Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
back firing (Read 2 times)
mickthelimey
Ex Member

back firing
06/14/06 at 22:59:26

I am a first time buyer, I got it used 2002 with 7000 miles on it,I love the bike,reminds me of my youth when I rode an ES2 norton back in England,I am 69 years old.
I noticed that she back fires quite allot when winding down,is this common? should I switch to premium gas?
or is it some thing else?
            Any ideas,  Mick

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
  IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Re: back firing
Reply #1 - 06/15/06 at 03:34:22

Mickthelimey, welcome to the forum.
Regarding the backfiring there are several solutions to tit. Search the forum and all will be made clear to you.
BTW I like the backfiring.

Greetz
Kropatchek Grin

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #2 - 06/21/06 at 07:53:19

Hi Mick,

Welcome to the Savage world.  It is a fun bike.  I am a former BSA Goldstar (DBD 500) rider and had an instant like for the Savage because it is a big single, although the performance is not on par with the Goldstar.   You can improve the Savage a good bit with carb, exhaust & cam mod's for more usable power.  The suspension, brakes and seat also need attention but that is another story.
Back to your backfiring.  It results from the very lean carb jetting, particularly the pilot jet.  There are many discussions on this site about removing the plug covering the pilot jet adjusting screw.  Do that if it has not been done already.  Depending on whether you have the stock exhaust or not, adjusting the screw for a richer mix may stop the backfiring.  Turn it out no more than 3 turns.  Once you get past 2 turns out, you should start considering going to the next larger pilot jet.

mick wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
I am a first time buyer, I got it used 2002 with 7000 miles on it,I love the bike,reminds me of my youth when I rode an ES2 norton back in England,I am 69 years old.
I noticed that she back fires quite allot when winding down,is this common? should I switch to premium gas?
or is it some thing else?
            Any ideas,  Mick

IP Logged
Dark8
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 06/21/06 at 15:01:08

Over 800 miles with no backfiring. I installed the Dyno-Jet kit for the S40 and it works like a dream. The bike runs the way it should have from the factory. It comes with an adjustable needle and different main jets incase you are running a aftermarket exhaust. And very good instructions.

http://www.dynojet.com/pdf/3107.pdf

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/12/24 at 15:16:42

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › back firing

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.