Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
cam chain/ tensioner how long ? (Read 7 times)
franch

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

cam chain/ tensioner how long ?
06/10/06 at 14:05:34

anyone have a ball park figure on length of time it takes an average back yard mechanic to replace the camchain & tensioner ?
franch

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Re: cam chain/ tensioner how long ?
Reply #1 - 06/11/06 at 10:35:23

Need to budget about 4 hrs from start to finish if you have all the parts in hand. Use a couple stacked pennies in a hold of some kind between the gears to get the crank nut loose ( I have an old hemostat that works great). !! Caution NUT is is LH thread, I broke the cam drive gear behind the primary gear twisting the wrong way!! Be sure to inspect the crank and cam gear for tooth wear. Parts needed, chain, tensioner, circle clip that holds the tensioner on the pin (in case it goes flying). side cover gasket, new lock washer for clutch basket retainer, and copper washer for cam cover bolts. Some sealer for the cam cover. A torque wrench to tighten the crank  and clutch nuts. Good time to check valve clearance unless you have done it recently. A good idea on here was to use Q-tips or = to make sure there is no oil in the bottom of the holes for the cam cover. I found oil in 3 of mine that would have prevented an accurate tightening of those bolts. Use the pattern Greg recommends in the tech forum for the cam cover bolts. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
franch

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Re: cam chain/ tensioner how long ?
Reply #2 - 06/11/06 at 16:26:14

Now thats some good info !
thanks Max

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/26/24 at 14:56:54

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › cam chain/ tensioner how long ?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.