Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Weekly Maintanence (Read 4 times)
luken

Mesa, az
Weekly Maintanence
07/11/06 at 08:48:18

I have seen some references to this in a few other posts.  I was just wondering what sort of weekly checks you vets do to make sure everything is in tip top shape.  I'm a big fan of preventative maintanence and want to make a checklist for boring Sunday afternoons.

Black 02, 55 pilot 155 main, 1/2 spacer, seat mod, sporty muff, air pod.
  IP Logged
Savage Librarian
Serious Thumper

One Hoopy Frood

Houston area
Re: Weekly Maintanence
Reply #1 - 07/11/06 at 09:19:40

Tire condition, tire pressure, oil level, belt condition, check and make sure the mirrors are tight, check the more obvious nuts and bolts, double check anything that I've worked on or modified recently, make sure my overlength cables are still attached right, look it over for rust, make sure my lights work right, and check into anything that I might have noticed or thought I had noticed while riding.

A lot of this is done nearly every time I get on the bike, and there's probably some other things I check that I don't even think about, and probably something that I should check that I don't.

And recently, I've been pulling out my carb about once a week trying to get it working properly again.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely, in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, used-up, worn out, and defiantly shouting 'Geronimo!!!'
xargonthegreat GuitarLOTR   IP Logged
enophile

1998 Savage, black,
mostly stock

Morgantown, WV
Reply #2 - 07/11/06 at 11:43:53

When I bought mine (used) I trailered it home and one of the foot pegs fell off enroute.  Since then, I routinely check the foot peg bolts because I wouldn't want one coming off while I'm driving it.

A single cylinder engine inherently has a lot of vibration so checking the tightness of chassis bolts in general is probably a good idea.

The number of cylinders isn't important...it's how you use them.
  IP Logged
RadarORiley
Serious Thumper

No one notices how
you ride until you
fall off.

West Of Weatherford, Texas
Reply #3 - 07/11/06 at 12:19:45

Daughter & I have a routine before we ride, check tires, oil, brakes, helmets, do sunscreen, put on boots, gloves, jackets, and then we ride to station at top of hill to check gas. This is a short ride that lets us check out any vibration or problem. We're close enough to home to coast down the hill to my place if there is trouble. If all is well, we're off from there. It's sometimes a real pain to check everything but I hope I've spent my last hour waiting in the heat for someone to come pick up a disabled bike. I'm much too old for that now. Smiley

Radar O'Riley
  IP Logged
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Reply #4 - 07/12/06 at 08:05:08

thinking along the clean fire engine concept, as you clean and detail your bike, you will become familiar with all your hardware, and allow yourself time to notice all the little things, to ensure they remain tight and adjusted.

dyna muff,1/2 spacer,152.5,55,drilled air box,idle mix,spark plug door,harley bars & seat,spitfire windshield,turn signal,dunlops,man.pethingy,ISO pegs,engine cage,hiway pegs,support 81
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 02:25:06

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Weekly Maintanence

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.