Send Topic Print
My First Drop(s) (Read 12 times)
Aviler

American Rebel
Dragon Pirate

McPherson, KS
My First Drop(s)
07/07/06 at 17:28:22

Well, I just had what I would consider my first 2 drops. Yes, 2 drops, all within the space of a minute. I think I realize what I did wrong, but if I'm missing something, I would like some input.

Drop #1: I have a neighbor who insists on letting their dog run loose. Wouldn't be too bad if they had a fence around their yard, or if the dog would stay in his own yard. Unfortunately, he roams the neighborhood at will, and they don't seem to care. It's always "We're trying to get rid of him," or "The kids must've let him out without us knowing." Bullshit. They were standing outside with him loose as I pulled in from work this evening. Well, he starts chasing me up my gravel driveway, barking. Now, this didn't scare me, but it pissed me off. So, what do I do? Apply full brakes intending to stop, park, get off the bike and chew out the dog and his owner. What happened? The bike slid on the gravel and I dropped it. Very low speed drop, no apparent major damage.
Lesson(s) #1: Don't apply full brakes on gravel. Don't react in anger when riding, especially when you have very little actual riding experience.

Drop #2: Well, still pissed off about the dog, and now a bit pissed off at myself for being stupid, I promptly go to pick up the bike. By the throttle side handlebar. So, still being in gear and running (laying on it's side, no weight on the wheel to stall the motor), as I lift the bike, I also manage to twist the throttle. Off it goes, with me hanging on, panicking a little this time. I did decide to let go of the handlebar before it hit the side of my pickup, but it still had enough momentum to bounce off the side of my pickup. It bounced off the side of my truck and fell to the ground, again, still running. Little bit faster drop, still no apparent major damage, did knock my driver's side mirror loose.
Lesson #2: If the bike is on the ground running, hit the kill switch before even touching anything else.

I did Lesson #2 before I tried to pick it up a second time. Minor damage to me picked up somewhere involved with these two drops. No bleeding bruise/scrape on right forearm, not flowing bleeding but going to scab bleeding scrape/bruise on outside of left thigh.

Now that I've vented and cooled down a bit, I'm going to go talk to the neighbors.

'96 maroon, 1.625
WWW   IP Logged
Brewbrother
Serious Thumper

Just lending a
helping hand.

Re: My First Drop(s)
Reply #1 - 07/07/06 at 19:06:28

Not trying to be rude but, aim your bike at the dog and ride through.

Opportunities multiply as they are seized.
No spacer,60 pilot jet, 155 main jet, plug door, sportster muffler, k&n drop in, iridium plug, brake pedal mod,de-badged, Dunlops, bullet turn signals.
  IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #2 - 07/07/06 at 19:13:12

Brewbrother wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
Not trying to be rude but, aim your bike at the dog and ride through.  

i hit a 130lb black lab two christmas' ago. luckily i sped up and it slammed into the foot peg.  or more precisley the hardened carraige bolt i was using as a peg at the time.  it was ugly, dog dead, me sliding into ditch, bike a little scratched up.  so try to get it with a truck or something.  or race by with someone following in a cage, let the cage do the dirty work.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #3 - 07/07/06 at 20:29:12

Drop #1 I did in '67; pulling off onto the shoulder when my Twinjet lost a cylinder.  Besides to not hit the brakes on gravel I learned that a 100cc city bike is not really set up for steady 60 mph highway running.

Drop #2 I did sometime in the mid '60's but with either the 50 or the 100 and instead of taking me for a run it simply reared up and flipped over backwards.

My last drop was a few months ago riding home in the rain -- going <5mph  across sharply angled railroad tracks, front wheel slid one way the bike fell the other.  Bent left peg, saddlebags not even scratched.  I now do a wiggle to cross the tracks more square on.

p.s.  Around here we have leash laws -- any dog wandering without a human in tow is fair game to be picked up by animal control.  As you have tried nicely, if you have a similar law it is actually good karma to call for a pickup the next time the dog is wandering.  You are doing the dog a favor as you will likely save it from being hit by a vehicle.

p.p.s.  I'm expecting a leg to buckle sometime in the future as I pull up to a stop.

