Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
holes in the air box (Read 7 times)
ST1
Ex Member

holes in the air box
07/06/06 at 14:58:52

i bought a k&n filter to go on my savage.  I read where some of you are drilling holes in the air box for better air flow.  Is one place as good as another or do the holes need to be  in a certain place.  Also what size holes?

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Re: holes in the air box
Reply #1 - 07/06/06 at 15:12:10

welcome, are you also dealing with getting more fuel into the engine and more exhaust out of the engine?

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #2 - 07/06/06 at 15:34:35

I used a 3/8 drill on the airbox door, put maybe 50-60 holes in it, I noticed a difference.  The bike also has a sporty muffler, K+N stock type filter and a 152.5 main jet. After drilling all the holes there was less noise coming from the airbox area and the bike had a little more to end. Didn't want to remove the door cause little critters might move into the airbox. Try removing the airbox  door and see how you like it before you get out the drill.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
911radioman
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 07/06/06 at 16:58:32

Another option might be removing the air box door and installing some screen to keep the critters out.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #4 - 07/06/06 at 17:34:44

There is a product made for doing just this.  It is a "door" or "window" type of thing, that is installed in the sides of an airbox and can be open and closed as desired.

IP Logged
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Reply #5 - 07/07/06 at 08:16:40

i drilled a bunch of 1/2" holes in the door, i avoided drilling on the carb side of the air filter, you need to pay attention to that little detail.

dyna muff,1/2 spacer,152.5,55,drilled air box,idle mix,spark plug door,harley bars & seat,spitfire windshield,turn signal,dunlops,man.pethingy,ISO pegs,engine cage,hiway pegs,support 81
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 16:16:53

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › holes in the air box

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.