Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Carb problems (Read 3 times)
hellstorm
Ex Member

Carb problems
07/12/06 at 20:03:30

Well its been awhile since I've been here. I sorta put the savage on the back burner last fall when I got the new carb and it was too cold to ride. I haven't had time until recently to mess with it. Picked up an XS 650 just to have transportation and now everyone is annoyin me about getting the savage running cuz they think it looks cooler. Anyway, the original carb needed a new float valve and needle. The parts were like 50.00 to fix it so I opted to get a new mikuni VM36 for 90.00 instead. Bought a new intake and throttle cable from Lancer (thanks by the way). On 4th of July weekend I decided to install the new carb (brand new out of the box). Turned on the fuel, cranked it a bit to get it running to set the idle and fuel was spilling out the overflow tubes.  Took the float bowl off (floats are attached to the bowl) took out needle and seat, cleaned everything, poured gas in the bowl and floats seem to rise just fine. Put it all back together, turned fuel on, waited couple of minutes and tried to start it ran for a few seconds and as starts pouring out vent tubes again. I'm kind of annoyed since its a new carb. I would like to break in the new cam after rebuilding the topend  and can't do it without getting it running. Any ideas what the heck to do with it? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Brian

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Re: Carb problems
Reply #1 - 07/12/06 at 20:31:23

Your needle valve is sticking open, allowing the fuel to flow none stop even after the floats reach the desired level.

IP Logged
hellstorm
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 07/12/06 at 21:20:18

Hey hows it goin? Yeah, I know, but I guess what I'm saying is that it shouldn't since it's a brand new carb. I think I'll try contacting Mikuni and see if theyll send me a differant one or send me a new needle and seat.

Thanks!!

IP Logged
weberick
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 07/15/06 at 13:21:11

Hi I just posted the same problem.

My problem as yours doesn't start until I start the bike.

I thought that with the gas tank with fue attached that one would see fuel coming out of the overflow on the carb itself if the float or little value were not working.  With just gas attached everything is tight, no leaks.  But start up the bike and fuel is everywere.

IP Logged
weberick
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 07/15/06 at 13:23:01

Question.

Were did you get the new Mikuni?

IP Logged
weberick
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 07/15/06 at 13:25:21

Another point,

My fuel is coming through the air cleaner from the  breather tube atop the head.

IP Logged
hellstorm
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 07/15/06 at 15:46:13

Got it at www.motocarrera.com. They have gone up to $115.00 though.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 00:26:43

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Carb problems

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.