Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Gas in my crankcase (Read 5 times)
Zobie08
Ex Member

Gas in my crankcase
07/01/06 at 17:11:02

I've got a 1996 Savage and I haven't riddin it for about a year.  I went to change the oil today, but all I got was gas & oil mixture.  I thought I got it all out and added a couple of quarts of oil.  Fired it up, but it soon started to bog down.  Drained the oil again but nothing really comes out like it should.

I have to put an air hose in where you fill the motor with oil and put air into the motor to get anything to come out.  I don't get anything out of the oil drain plug which is located on the bottom of the motor, next to the frame and rear foot brake mounting.  I not an idiot with wrenches and oil changes.  When you take the drain plug out....the oil should come out.  The only thing that comes out of the motor is oil & gas, but that's only when I put the air to it.  The oil & gas then come out where the oil filter is located.

Do I have sludge?  I took the carb apart and cannot see any varnish buildup.  What causes my problem?

Thanks,

IP Logged
olscout99
Ex Member

Re: Gas in my crankcase
Reply #1 - 07/01/06 at 17:36:27

If you had a gas and oil mixture, you don't have sludge- that gas would have cut that and drained most of it out, unless your engine is unbelievably dirty. I'm more inclined to think that you're not using the right bolt for the drain plug. I haven't changed the oil in my Savage yet, but if memory is correct you can make a mistake on what is the actual drain plug. I'm guessing that the 'wrong' bolt will actually drain some if the level is high enough- which it would be if much gas actually got in the oil. Before I'd do much messing though, I'd find out why it's draining gas into the crankcase. Gas dilution (specially if it's as bad as you seem to indicate, which is more like oil dilution of the gas!) is a sure fire way to fry an engine quick.

IP Logged
Zobie08
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 07/01/06 at 17:44:46

Thanks for the info.  I am still trying to solve the problem.  I have removed what appears to be the upper drain plug (allen head bolt) and the lower drain plug (17 metric wrench)

The oil level window is still full.  I'm still blowing air into the case via the oil fill hole, but it's not coming out anywhere but the oil filter area.  There is a lot of oil & gas left in the crank from what i can tell.

The bike sat for a year without a drop of oil on the frame or floor.  It has never used oil and I'm at a loss on this problem.

IP Logged
Brewbrother
Serious Thumper

Just lending a
helping hand.

Reply #3 - 07/01/06 at 18:01:47

How many miles are on the bike??

Opportunities multiply as they are seized.
No spacer,60 pilot jet, 155 main jet, plug door, sportster muffler, k&n drop in, iridium plug, brake pedal mod,de-badged, Dunlops, bullet turn signals.
  IP Logged
Zobie08
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 07/01/06 at 18:21:50

4630 miles

IP Logged
theikeman

Live each day as if
it were your last

Gibsonton in South Florida
Reply #5 - 07/01/06 at 19:05:43

This might be a silly question, but ...
did you remove the fill plug?

You can also get gas in the crankcase from carburetor float problems

FYI

Ike

1996 Just bought it, Maroon, so much to do, so little time ... Future adds: Iridium, dyna muff, air filter mod, fork brace, 1 piece seat, carb mod and more
  IP Logged
Zobie08
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 07/01/06 at 19:20:15

Yep, the fill plug and drain plugs have all been removed.  My oil level window is still completely full.  I put the fill plug back in, along with the top drain plug or (oil outlet plug I believe).  Next I blew air into the case where the oil filter mounts just to see if I get air coming out the lower drain plug.  I get plenty of air exiting.

I believe it to be a carb problem, which eventually overflows into the crank case somehow.  That's one problem.  I just wish I could get my crankcase to drain.  I know that it still has gas / oil in it because I leaned the bike over on it's left side and the oil level window was clear.  Leaned it back upright and it still showing full.

Ugghh!!

IP Logged
diesel
2004 No Login

Watsontown, PA
Reply #7 - 07/01/06 at 22:08:22

drain plug is LEFT side of crankcase behind LEFT frame rail, 14 or 17 mm, could be either.

IP Logged
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Reply #8 - 07/02/06 at 02:38:24

Zobie08 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
I don't get anything out of the oil drain plug which is located on the bottom of the motor, next to the frame and rear foot brake mounting.

You must not be taking out the drain plug. It's on the left side, not the right near the footpeg. As you sit on the bike...on your left.

Number 16 & 17 in this diagram:
http://houseofmotorcycles.bikebandit.com/partsbandit/assets/schematics/Suzuki...

The gas in the oil is a problem. Did you store your bike with the petc0ck in the ON position or PRIME ? It should be left in the ON position.

Either your petc0ck has gone bad or your float needle is allowing gas to flow when it should be shut off. Add 3 ounces of Sea Foam carb cleaner to a full tank of gas and see if things free up. You can also rap on the bottom of the carb with a screwdriver handle to try to free up the float/needle.

IP Logged
Zobie08
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 07/02/06 at 11:37:18

Thanks for all the help everyone gave me.  Dynobob was correct, the drain plug is on the left side.  Looking at my petcock, it was left in the reserve position, which may explain why all the gas drained into the crankcase.  Last time I make that mistake.

Your a great group...I owe everyone a beer!

I'll post again to let you know how things turned out.

IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #10 - 07/03/06 at 09:10:53

Zobie08 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
 Looking at my petcock, it was left in the reserve position, which may explain why all the gas drained into the crankcase.

Sorry to correct you: this is not true.

In the RES ( and ON ) position fuel should only come out when there's vacuum applied by the carb.

As for the float valve: as the fuel in the bowl evaporates jus a little it's open and the bike is on the sidestand, i.o.w. leaning to the left,  it will not close.

Check the petc0ck for proper function.

Greetz
Kropatchek 8)

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
Steve530
2005 No Login

Knoxville, TN
Reply #11 - 07/04/06 at 11:51:42

You might be confusing the RES and PRI positions.  On my '97 it's confsuing. The lever points down for FUEL, forward for RES, and backward for PRI.  But there is an arrow on the lever that points away from the lever. So if you point the head of the arrow toward the  letters RES, you actually have the petc0ck set  to PRI.  Very counter-intuitive.  Unless, of course, I'm completely wrong.

My guess you left it on PRI. Then, I think,  gas will flow throuh the carb back through the throat and into the airbox.  Then it'll drain through the drain tube until it reaches the height of the crancase breather tubes and finally drain into the crankcase.

Anyway, be sure to remove the cap from the draintube just to be sure it's empty.

Steve

'97 Black / 1/2 white spacer
155 main jet / 55 pilot jet / Dyna muffler
snorkel removed / K&N drop in / seat raised
Slipstreamer SS30 windshield
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/24/24 at 23:32:16