Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Dont know where to go from here (Read 17 times)
Dragon King

IL
Re: Dont know where to go from here
Reply #15 - 07/10/06 at 15:28:25

this person has been parting out an 87 on e-bay. may try to contact and see if he has a carb. cmt_technologies

I refuse to tiptoe through life...
Only to arrive safely at Death.
  IP Logged
Brewbrother
Serious Thumper

Just lending a
helping hand.

Reply #16 - 07/10/06 at 16:19:35

Brewbrother wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
Its under $20. Plus it couldn't hurt.

My bad I was just looking at the plug cap.

Opportunities multiply as they are seized.
No spacer,60 pilot jet, 155 main jet, plug door, sportster muffler, k&n drop in, iridium plug, brake pedal mod,de-badged, Dunlops, bullet turn signals.
  IP Logged
enophile

1998 Savage, black,
mostly stock

Morgantown, WV
Reply #17 - 07/10/06 at 18:48:05

klinc wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
I can see a blue flames shooting out the muffler in broad daylight.

Flames shooting out the exhaust sounds more like a timing issue than a fuel issue.  

The number of cylinders isn't important...it's how you use them.
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #18 - 07/10/06 at 20:49:46

enophile wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
Flames shooting out the exhaust sounds more like a timing issue than a fuel issue.  

possible - but since we can't directly effect the timing - the other deal that does this is it is so rich raw fuel actually puddles in the muffler and ignites blowing flames - one fellow here had it so rich it was dripping fire out the pipe

IP Logged
klinc
Ex Member

Reply #19 - 07/10/06 at 22:12:16

Well I got a hold of the carburetor from the same person that I bought the motor from. I took it apart and cleaned really well. It was gunked up very bad.

This is the carb that was in the motor when he had it and the jets were way way off from what I was running in my carb for my motor (eg. 155 main jet in mine and 140 in the carb that I got from him). So, yeah it was dumping alot more fuel in it then it was used to taking.

Of course while I had the carb I got today apart I just ahd to use my needle setup in it (It looked to have original spacer in it) and the main jet was missing the metal washer underneath it, so I put mine in there underneath. Yeah, I know I should have left it at what is was first.

It starts now again but with a little more then 1/4 throttle was popping and shooting out white flame now ( this was at night this time). It doesn't start popping until I give a little more throttle than before. Will put the spacer back to the way it was tomorrow and see what happens.

Thanks all for your input.

Edit: Almost forgot.... There is no fuel leaking through the vacuum line from the petcock.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #20 - 07/10/06 at 23:02:29

Really thought that vacuum line was it!  Two different carbs, two different motors, still runnin' funky.  Gotta' look to gas tank/petc0ck, or wiring.
 My bet still says it's a fuel problem and it seems rich.    
 One more thing...  When my vac line was leaking, it didn't show until I gave a gentle suck on the line...  then I got a mouthfull.  Yuuuck!!!  I don't know how else to say it, but, my trouble was very similar to what you discribe.  
 Sorry I can't be of more help.
 Best luck!  It really is a great bike once you work out the bugs.  I bought mine non-running too.

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
enophile

1998 Savage, black,
mostly stock

Morgantown, WV
Reply #21 - 07/11/06 at 04:31:16

Two different motors and two different carbs and no change?  It almost has to be ignition like a bad coil or plug wire perhaps.  You need to focus on the constants, or what *wasn't* changed.

IP Logged
klinc
Ex Member

Reply #22 - 07/11/06 at 10:33:26

OK,
Just tried again. Put the new (to me carb) back to the way I got it (the needle setup and took out the washer underneath the main jet).

Started it up and same thing. Idles good, but when I give it throttle the backfire is still there. I set the petcock to pri and unplugged the vacuum line between it and the carb just to make sure no gas was getting in from there.

I took out the sparkplug, not wet or black. I talked to a guy that works here in the office and he said do a compression check (possible valves rusted and wont seat) and check the timing.

I did not want to have to get into this far but I guess I am going to have to get a service guide/book for this thing.

IP Logged
klinc
Ex Member

Reply #23 - 07/11/06 at 10:38:07

Two different motors and two different carbs and no change?  It almost has to be ignition like a bad coil or plug wire perhaps.  You need to focus on the constants, or what *wasn't* changed.

First motor ran ok. I just took it out because of oil leaks in the middle of the crankcase and I was not comfortable with taking an entire motor apart.

My motor had 23,000 miles and I found a motor off a 1998 with 3,800 miles for only 350 dollars. The guy said the motor ran fine, but his girlfriend freaked out and hit curb and stopsign and bent the rims and front forks all up so he was parting the bike out.

IP Logged
chud
Ex Member

Reply #24 - 07/11/06 at 10:53:22

sounds like that motor has jumped time
check timing and leave carb alown you are geting fuel.
poping  and spiting is a good sign that your out of time or jumped time could even be a bent or stuck valve

IP Logged
klinc
Ex Member

Reply #25 - 07/11/06 at 11:24:24

Yeah, I am done with the carb for now. It has to be with something in the motor.

Is there an easy way to check the timing. I see on here how to check/adjust the valves and along with that putting the piston/valves at a certain point.

If the timing was off I would never be able to get the two to that point right? So, would that work to check timing or is there something else I have to do?

Sorry if I seem to be asking stupid questions. Learning as I go, but I will never forget this stuff this way.

IP Logged
chud
Ex Member

Reply #26 - 07/11/06 at 11:34:45

The fist thing i would do it get the motor to TDC and put an air fiting in the plug hole and see if the air come out the muff or the carb. When you get TDC check your marks but this is not EZ. you could be one tooth off a list of stuff man. I would need to here and see to know for  shure. but check your marks and shout some air to that cyl. if you have no air coming out check marks.

IP Logged
enophile

1998 Savage, black,
mostly stock

Morgantown, WV
Reply #27 - 07/11/06 at 11:41:22

klinc wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
First motor ran ok. I just took it out because of oil leaks in the middle of the crankcase and I was not comfortable with taking an entire motor apart.

My motor had 23,000 miles and I found a motor off a 1998 with 3,800 miles for only 350 dollars. The guy said the motor ran fine, but his girlfriend freaked out and hit curb and stopsign and bent the rims and front forks all up so he was parting the bike out.

OK, I got confused.  In that case, I go back to my original idea of being a timing issue.  I'm assuming you have your original electronics for ignition so there would be no change there, so it would probably be valve timing.

IP Logged
klinc
Ex Member

Reply #28 - 07/11/06 at 11:56:19

OK, I got confused.  In that case, I go back to my original idea of being a timing issue.  I'm assuming you have your original electronics for ignition so there would be no change there, so it would probably be valve timing.

Everything is the same except motor/w starter and now the carburetor. I have changed nothing electronic or otherwise.

IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #29 - 07/11/06 at 12:38:46

Remember having seen this problem on the German forum.
Your frame and the CDI are from '87 and the engine is from '98 ; they don't match

Now you can do 2 things:

1) Remove the rotor from the 87 engine and install on the 98 engine - or

2) Get the CDI from the guy who sold you the 98 engine and install on yours.

Problem solved. Grin

Greetz
Kropatchek 8)

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 04:22:35

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Dont know where to go from here

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.