Finally! (Read 13 times)
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Re: Finally!
Reply #15 - 06/09/06 at 05:33:00

I agree reelthing- The spacer and idle mixture screw (the famous drill out the plug on the right side of the carb then @2turns out job). but I suspect given that the pipe is single walled, Veritas, you'll get some coloring no matter what.  Ride and enjoy, always a whole Winter to tinker in.

IP Logged
azDebraD
YaBB Newbies

I love the desert.
Year round riding is
great.

arizona
Reply #16 - 06/09/06 at 06:28:15

congrats! welcome to savagism(is that a word) Grin i'm sure it is at least a state of mind Wink

lady rider and loving it
sv2hugger   IP Logged
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Reply #17 - 06/09/06 at 11:21:59

Trippah wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
I suspect given that the pipe is single walled, Veritas, you'll get some coloring no matter what.

The stock header pipe is several layers laminated together. I don't think you'll see any coloring for awhile. I'd put 600 or 1000 miles on your bike, then rejet it. That's what I did with my '03.

Do keep your pipe clean. Clean it with solvent (I use lacquer thinner) and wax it. The wax will burn off in time but it does provide some protection. Oil and fingerprints will create hot spots that promote blueing.

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #18 - 06/09/06 at 11:57:22

slavy wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
Second- screw any extended warranty- all these extended warranties and prepaid service plans are just a big scam.

Third- It doesnt have anything to do with the milage, sevices, waranties and so on. The rule is- first ride, evaluate, diagnose and after that -fix.
So first ride Your new bike as long as it is necessary to see what do You like and what You don't and after that go step by step.

Definitely agree w/ slavy on point 3, but not point 2, though $1k is way too much.  I got the 3 year warranty on my V* for about $300, I think.  I've used it way more than $300 in warranty work.  Not to knock V*s, but the whole starter assembly/mechanism/one way gear is garbage.  I had to have mine replaced... Money out of my pocket: $300 for the warranty.  Money out of Yamha's pocket: $700 for the repair.  Net proffit by Yam. on warranty: -$700.  Had one other minor problem that the warranty covered.  

That being said, the savage is more or less bullet proof.  Sometimes the cam chains go bad, and rarely the conrod snaps (e.g. Torque's bike)... so an expensive warranty is probably not worth it for a savage.  Plus they are easy enough to work on.  

As far as violating the warranties:  if you do a carb mod and the starter dies, the warranty on the starter is still valid.  If you do a carb mod and melt your valves or burn a hole in the piston, then the warranty is void... but they'd still have to repalce your starter... unless you wrecked your starter by trying to start your ruined engine!

IP Logged
Veritas
Ex Member

Reply #19 - 06/09/06 at 13:53:39

Well, just got home 3 minutes ago from picking her up!  A little cold out but no rain.  It was AMAZING!  It was my first time EVER on a motorcycle.  I rode it about 20 miles and on 2 highways and a couple twisties.  WOW!

Well, that was after riding it through the graveyard across from the shop a few times, dropping it on grass once and learning how to pick her up all at the same time...

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 00:30:11

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Finally!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.