Send Topic Print
Airbox Removal Question (Read 50 times)
jaeger
YaBB Newbies

NoVA (Near Washintgon, DC)
Airbox Removal Question
07/05/06 at 11:37:12

Heya, folks --

I just won one of K&N-style podfilters on Ebay, and I'm going to install on my wife's savage -- but there are no instructions for actually removing the airbox itself!  If i'm putting the pod on, the airbox should go (clean up lines, remove weight, etc.)

So: what's attached to the airbox, and how hard will it be to strap everything down?  Anybody know of any online instructions on how to go about this?

--Jaeger

jaegerinhell   IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Re: Airbox Removal Question
Reply #1 - 07/06/06 at 08:32:07

Jeager,

Kinda depends how clean you want it to look afterwards.  The airbox will need to stay unless you want to get rid of the side covers and have a sealed battery to mount under the bike.... or the regular style of battery may fit against the frame.  I also took out the battery box.  I believe Greg650 and lancer have doen the pod thing w/o removing the battery box.  Look for pics of their box.

Here are some of mine:
http://bikepics.com/members/vroom1776/

There's also the "Stealth" mod in the tech sect.

When removing the airbox, there is one bolt hidden behind the belt guard.  You just have to take off the one smallish piece and loosen the big one.  To make all my crap fit, I gutted the air box badly w/ an angle grinder.

IP Logged
DaddySauce

Fried Squid is the
best!

Arizona
Reply #2 - 07/06/06 at 14:43:14

When I removed mine I took out the entire battery box and you just have to "finess" it out (After removing the three bolts holding it onto the frame).  It's not hard at all, but that one hidden bolt behind the belt guard was a B****.  Especially since I tried doing it after I got home from work... ya... everything was HOT!  

Just don't lose any of the bolts.  You will also need an oil breather if some sort.  I just purchased one from Auto Zone for like $10 and put it on the line.  Just gotta make sure it's higher than the motor head or you'll get oil gummed up in it after awhile.  The "brain box" will also need to be re-mounted.  I haven't found the perfect place for it yet, but I have it tied up in front of the rear fender for now and it seems to be the best place.  

After that, just re-tune and make sure you're not running too lean/rich.  You're gonna suck more air in so you should adjust for that.

Good Luck!!

WWW   IP Logged
Jim_R
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 07/06/06 at 14:48:40

i kept my airbox after 1st removing it.  I liked my side covers and used my airbox as storage for extra tools just in case.  I just mounted my pod (off ebay for 15.00) directly on the carb with no probs.

IP Logged
clueless-FSO

Birmingham, Al
Reply #4 - 07/07/06 at 07:19:25

Got mine from Jim_R. Kept airbox for now. I need to try one up on the pilot, but now when I get on the throttle I can hear the intake. Grin

'96 Black "bed liner" paint.. Ed_L forward controls, HD bars with 1"socket risers, 155 main, pod filter, HD exhaust, punched baffle, modded seat, chain drive conversion, slavy mod
one of a kind
WWW   IP Logged
Dragon King

IL
Reply #5 - 07/07/06 at 08:08:48

had my airbox taken out this summer looks great. when I get it back I get pictures of how we mounted the brain box

I refuse to tiptoe through life...
Only to arrive safely at Death.
  IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #6 - 07/07/06 at 08:23:05

DK,

Where'd you stuff the battery?

IP Logged
Dragon King

IL
Reply #7 - 07/07/06 at 10:12:20

right now I still have the battery box it has four bolts on the bottom that go to the fram have toyed with making a braket to move it back alittle where the airfilter was not sure. first priority is getting the bike back and ridding I have not ridden all year do to some bad circumstances.

IP Logged
jaeger
YaBB Newbies

Reply #8 - 07/10/06 at 10:38:39

Thanks for all your answers, folks!  Sounds like the brainbox is the only thing i'll need to remount, which suits me fine (I'd like to do the same to my Triumph, but it's a much more complicated affair, sadly.

Anyway, I'll let y'all know how it goes when I finally get around to it (uuuh, couple weekends from now) and I'll try to get pix 'n' stuff up ASAP.

Thanks!

--Jaeger

jaegerinhell   IP Logged
Dragon King

IL
Reply #9 - 07/10/06 at 17:10:10

IP Logged
DaddySauce

Fried Squid is the
best!

Arizona
Reply #10 - 07/11/06 at 07:58:25

I like the hanging idea.  I'll get pics of where I put mine so you guys can see later.

WWW   IP Logged
jaeger
YaBB Newbies

Reply #11 - 07/16/06 at 17:36:59

Hey, folks!  You were right -- I got the new pod filter in with very little problem -- took a bit to finegal the airbox out, but overall it wasn't too bad at all!  I'll try to get pix up as soon as I can.  

--Jaeger

jaegerinhell   IP Logged
jaeger
YaBB Newbies

Reply #12 - 07/21/06 at 20:39:42

Update: Still no pix, but got the new 160 main jet in...

HOLY S**T!  What an improvement!  Woooo hoooo!!!

Now she pulls cleanly up to 70, even with me (250lbs) on her, and I think she has more to go!

--Jaeger

jaegerinhell   IP Logged
clueless-FSO

Birmingham, Al
Reply #13 - 07/22/06 at 05:50:37

jaeger,
A speedmaster and a Savage...........one lucky dog Grin

'96 Black "bed liner" paint.. Ed_L forward controls, HD bars with 1"socket risers, 155 main, pod filter, HD exhaust, punched baffle, modded seat, chain drive conversion, slavy mod
one of a kind
WWW   IP Logged
jaeger
YaBB Newbies

Reply #14 - 07/24/06 at 08:32:49

Heh.  What's funny is that if I'm just running around locally it's really a decision between the two bikes -- especially now that I have the Savage properly jetted!  

I'll confess, for longer trips (>10 miles or so) the Triumph is easier on the fanny, and she's certainly better on the highway...   but as a city/backroad burner the thumper is a hoot!

If my wife didn't lay claim to it I'd already be putting dragbars and clipons on the Savage.  Tee hee.  Smiley

--Jaeger

jaegerinhell   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 10:26:18

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Airbox Removal Question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.