Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
running out of gas....... (Read 2 times)
starmom
Ex Member

running out of gas.......
06/28/06 at 19:23:36

0k, so hubby and I decided to go out for a ride and go to bike nite down by the river tonite......

I knew and told him that I would need to get gas for the bike in like l5-20 miles.

So I follow him, mind you we DO NOT have any helmet communication system yet.

Im following him, and following him and following him...i wondering "where the hell is he going?"

we are traveling around 50-55 miles an hours on country roads, and it felt like the bike was kinda doing a rhythmic hesitation, not sure if it was wind or something else.........next thing I know..............nothing......no power..........so I figure Ive run out of gas, pull over, turn the petcock to reserve and nothing when i tried to start, turned the petcock to prime for a moment then to reserve and got going again.....it took awhile for my other half to realize i was no longer behind him... ???

I caught up, down the road a piece...but here we are in the middle of nowhere.....I knew I had like around .7 of a gallon, did find a gas station.....

NEXT TIME im running low, I fill up first before I go out with spacely sprocket............AND get some helmet communications device.....

anyone have one? cost? and distance that it works?

will def need this to do longer trips with him or its just gonna be less fun................

sue

IP Logged
starmom
Ex Member

Re: running out of gas.......
Reply #1 - 06/28/06 at 19:26:14

oh and we did make it to bike nite........

man was it humid, that is one of the problems with motorcycling in the summer, the long pants, socks and boots  ...and hey im a chick in my 40's so ive already got my own personal heater......

I thinks Im gonna put my birkenstocks in the saddlebags for the future so i can COOL OFF, my feet tend to be my thermostat, if they can cool off so can the rest of me............

it felt like l00% humidity today....

sue

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #2 - 06/28/06 at 20:40:19

I keep shorts and sandlas at the shop during the late spring through early autumn. I moved to western Washington to get away from this weather.

I run out of gas all the time. No biggie. Keep a 2 gallon can in the back of the truck (no fuel gauge).
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #3 - 06/28/06 at 20:50:28

Yeah, but riding and driving at the same time is really tuff to do..I keep pressing the starter on the truck and nutting happens Grin

IP Logged
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Reply #4 - 06/29/06 at 07:28:23

haha, lmao, thats just too funny, i'm sorry, it probably wasn't too funny at the time, maybe "spacely sprocket" thought his big bad HD was just too much for your suzi  Roll Eyes and figured you'd catch up,,,,,eventually Grin or, perhaps the HD was too much for him, and he was preoccupied with all that ???
debby and i use hand signals to communicate, and i keep a pretty close eye on her. she ran out of gas on our 300 mile trip, during the last leg, 6 miles from the house. by the time i got turned around to see what the problem was, she had switched to res, and was fired up and rolling.
 from a hubby's point of view, we have you chewing in our ear enough on a daily basis  Tongue (lol) a little peace and quiet on a loud motorcycle isn't a bad thing  Lips Sealed ,,, (maybe thats just me) Wink save the money, and go for more rides Grin i'm sure you let him know about his unattentiveness, and it'll likely not happen again Embarrassed
 birkenstocks in the bag sounds like a good idea.
i have my mind shape saver shades on, let the hubby bashing begin 8) lol

dyna muff,1/2 spacer,152.5,55,drilled air box,idle mix,spark plug door,harley bars & seat,spitfire windshield,turn signal,dunlops,man.pethingy,ISO pegs,engine cage,hiway pegs,support 81
  IP Logged
luken

Mesa, az
Reply #5 - 06/29/06 at 07:55:56

I have been wanting to ask this...on the speedometer, just opposite of the green neutral light...is something supposed to be there?  It looks like there might be a light of some sort there but I cant tell.  

If not someone should figure out a low-gas mod light thingy to stick in there.

Black 02, 55 pilot 155 main, 1/2 spacer, seat mod, sporty muff, air pod.
  IP Logged
RadarORiley
Serious Thumper

No one notices how
you ride until you
fall off.

