Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Do it yourself (FLAT TIRE) (Read 21 times)
bobtreat
Ex Member

Do it yourself (FLAT TIRE)
06/25/06 at 17:01:59

I'm a do it yourself guy,So today to save a couple bucks
the wife and i attemped to change the front tire.Sounds easy enough,changed car,truckand even tractor tires.
Well metzeler tires are tough AngryI mean tough!Not thin and flimbsy like the IRC we took off.Two hours later with a lot of gruntin we got it on Grin Only to have air woosh out as fast as it went in :'( Made the phone call to our scooter mechanic.Gotta wait till tomorrow for a new tube.I think i over tightened the valvestem nut.We'll see when he gets it off UndecidedAny thoughts??

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Re: Do it yourself (FLAT TIRE)
Reply #1 - 06/25/06 at 17:38:31

Other than bicycles I've not mounted a tire.  And from what you post I think I'll pass and let those experienced in the art do it for me.

WWW   IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #2 - 06/25/06 at 22:16:40

p,

that's the way i've done it for years

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #3 - 06/26/06 at 00:33:01

I change motorcycle tires everyday. Nothing to it. Pull the valve core, deflate tire, and run through the bead breaker. Clamp in tire machine. Grunt, swear, cut through the tread with my sawsall because the tire has no flex left. Dismount sad carcass. Cuss some more because I forgot to remove the stem nut on the tube and yanked the tube (sans stem) into a zillion little dry rotted pieces. Or got the tire machine stuck in the tube and holed it.

Goop up the new tire's beads and the wheel hoop with rim ease (fancy name for dish soap). Install the first half of the tire. Cuss, fight, throw the 600 pound tire machine across the shed trying to install that new tube in the hole. Install the second half of the tire.

I can change a big rig tire in 15-20 minutes. A car tire the same. A Kenda cheapie on a Kawasaki or similar cast wheel? 5 minutes, including balancing. A Metzeler or Kings on a spoked wheel? Anywhere from 10 minutes to 6 hours... Shocked
-WD

I hate changing tires, but, I'm the best person at it in my shop...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
bobtreat
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 06/26/06 at 13:38:12

All done new tube mounted tire and balanced cost a woppin $12.20.Sometimes it just dose'nt pay to be a do it yourselfer!!!!!

IP Logged
911radioman
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 06/26/06 at 17:03:45

I let the boys at the bike shop deal with my tires.  Couldn't pay me enough to mess with those things...

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #6 - 06/27/06 at 03:17:57

Bike shop allways fit my tyre's too, it's cheaper on tubes.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #7 - 06/27/06 at 04:14:07

I got a new rear tire a few months back on ebay, thought of doing it myself, called the local helpful dealer to inquire about new tube and cost to mount/balance ... they said about $36.   Hmmmmmm, I thought.  That sounds like a good deal, so I take it in... it's late in the day so I pick it up the next morning ... but is the bill $36 ??  No, it is less.  Icannot remember the exact amount but it was somewhere around $26-28 I think.
Hmmm, I think.  For once I made the right decision the first time.  YEAH ME !!!!   Grin Grin

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #8 - 06/27/06 at 06:35:14

The folks used one of these on the last tire change - always seemed a little tight with the rear short spokes, this makes it easier

IP Logged
mickthelimey
Ex Member

re, jacking up the bike
Reply #9 - 07/01/06 at 02:16:07

I know our Savages do NOT have a center stand,why they don't put them on I shall never know.
Any way what do you guys do to remove the belt drive?
        I also notice a bracket slightly aft of midships,my question is,can I use a jack on that spot to lift my bike without bending it? any one have any better ideas?
                Mick the Limey

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
  IP Logged
Banger

Carpe Zookem

Tennessee, USA
Reply #10 - 07/01/06 at 04:50:25

Reelthing wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
The folks used one of these on the last tire change - always seemed a little tight with the rear short spokes, this makes it easier
http://mccserv.com/savage/stem.jpg

Dude, I would KILL sometimes to have a valvestem like that. The only gas station in my town that has free air has a long big-rig style head on the air hose, so I can't air up there. I have to take the Zook down to my parents' house and borrow their air compressor. And to get an accurate pressure, of course, I have to let the bike sit for an hour or more so the tires cool before checking and airing.

Anyway, on a slightly related note, I had my first flat on my new Trek bicycle yesterday and attempted to patch it. No-can-do. I was fairly amazed at myself being able to figure out the procedure for removing the tire and everything, and even in putting it back on the rim, but I just couldn't get the patches to hold-- and that was with the rubber cement supplied in the patch kit! Sometimes, it's better to just buy a new tube and move on with your life.

I'm looking into a company called Air-Free Tires for my next set of bicycle tires. As the name implies, no air is used for their tires. And they supposedly ride remarkably similar to pneumatic tires, according to most people I know who have used them. The idea wouldn't work on the Savage, I'm afraid, but I look forward to trying them out on my Trek one day.

Regards,
Banger
=======

WWW   IP Logged
911radioman
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 07/01/06 at 11:30:33

Yep, those right angle stems are sweet.  I had one installed when I replaced my rear tire this spring.  8)

IP Logged
MacAttack
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 07/06/06 at 09:29:55

Air-free tires...

In the dirt bike world, there are two solutions - mousse tubes (foam tubes) and Tire Balls (foam balls). Both are expensive and a PITA to install. But I don't see why that can't be done on the street side.
I want 1% royalty Cheesy

IP Logged
enophile

1998 Savage, black,
mostly stock

Morgantown, WV
Reply #13 - 07/06/06 at 12:14:36

MacAttack wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
Air-free tires...

In the dirt bike world, there are two solutions - mousse tubes (foam tubes) and Tire Balls (foam balls). Both are expensive and a PITA to install. But I don't see why that can't be done on the street side.
I want 1% royalty Cheesy

I think they are not good on the street due to the lack of cushioning that is provided by a pneumatic tire.  They probably wouldn't corner very well, either, because the tire wouldn't form itself to the road as well.

The number of cylinders isn't important...it's how you use them.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #14 - 07/06/06 at 22:19:03

Mick, I either jack up the bike at that bracket you mention, or use a board on the floor jack. Haven't messed it up yet, and my Savage has spent a good part of the last 8 months on a jack.

Oh, and it is definitely worth the extra $3 a tube for the 90 degree stems. For ANY motorcycle wheel.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 16:22:29

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Do it yourself (FLAT TIRE)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.