Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Man I hate rocks! (Read 12 times)
GA_Wolf
Ex Member

Man I hate rocks!
06/20/06 at 06:11:24

Well riding the wife's S40 into work this morning...which happens to be past a quarry.  Well, riding alond happy as a clam on a warm sunny orning and all of a sudden from the ongoing lane I see a big flattish rock about 6 inches in diameter and about 4 inches thick "frisbee'ing" into my lane.  (Must have gotten kicked up fron a truck going the other way.  Well before I could say "OH Sh*t" I felt a jar to the bike... slowed down a bit..looking for trailing oil and doing some slight course corrections to make sure everthing appeared to still be working, I continued on to work.  Examined the bike to see what got hit and noticed the frame below the "Y" but just above the shifter toe piece was literally crushed half of it's diameter.  Thought to myself..if that would have hit my shin it a would have least left me with stitches, but more likely would have broke my leg or ankle.  Worse is if it would have hit the front of the engine case, it probably would have cracked it or punched a hole in it.  Think the frame will have enough structural strength to be safe, but will have to throw some paint on it to keep it from corroding.  Will put a pic on tonight showing the hit...
Man I hate rocks!

IP Logged
bikingb
2005 No Login

Love to Ride!

Appleton, WI
Re: Man I hate rocks!
Reply #1 - 06/20/06 at 06:15:17

yeowch

Let yourself be silently drawn by the stronger pull of that which you really love..... Rumi
http://bikepics.com/pictures/598442
bikingb   IP Logged
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Reply #2 - 06/20/06 at 09:19:16

as you pointed out, you're very lucky it hit where it did, a few inches either way could have been a much bigger problem. i think i'd go play the lottery if i were you. glad you were'nt hurt.

dyna muff,1/2 spacer,152.5,55,drilled air box,idle mix,spark plug door,harley bars & seat,spitfire windshield,turn signal,dunlops,man.pethingy,ISO pegs,engine cage,hiway pegs,support 81
  IP Logged
Island_Biker
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 06/20/06 at 10:28:08

Perhaps you should take a tip from Brewbrother and throw your helmet at the truck.  Roll Eyes

Unlucky to be hit at all, lucky it wasn't serious.

IP Logged
steelwolf
Serious Thumper

"I'm a cowboy,
on a steel horse I
ride."

Trinity, NC
Reply #4 - 06/20/06 at 14:05:22

I knew from the title this wasn't going to be good. Glad you were not hurt. Smiley

WWW   IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #5 - 06/20/06 at 14:33:21

Shocked You are one lucky mo fo that you weren't hurt (or worse)!
I'd get that frame welded if I were you ... A.S.A.P.! A good welding shop should be able to repair it ... Good Luck dude!

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Brewbrother
Serious Thumper

Just lending a
helping hand.

Reply #6 - 06/20/06 at 16:03:37

Glad you were not hurt. That could have been a lot worse. I'd see about getting the frame repaired. A frame breaking while riding would be disasterous and potentially deadly.

Opportunities multiply as they are seized.
No spacer,60 pilot jet, 155 main jet, plug door, sportster muffler, k&n drop in, iridium plug, brake pedal mod,de-badged, Dunlops, bullet turn signals.
  IP Logged
Brewbrother
Serious Thumper

Just lending a
helping hand.

Reply #7 - 06/20/06 at 16:04:46

Island_Biker wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
Perhaps you should take a tip from Brewbrother and throw your helmet at the truck.  Roll Eyes

Unlucky to be hit at all, lucky it wasn't serious.

Well It was unintentional. I wonder what the driver thought.

No spacer,60 pilot jet, 155 main jet, plug door, sportster muffler, k&n drop in, iridium plug, brake pedal mod,de-badged, Dunlops, bullet turn signals.
  IP Logged
GA_Wolf
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 06/20/06 at 16:41:27

Here are some pics...

The tubing is crushed but not puntured or cracked.  Wonder if there is a need to weld it and if they can even do anything short of cutting the section out...unfortunately it's right on the motor/peg mount.

IP Logged
steelwolf
Serious Thumper

"I'm a cowboy,
on a steel horse I
ride."

Trinity, NC
Reply #9 - 06/20/06 at 17:04:36

Looks bad. With the bolt running thru the frame there it probably kept it from folding into. A few centimeters either way and who knows? As far as fixing it, Maybe some sort of bandaid welded over and then painted. Either that or that section would have to be cut out and then rebuilt to accomodate the engine mounting bolt. Man you were very fortunate to have not been hurt badly and to have no engine damage. That must have been one helluva rock.  I would suggest finding another way to work but what are the odds that something like that would ever happen again? To any of us? We would probably stand a better chance at winning the lottery.

WWW   IP Logged
Brewbrother
Serious Thumper

Just lending a
helping hand.

Reply #10 - 06/20/06 at 18:15:35

Get it fixed asap. That is a frame failure waiting to happen. Shocked

IP Logged
orrin7
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 06/21/06 at 15:24:11

As everyone else has said you need to get that fixed. Although it is not as much a stress point as one may think b/c mos of your stress is in the backbone and at the top where the t. tree mounts. but it is a flex point and may soon crack. and i would not do a bandaid weld. b/c the heat to fill that in may make it brittle. Also I do not know about this but wonder what your insurance would say if they saw it. probully would not like it.

IP Logged
starmom
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 06/21/06 at 17:10:16

oh geez..........

Man am I glad that you are ok, it can be startling to have something that did that to metal come so hitting a part of your body....

take care and get that fixed.......

sue

IP Logged
pgolden
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 06/21/06 at 21:47:24

When weld that up, make sure you don't "arc" weld the engine bearings.

IP Logged
divecop
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 06/21/06 at 21:56:03

You are so lucky...sorry the bike got hurt, but sure glad it was the bike and not you... 8)

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 16:20:11

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Man I hate rocks!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.