Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Cafe Racer Savage (Read 44 times)
Dorri Williams

Cafe Racer Savage
06/04/06 at 13:20:26

Hey guys,

I stumbled across this picture today and hadn't seen it posted on this site.  

Anyone know where I could get a tank like this?  I'm pretty sure I could fabricate the rearsets, and I'd probably use clubman bars rather than clip-on's, but all in all it's pretty cool.

You can see it better by clicking this link:
http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/7160/617/1600/savage_cafe_1.jpg

IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Re: Cafe Racer Savage
Reply #1 - 06/04/06 at 15:55:21

Thanks Dorri for sharing..it does get the heart thumping.

IP Logged
babbalou
Serious Thumper

Lewisville, Texas
Reply #2 - 06/04/06 at 16:35:19

Very nice bike. If I had the money, time & patience, that's exactly how I'd want my bike to look.

Had an S40 Jul '04-Jan '07
WWW   IP Logged
steelwolf
Serious Thumper

"I'm a cowboy,
on a steel horse I
ride."

Trinity, NC
Reply #3 - 06/04/06 at 19:17:48

I have a tank similar to that. It's kinda rusty and has no gas cap but I don't need it. If you want it it's yours. I can't remember without looking again but I don't think it is dented at all. I'll look @ it tomarrow, maybe get a pic if it isn't late.

WWW   IP Logged
goodandevil
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 06/05/06 at 00:17:18

To get a tank like "that" one must cut the original tank and either shape the cut out piece to swithch the sides or get a new covcave piece made to fit.

IP Logged
divecop
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 06/05/06 at 01:43:31

Didn't Honda have a tank like that on their GX 500 or GSX500??? Roll Eyes

IP Logged
steelwolf
Serious Thumper

"I'm a cowboy,
on a steel horse I
ride."

Trinity, NC
Reply #6 - 06/05/06 at 03:59:30

My tank is from a honda. Not sure what kind but it was a honda. And it may not be "exactly" like that but I am pretty sure it's close.

WWW   IP Logged
Dorri732
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 06/05/06 at 05:40:43

Steelwolf, as long as the basic shape is the same, I'd love to have it.  The rust won't matter, as it will be sandblasted and painted anyway.

Thanks,
Dorri

IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #8 - 06/05/06 at 06:05:54

The 'tank like that' is a typical  1960's - 70's cafe` racer tank, as found on (Italian-built) Harley Davidson/Aermacchi 250s-350s, or Ducatis, Guzzis, Benallis, Morinis and the like- not to mention AJS, Matchless, Triumph and BSA singles. Probably the names may mean little to you, but in the days of Sunday morning City Circuit racing of the 1950-70s that's how many National Championships were run.

Racers were generally singles or twins at best, 4stroke pushrod engines which were tuned to exceed 10.000 rpm easily.

Try http://www.ace-cafe-london.com/ for some mouth-watering inspiration (pics, sounds etc)

Maurizio

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
Dorri732
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 06/05/06 at 06:27:12

Thanks for the link, mpescatori.  Have you seen the new Triumph Thruxton?  Not bad for a bike you could buy off the showroom floor.

IP Logged
steelwolf
Serious Thumper

"I'm a cowboy,
on a steel horse I
ride."

Trinity, NC
Reply #10 - 06/05/06 at 20:56:50

Here are some pics of the tank. There are a few small dents near the bottom but they are real shallow. The circle is where the original tank badge was mounted.

Right side...

Top view...

Left side...

The white circle in the last one is bondo. Someone had filled the two receses where the tank badges were. If you want it it's yours. Just send me a pm with the details.

Now that I have looked at it really close I am not entirely positive the tank came from a Honda. Suzuki maybe?

WWW   IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #11 - 06/06/06 at 05:37:53

Dorri732 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
Thanks for the link, mpescatori.  Have you seen the new Triumph Thruxton?  Not bad for a bike you could buy off the showroom floor.

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/7160/617/1600/thruxton.jpg

I know the Thruxton, it's a lovely piece of machinery - incidentally, I lived near Thruxton Circuit for two years, wonderful Sunday morning 'Club' races. It's a few miles east of Stonehenge, between Salisbury and Winchester, in South England.

Take a look at these sites:

http://www.royalenfield.com/app/UK/default.asp

http://www.royalenfield.com/app/Us/default.asp

So, am I canvassing another bike which is not a Savage ?
Well, I'd like to think this is the original, and the Savage is Suzuki's own ... er... copy.
Too bad they only made the Boulevard, and never considered a tourer/cafe` racer version, as Yamaha did with its XT500, which became the SR 500 and SRX 650 !

And now, for something completely different...

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/custom_GT500.html

A racy Royal Enfield Cafe` Racer

Sorry for too many pics but I just couldn't resist...

Maurizio Cheesy

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #12 - 06/06/06 at 08:10:15

Here's another savage cafe racer... Don't remember where I found it... Ebay, I think.

MS:  10,000 rpm?  I thought the goal was to hit 100 mph to and from the next cafe?  before the song ended?  

darnit, Lnacer needs to hurry up and figure out just what we need to do to our valves!  My savage needs some serious hopping up!  Sure it can outrun my V* 1100 through the twisties, but it can't smoke it!

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #13 - 06/06/06 at 08:58:11

Boy, do I wish I could get the head/valve work done yesterday!!!  Unfortunately, money is always the leading issue.  We have been trying to create additional income but no substantial results so far.

However, for those of you who believe in fervent prayer...please pray.  We are sponsoring a legal seminar in Columbia this Saturday, and if a lot of folks sign up for it we could make a quite a bit from it.  This is a really good thing, with lots of very practical info that can save people thousands of dollars when they need legal help.

By the way, I LOVE the alloy tank that they use on the Enfield Cafe Racer kit.

IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #14 - 06/07/06 at 03:53:54

vroom1776 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
Here's another savage cafe racer... Don't remember where I found it... Ebay, I think.

http://w1.bikepics.com/pics/2005%5C09%5C30%5Cbikepics-438793-full.jpg

My savage needs some serious hopping up!  Sure it can outrun my V* 1100 through the twisties, but it can't smoke it!

VROOOM, that is one serious cafe` Savage  Cheesy Reminds me so very much of Harley's own XLCR 1200 from the seventies, it might be a good starting point! Or Target.

About hopping up the valves, are Savage and DR650 camshafts swappable? Or can I swap the entire head ??? I would love to give the Savage some serious ooomph but all I have at the moment are a free-flow air filter, a 40mm Mikuni BST Carb off a KTM and a Sportster muff ready to be drilled - and I still have to fit them all  Roll Eyes

Maurizio

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

mpescatori   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/06/24 at 04:32:22

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Cafe Racer Savage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.