Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Amal carb & intake manifold (Read 12 times)
marty62253
2004 No Login

N. Massapequa, N.Y.
Amal carb & intake manifold
06/15/06 at 07:26:53

Finally starting to tinker with the 38mm Amal I got from Lancer and:
1- got a velocity stack from Surrey Cycle in England
-It looks pretty good AND fits without having to move the battery box.
2- I can't install it because I can't get the 2 screws holding the intake manifold to let go of the engine.
I took out the battery box and air box to make some room to work in. I can get a hand impact tool in the space but I can't swing a hammer at it.
Any ideas how to get them started?

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Re: Amal carb & intake manifold
Reply #1 - 06/15/06 at 07:39:49

Get some "PB Blaster" and let it soak for a while.  That should help.  There is a better type of penetrating agent, but I'm not sure which.  Then there's this stuff called "Liquid Wrench."  Spray it on the tip of the screw driver and go to it.  Also, some screw drivers have a hole in the handle.  Stuff another screwdriver through there and turn.  Some also have a nut more or less welded to the base of the shaft.  Apply a metal wrench.  Be careful not to strip it out or you'll be buying a screw extractor kit (a good idea anyway) or welding a metal rod to the head of the screw.

IP Logged
Dragon King

IL
Reply #2 - 06/15/06 at 07:49:33

just wondering what year bike you have. Also I know that sear's sell some could easy-out as a last resort.
you may need to change the main-jet down in size. my Amal came with a 300 main jet. not sure what size I will end up with as it is in the shop know. not sure what carb Lancer is using but he is done to a 230 main jet

I refuse to tiptoe through life...
Only to arrive safely at Death.
  IP Logged
marty62253
2004 No Login

N. Massapequa, N.Y.
Reply #3 - 06/15/06 at 08:55:28

My Savage is a 2002.  38mm Amal MKII
Exhaust is a small Indian can made by supertrapp with 23 or 24  3 inch internal disks. sounds great - but-needs more fuel than i can get from stock carb with stripped jets (don't ask - I got it that way)
I,ve soaked it with liquid wrench,wd-40 and other penetrating solutions for several days now - think I'll just get one of those exractors that you can put a wrench on and hope the heads  don't snap off the screws.
As for the jetting - I'm a bit of a grump about tinkering - I just want this thing to go so my almost better half can cruise in style...SO.. if you could keep me posted on your jetting results I'd really appreciate it.
Which Amal do you have and what exhaust are you running?

IP Logged
Dragon King

IL
Reply #4 - 06/15/06 at 09:02:59

I have a Jardine Exhaust and can not rember if it the 36 or 38 amal mark

IP Logged
HawkEye1967
2005 No Login

L. T. R..R. T. L
 Ridding for the Son

Reply #5 - 06/15/06 at 21:16:06

Yep I had the same issue to remore the stock carb had a impact driver and all, heads where like butter, just took a rotary drill and cut the heads off the bolts, clean and smooth without wrecking the intake mainfold, then the intake mainfold came off the bolts, and the leftover bolts came out very easily with pliers once there was no pressure on them.  (Just to confirm that the intake manifold is the piece holding the carb to the cylinder, did not know its name.)  May not be the answer of choice, but it worked for me.  as far as I know Lancer is running a 230 jet in a 36 mikuni carb at this time.  but I am open to correction.

IP Logged
marty62253
2004 No Login

N. Massapequa, N.Y.
Reply #6 - 06/16/06 at 15:20:07

Thanx all...time was the answer...3 days of squirting liquid wrench whenever I walked by garage and the screws all but jumped out this morning. Replaced them with hardened allen heads for future. It's all together except fuel pours out of fuel line -Amal nipplything is smaller than stock and I only have heavyduty 5/8 fuel line - a hose clamp should let me try tomorrow.
Lancer is down to a 230 main jet in a 36mm?---this scares me --I've got a 38mm and the main jet says 320 on it .
Where can I get jets for this thing??

Hey Lancer - if you read this, please drop me a line.

IP Logged
HawkEye1967
2005 No Login

L. T. R..R. T. L
 Ridding for the Son

Reply #7 - 06/18/06 at 13:14:05

Chances are the Local Dealer, and or Bike Shop can help you out, just phone around and ask if they have main jets for a amal carb, I have had no issues getting jets for the mikuni carb, at the local bike shop.  Good Luck.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #8 - 06/21/06 at 08:09:27

Hi Guys,

If you do not have a local source for jets for the amals then go to British Only, www.britishonly.com, they have every single little part for any amal carb made in the past century.  

