Send Topic Print
Advice for a newbie (Read 6 times)
deepakd
Ex Member

Advice for a newbie
07/20/06 at 09:14:00

Guys

I just completed my MSF course though I am not really a newbie rider

Now I am looking for a small bike ( all used ) and here are few options I am considering:

Rebel 250

Savage 650  

Virago 250

I found a used savage 650 2002 model with 3k miles for $2200 in san diego

The gas mileage owner says is ~45mpg which is not impressive I think so

Also, the bike is loud otherwise in good condition with small rust on chrome.

Is there any way to increase the gas mileage of LS650 ?

Rebel 250 gets almost 70mpg though it is little bit slow.

Thanks

DD

IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Re: Advice for a newbie
Reply #1 - 07/20/06 at 09:28:48

I ran my Savage pretty close to stock for over 5K miles (don't remember exactly how many). All conditions, kept track of the fuel added. Average MPG was 52 for those miles.

An interesting thing I've noticed with my new MC is that I went to a higher grade gasoline and my mileage stepped up over 10% (from around 40 mpg to around 45 mpg) same type of riding same rider.

Biggest differences in mpg is probably tuning and the right hand twisty thang.

IP Logged
necropsy
2005 No Login

Suzuki '05 S40

Barrie, Ontario, Canada
Reply #2 - 07/20/06 at 09:36:28

My first bike was a Honda Rebel 250. Still have it and plan on passing it on to my son when he turns 16 in a year and a half. Great commuter bike and got 72 mpg. But don't expect this bike to keep up with highway speeds for very long. As I was told, you'll outgrow it too quickly. I'm glad that I had the Rebel to learn how to ride and learn the rules of the road on, and if I had it to do all over again, I would do the same. Keep in mind that I'm very petite. 5 foot 4 inches and 115 lbs. So really, depending on your size, experience, and cash, the Savage would probably be your best bet. The Savage will get anywhere between 45 and 55 mpg depending on exhaust, air filter and jetting.

Music calms the SAVAGE beast
  IP Logged
deepakd
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 07/20/06 at 09:38:56

I am 5'10'' and 150 lbs

I don't really intend to drive on highways
just on local road

Also, used Rebels are easily available with good prices
~2k ( almost brand new ) than used Savage 650.

With the increasing gas price, I am leaning more towards rebel though

thanks

DD

IP Logged
franch

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #4 - 07/20/06 at 09:53:53

Thats a great price for an 02 with short miles.
get the savage, you won't regret it.

IP Logged
deepakd
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 07/20/06 at 09:59:32

The price is good provided the bike is well maintained but this is not the case with this bike

I may prefer to buy an older bike with bettter maintenance

thanks

IP Logged
georgekathe
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 07/20/06 at 16:34:52

Bought my Suzuki earlier in summer. Been riding for almost 40 years. Until 20 years ago never drove a car (long story) so though I don't know a millionth about Suzukis as others on this site, I have a lot of riding experience (including a few years on a SR250 - like a single cylinder Rebel from Yamaha - & the same time on its big sister, the SR500 single).

Agree it is about what you want bike for. Rebel would not be good for long distance, but wonder if LS650 is (OK, I know some of you do long trips, but I'm old & soft now to do same on a single). I know my wife would not want to go on back seat other than around town!!

My wife did the course recently on a 250 Enduro (I recommended one rather than the quasi-cruisers they also had available due to ease of turning circle on the former). However, though she, like me, is around 5' 9" & 150 lbs, she prefers the lower seat of the Suzuki.

I really would get the Suzuki (I'm not biased!) - a used one of that vintage for that price seems reasonable. You get more power; the tractability of the single is great; it zooms through the corners; you have the advantage of this great site for resources (I'd also buy a Clymers manual, even if you hardly do any work on your bike).

Brakes/stock tires/headlight aren't great (I'm about to replace all) but expect they are no better on the Rebel. I know the LS650 has some foibles (leaking seal, anybody? I have one if nobody has one!) but suspect the Rebel has too (like a tiny gas tank!) & other mecvhanical clitches.

So, from one (Suzuki) neophyte to another (possible) one - make yours a single!

Stay safe riding...

IP Logged
Mike M
YaBB Newbies

Reply #7 - 07/20/06 at 19:25:40

A couple of years ago, I let the air get pretty low in the tires.  Filled it to spec and mileage went up about 4 or 5 mpg.  Pretty stupid story, but low gas mileage can be something that simple.  I get aroud 47 - 48 in town, 55 - 58 on the highway.  On a bike this light, the riders size is a significant portion of the weight, and will effect milage, too.  I s the surrent owner on the large side?

IP Logged
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Reply #8 - 07/20/06 at 20:25:35

The Honda cruisers are great bikes but the Rebel is really too small for any kind of highway travel. I would go for at least a VLX 600.

The Savage 650 is a terrific starter bike. It's low to the ground and very menuverable. Gas mileage should be at least 50 mpg. On the bike you're considering it sounds like someone goofed up on rejetting it. It's very inexpensive and pretty easy to fix. I imagine it's related to the white spacer and the previous owner probably removed it entirely instead of putting a 1/2 or 2/3s spacer in. If the bike's too loud you can get a second hand Harley muffler cheap which will quiet it down.

