Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Conflicting Cam Storie - Battle of the dealors (Read 14 times)
FrankieB
YaBB Newbies

Finally figured out
how to change this
stupid text

Conflicting Cam Storie - Battle of the dealors
07/31/07 at 11:09:44

I would first like to say, "Thank you" to everyone for putting up with my numerous newb questions over the past week I really appreciate it. Anyways, I called a bunch of places today to see what it would cost to look over my bike in general, and more importantly to install new fork seals and check my Cam Chain.

Fork Seals they say will run anywhere from $150-$250 w/ parts and labor.  

Here's the kicker, one shop says that he can hear if the cam chain needs to be replaced, the other shop said the casing would have to be removed to check the chain. Any ideas? Also, I would like to mention that today was the first time EVER that I actually spoke to a bike mechanic who didn't talk to me like I was an idiot wasting his time - a nice change, but seemingly rare. Thanks again for all the help. - Nat

IP Logged
Dr_Jim
Ex Member

Re: Conflicting Cam Storie - Battle of the dealors
Reply #1 - 07/31/07 at 11:39:38

-

« Last Edit: 12/23/07 at 14:34:08 by Dr_Jim »  
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 07/31/07 at 12:07:54

Shameless plug accepted, that's one more mark on your tallie.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Reply #3 - 07/31/07 at 13:44:38

verslagen1 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
Shameless plug accepted, that's one more mark on your tallie.   Grin

How come NONE of you guys live near enough for me to ride over for shop talk and help with repairs?!!!?  Tongue

2006 LS650, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, badge-free zone, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, the one in FRONT of you, flying the Kings Colours
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 07/31/07 at 13:54:42

Near enough is relative isn't it.  

Typing maybe instead of talking but communicate don't we?  And on a fairly regular basis.   Grin

I don't know the actual numbers of active members or the ratio of male to females, but where else do you have the eyes and ears of 6200 some odd members.   Grin

Vicariously, I am there.  If you don't mind my grease laden hand, I'll pass the wrench to you. Kiss

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 08/01/07 at 12:03:06

Someone asked me about maitenace and when I would check the cam chain...

First zuki want you to take it to the dealer every 4 or 5k (miles).  At least to torque the head bolts.  This by itself is not an easy task.  The head cover can be a be otch bcause there's not too much clearance between the frame and cover.  So, do it when it needs it, like when the plug is leaking.  But, do take off the clutch cover every 5k, take a measurement from the housing to the shoulder of the plunger and write it down so you can estimate when the next check is.  Do it more often when you are nearing the limit of safe projection of the plunger which is 18mm.

After as little as 10k, there have been reports of the plunger falling out.  This usually doesn't happen untill after 20k, but keep your ears open.  And stop immediately if you hear grinding down there.  Get a tow home if your not sure.  Better a tow than buying a new engine.

keep your ears open!   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 02:19:43

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Conflicting Cam Storie - Battle of the dealors

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.