95% of all backfiring.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #8 - 07/24/06 at 21:20:47

If you have a tear in the air cut-off diaphram you are going to get backfires - suggest you fix this before you change anything else - these folks have it for ~$18
and a description of it's function.

partnumber# 13480-05A10

http://www.cyclewareables.com/pages/air_cutoffValve_replacements/aircutoff.htm

IP Logged
platinum_ghost
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 07/25/06 at 02:47:07

THANKS! Smiley

BTW, there arent any exhaust leaks that I could find. I'll replace the diaphram and go from there.

IP Logged
jaeger
YaBB Newbies

NoVA (Near Washintgon, DC)
Reply #10 - 07/25/06 at 08:44:00

Since we're talking about possibly replacing the carb...  so while I was adjusting stuff I managed to strip the F/A screw.  Nicked it with the drill just a hair when removing the plug and...  well, you know.

Oops.  

From those of you who've done it before (I know you're out there) -- should I try to extract the screw or should I just get a whole new carb?  

If the former, how would you recommend?

If the latter, can I use any carb from any Savage/S40 on my '96?

Thanks!

--Jaeger

jaegerinhell   IP Logged
geo

I'm a Savage

Orlando
Reply #11 - 07/25/06 at 12:18:26

What are you using for a muffler? Are you still using the stock muffler? You need to get a SuperTrapp and use 10 discs to take advantage of that 150 main jet.

Black 2002 Savage with SuperTrapp 13 discs, Dynajet Kit-DJ144, K&N drop-in, NGK-Iridium, Windscreen, Amsoil 10w-40, Metzeler ME880's
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #12 - 07/25/06 at 14:00:46

jaeger wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
Since we're talking about possibly replacing the carb...  so while I was adjusting stuff I managed to strip the F/A screw.  Nicked it with the drill just a hair when removing the plug and...  well, you know.

Oops.  

From those of you who've done it before (I know you're out there) -- should I try to extract the screw or should I just get a whole new carb?  

If the former, how would you recommend?

If the latter, can I use any carb from any Savage/S40 on my '96?

Thanks!

--Jaeger

strip the head or the threads? - heard of folks cutting a new slot on the head - check  the other post a used one was bought for the bowl - maybe there's deal there

IP Logged
platinum_ghost
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 07/25/06 at 15:30:42

I'm stock with 2 1-inch holes through the baffle. I'll worry about Supertrapp Mufflers, when I have money for the air cut off valve Tongue!

IP Logged
platinum_ghost
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 07/26/06 at 17:20:21

55 pilot jet went in today, due to the fact I couldn't get rid of the backfire through the idle air mixture screw alone. I can adjust the screw so all I get are pops, but I can't get rid of them completely. I'll try again when I get the air cut off valve replaced.
One question though, how do you know if the idle is in the correct range?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 14:30:37

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Am I Lean or Rich? Newb

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.