If you're not prepared to turn wrenches, this may not be a good candidate for you. You can find a reasonably priced stock LS650 if you keep looking around.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #9 - 07/22/06 at 00:05:46

I seem to be a bit unusual here but...  I've been averaging 65 to 70 mpg.    I got as low as 53 mpg on a 70 mile ride going 65 to 90mph to catch buddies on a ride I started late.  Got 72 mpg (best) on a leisurely mountain ride with the same buds when I didn't have to play extreme catch-up!.  My jetting is a bit unconventional too.  I base it on test runs up a mountain with a 7000ft elevation change.  If backfires increase as I elevate,  I'm rich at the top.  If I soot up the rear brake lever at my low base elevation (2400ft), I'm a little rich.  Averaging the two has given me best performance and mileage.  
I have ridden bikes from 125cc to 900cc. and this bike is my favorite.  Fast enough to get you out of trouble, not so fast as to get you into it.  15 mpg better than a yamaha 650 v-star  with equal or better performance.  5 or 10mpg less than a 250cc but twice the power.
Perfect for me.
If you ride her like a 250cc she will come close to 250cc mpg.   Push her and she drinks a little more.

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Rawhide
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 07/22/06 at 05:20:27

Some stop & go driving with highway at 55 to 65 mph, nearly allways 58 and some 60 mpg.Different routes. Love it!!  Rawhide,  01  with 10000 miles

IP Logged
SavageDude
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

OC_California
Reply #11 - 07/22/06 at 17:51:08

The MPG on the Savage is varied depending on how the rider accelerate and shift gear. You want torque and take off speed, you have to pay with your MPG. And if you baby it then 55+ MPG is achievable.

2005 S40, debadged, Tkat FB, saddle bags, sissy bar, HD Sporter muff, Fly screen, white spacer mod, 150 main jet.....and sssslowly upgrading
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #12 - 07/22/06 at 21:13:46

deepakd wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
...though I am not really a newbie rider....
few options I am considering:

Rebel 250
Savage 650  
Virago 250

I'm also not a new rider, having started on a Honda 50 in 1964.  Had a DT175 from 1974 thru 1987 when I stopped riding.  When I restarted two years ago I was, like you, looking at the 250's.  I like the light weight, and for city use with an occasional jump on the freeway a 250 is sufficient.  A 400 would be better, but try to find a Suzuki 400 Tempter outside of Japan.

Anyhow, looked at and sat on the:
Honda 250 Rebel -- the side covers poke my thighs when stopped.
Yamaha 250 Virago -- pretty.  Very tempting.
Suzuki GZ250 Marauder -- the little thumper, cheaper than the V-twin Yamaha, has the fat front tire.  Was all set to buy one when....

I noticed the specs on the Savage.  Physically the same dimensions as the 250's, the torque of the 650, only 50 pounds heavier.  Found one and sat on it and it was SO much more fitted to me than any of the 250s.  At that point it was simply a matter of finding one for sale at a place and price I was willing to meet.

Before I sat on one I the Rebel was top of my list.  After I sat on one it was scratched.  Comfort is paramount.  If you are not comfortable on the bike you cannot meld with it and become one.

If you can take the folded leg position, the Ninja 250 is supposed to be a great little bike -- with enough HP to easily handle highway speed.  (a few Ninja 250's have been certified SS1000.)

WWW   IP Logged
Jim_R
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 07/22/06 at 22:48:34

if u want alot of gas mileage get a moped. hehe Tongue

IP Logged
Brewbrother
Serious Thumper

Just lending a
helping hand.

Reply #14 - 07/23/06 at 11:36:09

deepakd wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
Guys

I just completed my MSF course though I am not really a newbie rider

Now I am looking for a small bike ( all used ) and here are few options I am considering:

Rebel 250

Savage 650  

Virago 250

I found a used savage 650 2002 model with 3k miles for $2200 in san diego

The gas mileage owner says is ~45mpg which is not impressive I think so

Also, the bike is loud otherwise in good condition with small rust on chrome.

Is there any way to increase the gas mileage of LS650 ?

Rebel 250 gets almost 70mpg though it is little bit slow.

Thanks

DD

IMHO, your better off getting the savage. The reason that the 250's are cheap is because there is little demand for them. If your reason for riding is commuting the savage is a better choice since maintaining it will be a factor in operation. The mileage of the PO is rather irrelevant. I commute with my bike and get 60mpg almost all the time. 45 MPG on a commuter savage sounds like someone is racing to work and racing to get home. The rebel may get better mileage but all the running systems are lighter and need to be replaced sooner. That means brakes and tranny and clutch. The big picture of years of commuting says the savage is a better choice as it will require fewer parts and the sub systems in the bike are beefier and will last longer. Just my $.02.

Opportunities multiply as they are seized.
No spacer,60 pilot jet, 155 main jet, plug door, sportster muffler, k&n drop in, iridium plug, brake pedal mod,de-badged, Dunlops, bullet turn signals.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 08:46:40

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Advice for a newbie

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.