WWW   IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #4 - 07/07/06 at 20:51:35

Here in New Mexico on the Bike written test for a bike liscense there is a question regarding loose dogs that try to give chase.

The correct answer according to the test is.

Slow down untill you get even with dog, then gun engine.

Supposedly the sudden noise from the engine is supposed to scare off the dog.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
SavageDude
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

OC_California
Reply #5 - 07/07/06 at 22:41:56

Yonuh Adisi FSO wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
Supposedly the sudden noise from the engine is supposed to scare off the dog.

Actually it throws off the dog's interception point--where it's going to aim for.

2005 S40, debadged, Tkat FB, saddle bags, sissy bar, HD Sporter muff, Fly screen, white spacer mod, 150 main jet.....and sssslowly upgrading
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #6 - 07/08/06 at 01:00:43

Yonuh Adisi FSO wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
the sudden noise from

a 9mm to the f'k'n head ought to scare it off pretty well

IP Logged
Aviler

American Rebel
Dragon Pirate

McPherson, KS
Reply #7 - 07/08/06 at 04:47:32

Kinda hard to aim at the dog when he's already behind you Smiley

I'm pretty sure we do have leash laws, and I am to the point that I've tried being nice, so I am going to start calling animal control.

Normally, I don't advocate being abusive to animals of any sort, but this one has gotten so on my nerves that I would gladly beat him senseless with a baseball bat just to get him out of my hair. (Un?)Fortunately, I do not have any firearms that I would be tempted to use on him.

'96 maroon, 1.625
WWW   IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #8 - 07/08/06 at 06:09:43

Get one of those plastic lemons full of lemon juice and give the dog a squirt in it's eyes next time it comes after you. If the owner complains tell him it was either that or reporting him to the dog warden. Glad to hear you and the bike got off without too much damage.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Dragon King

IL
Reply #9 - 07/08/06 at 06:14:08

instead of calling animal control call the local police you will get farther faster. do not do anything pissed off while on the bike good luck with your niebors

I refuse to tiptoe through life...
Only to arrive safely at Death.
  IP Logged
clueless-FSO

Birmingham, Al
Reply #10 - 07/08/06 at 06:15:29

Ed,
You are way to kind. Use mace on the dog. If the owners b!tch, use it on them. Grin

'96 Black "bed liner" paint.. Ed_L forward controls, HD bars with 1"socket risers, 155 main, pod filter, HD exhaust, punched baffle, modded seat, chain drive conversion, slavy mod
one of a kind
WWW   IP Logged
Island_Biker
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 07/08/06 at 07:07:02

The dog is just doing what dogs do naturally.

Run over the owners.

Unfortunately, there is no easy solution. Either you are going to continue to be p*ssed at your neighbours, or if you call animal control, or the police, they will be p*ssed at you.

IP Logged
ratdog472

The Savages are
restless...

Springfield, MO
Reply #12 - 07/08/06 at 08:26:53

Bah just rev and then let it come back down and hope for a whopper of a backfire.  Shoud sound something like a shotgun going off and should also scare the dog off.  Did I mention straight pipes?

ozark_bassist_1973   IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #13 - 07/08/06 at 09:29:56

About what happened- You learned Your leson, so just concider it- You paid for the knoledge.
About the dog- It is not dog's fault. the dog behaves the way it has been taught. It is the owner's fault. If it was me- I was going to report to the city and to the police. You have to make these people pay for all Your damages or bring them to court. Somebody will start talking about being a good person and a good neighbour, but it goes both ways and some critters don't understend anything else than fear.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
MacAttack
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 07/11/06 at 11:07:16

If the dog is not aggressive, do this: Next time he chases you, stop as quickly as possible. When the dog approaches, tell him, loudly, NO! BAD! It may take a few tries, but you may save the dog's life.
I live on gravel in the country and have a neighbor dog just like that. He's such a neat guy, though, that I've made him my project.

Sorry about you and your bike! Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 20:24:12

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › My First Drop(s)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.