To clarify something that has been mentioned above, the #230 main jet is on a 36mm Mikuni VM carb that has something called a UFO in it..Ultimate Flow Optimizer.  This is a small piece that fits on the bottom of the slide and creates a smooth surface so that the air flow through the carb bore is accelerated and reduces turbulance.  The result is much improved fuel atomization.  The pilot jet, normally a #35, is now down to a #15 and it still has more than enough fuel/air mix.  The UFO mostly affects the low speed range, some in the midrange and  high speed range.
I posted some pics and info before I left a couple of weeks back.

IP Logged
Dragon King

IL
Reply #9 - 06/21/06 at 08:30:30

found this place for jets http://northerneagle.ca/triumph%20Intake&Fuel%202.htm
we ordered 230,240,250,260,270 not sure witch one we used yet cause it still in the shop. as soon as I know I'll post for you

IP Logged
marty62253
2004 No Login

N. Massapequa, N.Y.
Reply #10 - 06/21/06 at 15:13:32

Thanx Dragon King - While you're at it - see what size pilot jet is in there. Oh yeah - what are you using for air filter??

IP Logged
Dragon King

IL
Reply #11 - 06/21/06 at 16:55:22

using the air filter cone that lancer sent with the carb

Re: carb
« Reply #5 on: May 28th, 2006, 10:34pm »  Quote  lancer Modify  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The factory air filter will definitely restrict air flow, I would advise using the aftermarket filter... it will help a good bit with more power and aid in your jetting job.  The main jet needed will depend on the engine, carb, filter, exhaust, and ??.  Go down one size at a time until the bike runs strong at full throttle without bogging down.  Stop at that point on the main jet.  
Then check the midrange ... which notch on the needle does it run best in the 1/4 to 3/4 throttle range.
Then the pilot jet setting that makes the highest rpm @ idle...should be between 1 & 2 turns out...less than 1 turn out and it needs a larger pilot jet...more than 2 turns out and you need a smaller one.  
When tuning a carb, it is all about "throttle position", 1/4 or 1/2 or 3/4 or full throttle, not mph or rpm (except pilot jet).

For just getting a few jets to tune with you will do better getting them locally, it will save you shipping costs.   If you are unsure of the jet size just pull them out and look...it is printed on the main and pilot jets.  Sometimes a magnifyer is helpful.  

This is a good place to review some tuning stuff.  

http://www.mikuni.com/fs-tuning_guide.html

IP Logged
marty62253
2004 No Login

N. Massapequa, N.Y.
Reply #12 - 06/22/06 at 05:53:38

THANX AGAIN D-K
AIR FLOW SHOULD NOT BE A PROBLEM - I HAVE A K&N IN THE AIR BOX.
REMOVED A GOOD AMOUNT OF THE DOOR AND WALLS OF THE BOX AND REPLACED WITH 1/4" METAL SCREENING TO KEEP LEAVES AND OTHER LARGE DEBRIS OUT.
I THINK THE MAIN JET IS PRETTY CLOSE (I DON'T HAVE TO SAY WHAT A PAIN IT IS TO GET AT SPARK PLUG WHEN IT'S HOT) AND NEEDLE CIRCUIT PULLS WELL. PILOT IS SET AT 1 1/2 TURNS (FOR FASTEST IDLE SPEED)BUT I GET A TON OF BACKFIRE ON DECEL. WHEN I RUN PILOT 1/2 TURN OUT THERE IS MUCH LESS BACKFIRING.
I THINK YOU MAY HAVE PILOT JET SIZING REVERSED. TOO MANY TURNS, GO SMALLER--TOO FEW TURNS GO LARGER.
ANY HELP OUT THERE??

IP Logged
Dragon King

IL
Reply #13 - 06/22/06 at 07:56:35

lancer is the best to help send him an instant mess. also I have a thread a coulpe pages back with the subject carb that may have some usefull info for you Grin
good luck and let us know how it turns out. and just so you do not feel alone I got my carb last sept. and there is some other things that I needed to do first like have lancer make a custom throttle cable and then never really got started on it until april. then took it to a shop about 30 miles away and they had it for two months and did nothing with it. then was going to try it myself and went to the stealership to order some jets and after taking to the mech. that I know was even more confused so I let him take it and he said he would keep the cost down for me. the funny thing is that the amal goes on triumph and the stealership sells triumph along with suzuki but could not get any jets for the carb Grin

IP Logged
marty62253
2004 No Login

N. Massapequa, N.Y.
Reply #14 - 06/22/06 at 08:07:00

Triumph stealership with no Amal jets - Go Figure

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print