Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Front brake not lighting the brake light? (Read 30 times)
Tomohawk
Ex Member

Front brake not lighting the brake light?
06/24/06 at 18:33:15

Hi guys,
I finally got my new 1993 savage on the road after 6 weeks of waiting. I installed a new battery myself last week, as well as an iridium ix spark plug (did the spark plug door mod at the same time Wink ) However I discovered the front brake is not lighting the brake light, but the foot pedal is working on it though. I changed the rear bulb yesterday when I noticed both tail and brake light weren't working. There was a 24v bulb in it. I put in a 12v replacement instead. is this okay?

Any ideas on how to trace and fix the front brake light issue?
thanks.

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Re: Front brake not lighting the brake light?
Reply #1 - 06/24/06 at 20:01:36

I have the opposite problem, my back brake won't activate the brake light. But I know what's wrong with mine. The Brake Light cable came unattached.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Reply #2 - 06/24/06 at 21:07:06

Tomohawk wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
There was a 24v bulb in it. I put in a 12v replacement instead. is this okay?

The bike is 12 volt - it should have 12 volt bulbs. It sounds like the previous owner  had a problem with blowing the rear light.

I have no idea about your front brake light.

IP Logged
bacon13
YaBB Newbies

Minnesota
Reply #3 - 06/24/06 at 22:04:01

I have an 87 and does the same thing. I have not been able to trace the cause.

Could it be normal?

IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #4 - 06/25/06 at 09:03:17

To Bacon - NO this is not normal.
To Tomahawk -  Most probable reason is the fr. brake light switch or the 2 connectors for this switch. If You take a look under the fr. brake You should see a small black box. This is the switch. There should be 2 wires /I don't want to give You colors, because I don't have '93 schematic/. These wires tend to get disconnected from the switch. Make sure they are connected to the switch. If they are not- connect them and check for the result with the ign. ON. If the problem persists, unhook the wires and jump them with a paper clip or with a piece of wire. This should fix the problem. If not - it means there is a problem with the wiring.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
Dragon King

IL
Reply #5 - 06/25/06 at 15:44:00

I have an 87 and last year had the brake and clutch lever chromed when I got the bike back from the shop the front lever did not light the brake light, so after some playing around there is a little slide piece that was not in the right place. I just played with it until it worked. good luck Grin

I refuse to tiptoe through life...
Only to arrive safely at Death.
  IP Logged
bacon13
YaBB Newbies

Minnesota
Reply #6 - 06/27/06 at 18:47:00

After looking at mine further, I can get the light to come on some of the time when I apply front brake very hard. I do this of course in the garage. It doesn't come on all the time though.

I looked for the switch under the brake and am not finding it on my 87. I'm checking the manual now for its location.

IP Logged
smokey02

Time flies like an
arrow, fruit flies
like bananas

Alta Loma, California
Reply #7 - 06/27/06 at 21:39:08

The switch is on the back side of the collar that holds the kill switch and the brake lever. Its a little black microswitch that the end of the brake lever touches. Mine did the same thing, no light with front brake. Then I discovered the slip on terminals were working loose, had to push them back on to get it working again. This drawing shows the brake light switch number 8 - stop switch assembly ($12) and number 9 - screw ($1) usd

Maroon 96, HD turnout, Iridium, TKat brace, Big Crank, seat lift, Narva +50 w/ yellow filter in a XV920 9
WWW   IP Logged
Tomohawk
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 07/05/06 at 14:54:29

Update:
I have established that the wiring circuit from the front brake unit works to the tail/brake light 'cos I shorted the twin parallel concectors that are below item 8 in the picture. Smiley I then had a look up into the underside of the unit attached to the handlebars with item 9 and 2 screws (item 10) detached. I noticed a big gap between the level and the twin parallel concectors. Item 8 (marked in red) seems to be completely missing!!

Is it possible to order this part (Item 8)?

Would it be possible to upgrade the whole front brake system, i.e. master cyclinder and brake lever and/or install a bigger disc and brake unit down below on the front wheel? BTW the bike is a 1993 Savage (lived in europe all its life) Cheesy

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 06:20:33

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Front brake not lighting the brake light?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.