Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
running out of gas....... (Read 2 times)
smokey02

Time flies like an
arrow, fruit flies
like bananas

Alta Loma, California
Re: running out of gas.......
Reply #15 - 07/02/06 at 11:04:47

I got one of those little combination locks at the 99˘ store. Hooked it on one of those plastic cable ties on the right handlebar. I put the last 3 #s of my odometer on it when I fill up. After about 110 miles, I listen very carefully till I hear or feel a hesitation in the throttle. It's easy if I am moving along, but at signals when the idle starts to slow down, I have to act fast. Quickly getting into neutral so I can free my left hand from the clutch and flip it to reserve. Last 2 times that happened, I was able to get it switched before it died. Then I have to gas up before I go another 20 miles.

Maroon 96, HD turnout, Iridium, TKat brace, Big Crank, seat lift, Narva +50 w/ yellow filter in a XV920 9
WWW   IP Logged
Steve530
2005 No Login

Knoxville, TN
Reply #16 - 07/04/06 at 11:40:51

Sue,

You might want to check out some mesh pants. My wife has a pair and says they are cooler than jeans, except her knees get warm because of the armor.   She wears a pair of regular shorts under her mesh pants.

Steve

'97 Black / 1/2 white spacer
155 main jet / 55 pilot jet / Dyna muffler
snorkel removed / K&N drop in / seat raised
Slipstreamer SS30 windshield
  IP Logged
divecop
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 07/04/06 at 15:47:19

Sue...you knew you need to fill up so I won't mention any ideas on how to keep up with your mileage...lol  I understand the spacely sprocket thing, everyone i ride with has great big tanks and they don't need to stop every 100 miles like i do...so if they pass up a station and I need to stop, I just stop anyway...better than running out of gas.  

Question:  what mods have you done to your bike and which mods do you plan to do in the future...thanx for your help...

IP Logged
Paula71
2005 No Login

Ohio Rider 'N Luvn
every minute!

Troy, Ohio
Reply #18 - 07/04/06 at 15:50:07

Sue,
Now you know the feeling of hitting reserve level.  Next time you won't even have to pull over.  I reserve on the fly all the time.  Only time it is a huge problem is on the interstate when at times you slow 15-20mph before it kicks in again.   Once on reserve I have nearly 50miles to go before total out.  If you know your mpg and where you are, you should be fine.  Now on longer trips and away from home=top off frequently!!  Wink

I have tried helmet communicators and found them completely annoying.  Now granted I did not have the top o the line model either.  Seemed to be more frustrating then with out.   More time riding together the less you will need to talk anyhow.  Once he has been in the saddle a little longer he will most likely pay more attention to you following and less to the road and bike.  And hand signals and head nods work wonders! Smiley

WWW sctsamj sctsamj   IP Logged
starmom
Ex Member

Reply #19 - 07/04/06 at 17:37:33

Thanks for the support........

as far as modifications.......
Ive removed most all the makers marks...blow dryer/dental floss method.

applied an amy brown fairy to the tank. (temporary, better than the boulevard emblem, but it was too naked with nothing)

fringes for my handlebars.......

saddle bag supports and willie and max saddlebags.

back rest and rack.

still have to get to upgrading the bulb, have the bulb just have been working too much including the today and yesterday.

would like a tank bag for trips, and down the line have a friend do an really cool airbrush on the bike, not sure what yet......he is very talented did an amazing eagle in flight on his harley.  possible a windshield at some point.

I still have work to do on my skills.......I still have problems sometimes at a complete stop on a hill and getting going again without stalling......coordination????vs. cold engine????

I have to take the bike out and practice and practice and practice tommorow before spacely and I go for a ride (full tank of gas).   may do a cleaning and alittle waxing to bring out alittle more shine, hubbys harley im told got l9 coats of wax, so shiney it will blind ya...

and tommorow nite he goes home the way "I" want to...I followed him last time, it was dark, he went in my opinon a very stupid way, all up hill, cold engine, lots of traffic lights ,too many cars. I stalled twice in traffic from the red light, very nerve wracking, and makes me feel stupid.

IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #20 - 07/05/06 at 02:42:01

starmom wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
and tommorow nite he goes home the way "I" want to...I followed him last time, it was dark, he went in my opinon a very stupid way, all up hill, cold engine, lots of traffic lights ,too many cars. I stalled twice in traffic from the red light, very nerve wracking, and makes me feel stupid.

As stated in a previous post, maybe a year ago.

NEVER follow a HD.

Rumour goes that they (the HD's ) seem to loose parts.

Fact: I followed my brothers RoadKing and he lost a muffler

Anyway; the rider with the slowest bike and less experience and the smallest tank should lead the pack

Greetz
Kropatchek 8)

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 16:18:51

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › running out of gas.......

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.