Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
charging problem (Read 14 times)
Derek
Ex Member

charging problem
07/21/06 at 19:52:52

Now that I repaired my CDI (Mitsubishi IC defect in the igniter box), my '86 Savage was running fine. Now the battery is not charging from the alternator. The battery is good, fuses good, connections under seat good, but voltage across the battery terminals does not increase when I rev up the engine. The bike runs until the battery discharges. I suspect testing the regulator is the next step. I hope I don't have to open/change the alternator. Does any know what the voltage is on the yellow wires from alternator to regulator? Any suggestions on a better way to methodically test so as to eliminate possible easy causes? Any one have similar experience? Please offer your advice.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Re: charging problem
Reply #1 - 07/22/06 at 20:12:19

You've probably already done it but I didn't see it listed, so I'll say you should definitely ensure your battery cable connections are clean and tight.  I recently had a charging problem and found it to be the result of a loose cable.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #2 - 07/22/06 at 22:37:56

It is easy to check the alternator. You can not check the rectifier regulator , so if the alternator is good, replace the regulator.
The way to check the alternator is:
Disconnect the wires that come from the alternator to the rectifier regulator - connector with 3 Yellow wires. Switch the pocket tester to AC Volts and check the voltage between all 3 yellow wires. The voltage should be about 13-16 V AC at idle and should go up proportionaly the RPMs. Check between wires #1-#2, #1-#3, #2-#3. The voltage should read about the same. If this reads good - check all the conections once more and after that make the decidion.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
Derek
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 07/23/06 at 07:33:30

Thanks for the input guys. Looks like full power coming out of the alternator as I tested each combination of the 3 yellow wires just at the connection. When reconnected, still only 12+ volts out of the regulator, and no increase when revving up the engine. I will re-check with a digital voltmeter in the days to come as my analogue meter only has 10v or 50v settings. So, probably it is time to break open the piggy bank and seek out a new/used regulator/rectifier. Any idea of the going cost? Again, thanks.

IP Logged
Derek
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 07/24/06 at 10:00:12

Upon further investigation, there is 25-30v ac coming out of each of the 3 yellow wires from the alternator at idle and upwards of 60+ v when engine is revved up. Still not more than about 13-14v dc out of the regulator, and no change even when revved up. Battery has been fully charged during testing After rechecking all connections I suspect it is time to buy a regulator/rectifier. My only concern is that with the engine not running, there is continuity to ground with 2 of the 3 yellow wires from the alternator. I suspect that this is not normal and that the stator needs to be re-wound as there appears to be a short circuit within. But why then is there still good output from the alternator? Any comments on this topic, please?

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 20:25:14

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › charging problem

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.