Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Shutdown Problem Solved & Backfire Gone (Read 8 times)
SouthernMD
Ex Member

Shutdown Problem Solved & Backfire Gone
07/01/06 at 17:10:21

Thanks All.  The problem of my Savage shutting down while ridding was getting worse so I pulled the carb today to take a look inside.  Sure enough I found the 3 Cs (Crud, Crap, and Corrosion).  So off to the parts store I go for a can of carb cleaner.  

After giving the insides of the carb a good bath I decide to try the white spacer mod to get rid of the backfire.  Well both projects were a success the bike no longer shuts down at high speed and it no longer backfires when I shut it off.  

For the curious my 96 Savage has the original air box, a K&N direct replacement air filter, all of the stock jets, and stock exhaust.  I used 2 stainless steel washers (found in a pack of mixed size washers bought at Radio Shack) which equals ½ the thickness of the white spacer, set the float at 6 mm instead of 6.9 mm, and set the idle mixture to 3 turns out.  

Thanks SuzukiSavage.com members for all the great reference material giving me the information I needed to make my Savage what I want it to be.

IP Logged
Brewbrother
Serious Thumper

Just lending a
helping hand.

Re: Shutdown Problem Solved & Backfire Gone
Reply #1 - 07/01/06 at 17:48:08

Resourcefullness noted. Grin

Opportunities multiply as they are seized.
No spacer,60 pilot jet, 155 main jet, plug door, sportster muffler, k&n drop in, iridium plug, brake pedal mod,de-badged, Dunlops, bullet turn signals.
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #2 - 07/01/06 at 21:34:17

There is nothing like a little success to make one feel good.

Well done.

IP Logged
SouthernMD
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 07/05/06 at 04:26:23

Well backfire almost gone. Undecided  While out ridding this past weekend on the highway at 65 or 70 mph I let off the throttle quickly to down shift and got a POP so it’s not 100% cured.  I’m figuring I need to go up 1 size with the hi speed jet to cure this.  What do y’all think? Roll Eyes

SOMD

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #4 - 07/05/06 at 23:37:17

Back up there Hoss .. it is pilot jet running to lean in the low throttle range that creates the backfire... 90 % of the time anyway ... and we are assuming that the exhaust has no leaks.   So the likely solution is to richen the pilot circuit.  If you are more than 2 turns out on the pilot adjusting screw, then go for the next larger jet.  Mikuni reommends that you you use the jet that keeps the adjusting screw as close to 1.5 turns out as possible, when the carb is running as desired...with no backfire.

IP Logged
SouthernMD
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 07/06/06 at 02:43:30

Perhaps I’m confused. Undecided  If I’m rolling along at 35, 40, 55, or even 60 mph no backfire no matter how I let off the throttle.  If I crank it up to 65 or 70 and let off easy no backfire.  If I let off the throttle quick at 65 or 70, POP.  So is this caused by the pilot jet or the high speed jet? ???

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 06:26:48

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Shutdown Problem Solved & Backfire Gone

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.