Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Inner tube question (Read 28 times)
TBeck2000
Ex Member

Inner tube question
06/21/06 at 08:00:08

I snagged my rear tube when I was mounting a new Metzeler ME880.  Undecided  I want to go with a new tube rather than trying to patch it up.

I was looking for recommendations on a replacement tube.  I am reading that a 140/80 tire needs a 5.50/6.00 tube.  I am having a tough time finding this size at a cheap price.  

I have been able to find 5.00/5.50 tubes for cheap and I was wondering if they would work in my application.  The Metzeler's sidewalls are much thicker than the IRC tire, so I would think that there is less space inside the tire for the tube.  Would this smaller size tube work?

If I have to stick with the 5.50/6.00 tube, anybody have any links on where to pick one up cheaply?

IP Logged
olscout99
Ex Member

Re: Inner tube question
Reply #1 - 06/21/06 at 08:11:25

Hopefully somebody with more experience can post an answer, but I had the same problem last week when I was ordering new tires and tubes for my Savage. I went by a recommendation I had seen that said that if the 'recommended' size was not available, to use the next smaller size and not larger, that the tube had to expand into the tire and the larger size would not be able to expand and work like it should. I ended up buying the 5.00-5.50 size tube for my new Dunlop K555 in 140/80-15. If you were putting  a new tire on with the old tube, it's probably better that you snagged it anyway- from what I read, new tire means you need a new tube. Made sense to me anyway, why spend big bucks for a tire and cheap out on the part that holds the air?

IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #2 - 06/21/06 at 09:00:00

I don't know what is the recomended tube size, but it is better to put a smaller tube, than bigger. The reason is that if it is smaller, it will expand, but it will stil hold air  and there is no problem. If it is just a little bigger- not a problem, but if it is significantly bigger, the tube will kink inside and You will end up with 2 parts of the tube rubbing. Eventually the tube will split on the line of the kink. And You can trust me on this - the tire goes down VERY fast.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #3 - 06/21/06 at 10:13:27

on my last tire change they used one on the back with the valve stem bent at a right angle - sure makes tire air checks and fills a lot easier

IP Logged
marty62253
2004 No Login

N. Massapequa, N.Y.
Reply #4 - 06/21/06 at 14:19:43

O.K. you found the old tire guy....It is perfectly fine to use a 5.00/5.50-15 tube in a 140/80-15 tire.
DO NOT USE a 5.00/5.10-15 tube - that would be a bit of a stretch (please don't shoot me).

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/12/24 at 15:17:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Inner tube question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.