Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Dont know where to go from here (Read 17 times)
klinc
Ex Member

Dont know where to go from here
07/09/06 at 12:24:45

A couple months ago I purchased an 87 Savage. It was running rough and i got the carburator cleaned out real well and replaced both rubber diaphrams in it.

I have done other work to it reguarding starter gear breaking out and oil leaks. I had it running well until it started leaking oil from the middle of the crankcase. I ended up getting pissed off and purchasing a motor from a 98 Savage off Ebay and dropping it in last week.

After putting it all together it started right up without any problems. Sits there and idles well. The first time I tried to take it out and hit the throttle starting at about 1/4 (maybe slightly less) and up the bike starts choking (from what I can tell). The work I did before, I pulled out 1 of 2 white spacers that were in there and just this morning put it back in thinking it was getting too much fuel. I just fired it up and it is doing the same thing.

When it starts doing this I can see a blue flames shooting out the muffler in broad daylight. I know I am running a 155 main jet but not for sure on the others off the top of my head. This carburator was running fine with the other motor.

Any input would be helpful as I am not for sure if it is "choking" or "starving" for fuel.

Thanks

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Dont know where to go from here
Reply #1 - 07/09/06 at 16:06:26

As bad as it sounds like your running, I think you dealing with something beyond a jetting problem.  (i.e. something broke or stuck)

Have you checked your petc0ck?

It has a wire screen in it that could clog and make you starve for fuel.

If you have black smoke coming out the exhaust, your rich.  If so, check the petc0ck's vacuum line for gas.  The petc0ck has a diaphram in it that can leak gas down that vacuum line and into your carb's mix. (mine had this problem and wouldn't run for sh*t.  Took me a month to figure out)

If the carb had 2 spacers under the needle jet, it was modified by a previous owner. I don't know the size of the spacers you have but a sa reference the stock one is 0.10" thick.  Usually mods go to a 0.065".

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Keith_B
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 07/09/06 at 16:26:47

Shocked  0.065 ?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 07/09/06 at 16:56:04

Keith,
nice catch! I edited it.
serobot

IP Logged
klinc
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 07/09/06 at 17:06:07

I removed the petcock a few weeks ago just to check and make sure it was clean. It also runs like this with the petcock in the "pri" positon so I would think that would remove a vacuum problem as a possibility. I can see a steady stream of fuel through the clear lines and filter installed. No smoke coming out of the exhaust just a noticable flame here and there.

The spacers are pretty thin. Thinner then pictures I have seen of ones on here. Looks like it is getting close to the thinkness of the ones I have seen in pictures with both of them in there, though. I will check the thickness of these the next time I tear the carb apart, probably tomorrow. I am sure it has been "tuned" before.

This afternoon after posting the original message I played with the idle mix screw (not control screw) and turned all the way to the close position and the bike still runs. I can tell it is about to die but still runs. I have been into the carb more times than I can count now and just cleaned it all out once again last night. The only other thing to do would be to soak it as its as clean it is ever going to get with the spray can method.

Like I said it ran ok (other than leaking oil) with the old engine that had 23,000 miles on it. The new engine has 3,600 and is much much cleaner inside. Could this casue the tuning in the carb to be way off?

Just seems to me like it is a too much fuel problem, but dont have a baseline to go from and I am not a mechanic. What I know I have learned by working on this motorcycle really. I did swap the engine myself so I am not too stupid.  Wink

Thnak for the reply

IP Logged
Brewbrother
Serious Thumper

Just lending a
helping hand.

Reply #5 - 07/09/06 at 18:02:24

Have you considered changing the plug wire?? Its the weak link in the spark chain.

Opportunities multiply as they are seized.
No spacer,60 pilot jet, 155 main jet, plug door, sportster muffler, k&n drop in, iridium plug, brake pedal mod,de-badged, Dunlops, bullet turn signals.
  IP Logged
klinc
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 07/09/06 at 18:28:14

No sir.... never thought of spark plug wire. I can add that to the list of stuff to order I suppose.

IP Logged
Brewbrother
Serious Thumper

Just lending a
helping hand.

Reply #7 - 07/09/06 at 18:39:24

klinc wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
No sir.... never thought of spark plug wire. I can add that to the list of stuff to order I suppose.

Its under $20. Plus it couldn't hurt.

Opportunities multiply as they are seized.
No spacer,60 pilot jet, 155 main jet, plug door, sportster muffler, k&n drop in, iridium plug, brake pedal mod,de-badged, Dunlops, bullet turn signals.
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #8 - 07/09/06 at 21:07:27

Might be something else but sounds like the carb, since this is an '87 carb does it  have the three groves on the needle at the c-clip?

IP Logged
klinc
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 07/09/06 at 21:43:20

No grooves in the needle on this carb. It has a metal washer/c-clip/2 thin white plastic spacers from bottom to top.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #10 - 07/09/06 at 22:11:26

well it sounds to me like it's going very rich as soon as the slide lifts the needle hardly at all - have you had the main jet out and are you sure the washer is under it - this holds the needle jet tube in place

IP Logged
klinc
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 07/09/06 at 22:55:33

Yes had it out jsut Saturday evening. Made sure to keep track of the washer and made sure it was put back in.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #12 - 07/09/06 at 23:09:21

Going to prime will prove your getting gas, but your vacuum line could still be drawing extra gas.  Try plugging both ends of the vacuum line and running on prime.  This will tell you if the line has been letting gas sneek past.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #13 - 07/10/06 at 10:51:46

fine idea - if it's sucking gas into the vacuum via a leaking diaphram that would such give it a gulp

IP Logged
klinc
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 07/10/06 at 11:01:35

Well, I have completely screwed up the air/fuel mix screw. Pretty much stuck and stripped.   Undecided

This motorcycle is turning into an expensive mechanics lesson. Trying to find another but might have to buy a brand new carb if I cannot find something soon.

Will keep you posted.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 02:15:43

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Dont know where to go from here

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.