West Of Weatherford, Texas
Reply #6 - 06/29/06 at 08:00:11

Don't know if this will work but I've been thinking about getting one for myself. It says it will connect to FRS/GMRS and cell phones, so that should allow communication between bikes. We already have the GMRS radios, we use them to communicate directions to each other when backing our boat into garage. Has helped save many an arguement Grin
ebay # 4627100426

Radar O'Riley
  IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #7 - 06/29/06 at 08:23:13

Anybody else think that switching to reserve isn't running out of gas? I ran my tank level down to where I needed reserve intentionally a couple of times on the Savage. I also switch to reserve once a week to make sure that the fuel at the bottom of the tank gets used. I've never really run out of gas on my MC. I've never even had to use reserve on my Concours.

IP Logged
Island_Biker
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 06/29/06 at 10:34:58

I agree- switching to reserve is not the same as running out of gas. Running out means no-go.

I've only run completely out once in the alst 2 years of riding and that was on my 2nd or 3rd tank with the Savage this year before I figured out which way was up for the switch.

I know now.

IP Logged
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Reply #9 - 06/29/06 at 11:08:53

mornhm - FSO wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
Anybody else think that switching to reserve isn't running out of gas?

that depends on how far it is between gas stations.
we ride 100 miles a week average, we just top the tanks, what ever is in the bottom of the tank gets mixed/dilluted by the fresh load of premium every week.

dyna muff,1/2 spacer,152.5,55,drilled air box,idle mix,spark plug door,harley bars & seat,spitfire windshield,turn signal,dunlops,man.pethingy,ISO pegs,engine cage,hiway pegs,support 81
  IP Logged
starmom
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 06/29/06 at 11:35:20

I realize that with reserve you are not totally out, the purpose of the reserve for me is to have enough to hopefully get to you a gas station.

In our case, spacely sprocket had us out in the country in what felt like the middle of NOWHERE...we are in UPSTATE NY very close to the shawangunk mountains, beautiful country some of the best rock climbing in the north east!

It was several miles to the nearest gas station...it would have suc***ed to run out completely...........

was an interesting experience to feel what the engine was doing as it was running out of "available" fuel, that kinda  "chug thump, chug thump, chug thump" a hesitation in between the cycle.......I wont forget that feeling again and will know that I need to reach down and switch that petcock to resv...

Add another "thing" to my brains memory of stuff about the bike.  Hummm......what useless info can i get rid of in my brain for this more important stuff?????

IP Logged
DaddySauce

Fried Squid is the
best!

Arizona
Reply #11 - 06/29/06 at 11:52:21

Spacely Sprocket would have had to remove one of his hoses to cyphen his gas out and fill your tank a bit.  Next time that happens I'd like to see pictures.  Smiley

Upstate NY is awesome!  I was born and raised up there and I loved every minute of it... well... except the time I was driving in a blizzard and a teacher t-boned me as I was trying to control a fish-tail... yaaa....

WWW   IP Logged
Al_ironman
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 06/29/06 at 13:21:51

I have a rule: always fill the bikes up just before I'm home. Don't care if it only needs a half gallon. It was hard to get one of my buddies to do that, until he ran out of gas on I-75 about ten miles from an exit one day. Since then he has followed the fill it up rule every time he rides.

IP Logged
Al_ironman
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 06/29/06 at 13:23:56

Oh yea, I like the color of your bike.

IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #14 - 06/29/06 at 13:51:31

azjay wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
that depends on how far it is between gas stations.
we ride 100 miles a week average, we just top the tanks, what ever is in the bottom of the tank gets mixed/dilluted by the fresh load of premium every week.

Yeah, I'm probably being (insert something that the forum software probably won't allow) since I ride everyday, and even with a 7 1/2 gallon tank I probably don't leave fuel in the tank too long, but since water is heavier than gasoline and does seperate out, I feel better using the reserve pipe to draw lower in the tank periodically.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 14:28:32

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › running out of gas.......

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.