Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Heel/toe shifter? (Read 80 times)
grabber_blue
YaBB Newbies

Surrey, BC
Heel/toe shifter?
07/10/06 at 16:52:49

Has anyone any ideas for a heel/toe shifter for an S40?

IP Logged
enophile

1998 Savage, black,
mostly stock

Morgantown, WV
Re: Heel/toe shifter?
Reply #1 - 07/10/06 at 18:41:40

I wonder if you could take two stock shifters and weld them together (would have to either paint it or have it rechromed) in such a way to make a heel-toe shifter.

Would you have to lengthen them?  I've never driven a bike with that type of shifter so I'm not sure of the geometry.

The number of cylinders isn't important...it's how you use them.
  IP Logged
lpgoldtop
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 10/27/06 at 18:09:43

It seems hard to find a way to use stock parts to make a heel/toe shifter for the savage, but I'm working on designing a shifter and foot-rest for the savage to replace the stock parts and fit on without modification. Any ideas wold help...

IP Logged
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Reply #3 - 10/28/06 at 06:59:53

i've seen two different toe/heel shifters this week, debbys '97 harley has two seperate shift arms mounted on one long forward control type remote shift shaft, that may be adaptable to the suzuki. a freind of mine has a '77 HD with a single toe/heel shift lever.

dyna muff,1/2 spacer,152.5,55,drilled air box,idle mix,spark plug door,harley bars & seat,spitfire windshield,turn signal,dunlops,man.pethingy,ISO pegs,engine cage,hiway pegs,support 81
  IP Logged
grabber_blue
YaBB Newbies

Surrey, BC
Reply #4 - 10/28/06 at 11:33:28

After my initial post, we learned that an acquaintance of ours who rides a Harley, is a machinist by trade.  Here is what he devised for my girlfriend's S40:

The rod for the heel shifter is stainless steel and the "heel" shifter peg came from a Sportster.  The rubber was kind of worn out and went missing before I got pictures of it.

Here are some more pics since I replaced the rear peg with a HD accessory toe shifter replacement.  I'm going to cut off the front shifter peg and machine it to accept the same HD part on the front.  There's also a matching brake pedal cover I'm going to try adding to the other side.

My girlfriend is very VERY happy with the heel shifter...no more problems with strained tendons on her left foot anymore.  She also really likes the floorboards too.  She says they support her feet & legs better...more comfortable.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #5 - 10/28/06 at 14:09:55

Those are very nice.  Your friend might find a market for those here if he were so inclined.  You might ask him if he's interested.  If so, he could get online and post your pics in the Marketplace forum and see how much interest there might be.  Just a thought.  Anyway, congratulations, those are very sweet.  I'm more of a peg than board fan but the heel/toe shifter might be something I could go for... then maybe I could quit denting the toes of my left boots.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #6 - 10/28/06 at 20:33:01

Yep, nice work.   Wink

IP Logged
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Reply #7 - 10/29/06 at 05:59:18

most impressive! our congratulations to your friend for a job well done. i really need to learn how to weld aluminum 8)

dyna muff,1/2 spacer,152.5,55,drilled air box,idle mix,spark plug door,harley bars & seat,spitfire windshield,turn signal,dunlops,man.pethingy,ISO pegs,engine cage,hiway pegs,support 81
  IP Logged
glwharton
YaBB Newbies

I love My Suzie

Athens, Ohio
Reply #8 - 07/28/07 at 23:21:24

I want one. How can I get one ?

Gary

wndshld,Grips and Rests,Gel Seat,Sissy Bar,Baron Tach,Hghwy Bar,HD Headlight,Saddlebags,HL and BL modulators,Clock,Super Brace,Buckhorn Handlebars,Carb upgrade,Screamin' Eagle muff,signal minder
  IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Reply #9 - 07/29/07 at 15:33:45

Count me in too...  I want the flood boards as well as the heel-toe shifter.....

Keep this up and you're going to have to open an internet store! Grin

Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #10 - 07/29/07 at 16:36:43

I like that Heel/toe shifter your buddy came up with, I wonder how well it would work with the forward controls I am constructing.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
glwharton
YaBB Newbies

I love My Suzie

Athens, Ohio
Reply #11 - 08/01/07 at 21:01:17

Could I order one from you and you could get him to make one for me ?

Gary

wndshld,Grips and Rests,Gel Seat,Sissy Bar,Baron Tach,Hghwy Bar,HD Headlight,Saddlebags,HL and BL modulators,Clock,Super Brace,Buckhorn Handlebars,Carb upgrade,Screamin' Eagle muff,signal minder
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 02:15:52

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Heel/toe shifter?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.