Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Clutch cable adjustment (Read 12 times)
Kev95GS
Ex Member

Clutch cable adjustment
05/26/06 at 21:30:26

Is there an optimum amount of freeplay at the lever and the amount of adjustment at the bottom?

Thanks,

Kevin

I think I'll post some pix of it.  No front end no rear tire, tank...  

IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Re: Clutch cable adjustment
Reply #1 - 05/26/06 at 23:57:10

For the engine and for the clutch doesn't matter where do You adjust the free play. What matters is that You have 2-3 mm free play at the cable  /may be about 10mm-3/8"/ at the end of the lever.
My sugestion is to screy the adjuster at the lever almost all the way IN and after that to adjust the free play from the bottom adjuster. This way You will have a lot of adjustment at the lever wich is easier to do on the go.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #2 - 01/03/07 at 20:12:49

For the record:

After your adjustment, be sure and check the freeplay when the handlebars are full left, then full right.  You should still have some freeplay left when the handlebars are full lock.

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Phelonius
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 01/04/07 at 10:38:35

Use a nickle as a feeler gauge in the gap opened as you squeeze the clutch lever. The throwout contact should just be touching with a nickle inserted.
If you don't have a nickle, you can't afford the gas for the ride to the end of your driveway.

Phelonius

Phelonius
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #4 - 01/04/07 at 11:58:22

Can I use a debit card?

IP Logged
phasender
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 01/04/07 at 22:44:17

I have a lot of trouble with my clutch. When I shift to 3 4 or 5, I just squeeze the clutch all the way and it shifts fine. but, when I shift to 1 or 2, if I squeeze it all the way, when I try to shift, something hits a spinning gear and it won't shift. I have to squeeze it just right, about a third of the way when I shift to get it to shift/engage right. Anybody else have this problem? I've tried turning the adjuster at the lever almost all the way in, which makes 1 and 2 fine, but then I have some trouble shifting out of 3.  Anyone have a solution?

IP Logged
SavageDude
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

OC_California
Reply #6 - 01/04/07 at 22:49:20

It takes practice to learn when to shift down Undecided You can adjust all you want, going from 2 to 1 is tricky. Does it sound like something grinding when you try to go to 1? It took me a few months to know the sweet spot to shift down.

2005 S40, debadged, Tkat FB, saddle bags, sissy bar, HD Sporter muff, Fly screen, white spacer mod, 150 main jet.....and sssslowly upgrading
  IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #7 - 01/05/07 at 01:04:30

I keep the my clutch cable adjusted so there is a 3mm gap at the lever with the bars straight ahead (as per my MOM and Clymer) ... no problems, just right amt of freeplay ...

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Phelonius
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 01/06/07 at 13:04:19

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
Can I use a debit card?

Yes, but you have to fold it over double thickness.

Phelonius

Phelonius
  IP Logged
phasender
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 01/06/07 at 14:08:31

Actually not that difficult to shift to 1. It's the 1 to 2 and the 3 to 2 shifts that are hard. it's kind of like a grinding sound, but it sound/feels more like i'm trying to stick a piece of metal into a spinning gear that doesn't want to take it. I never had this problem with my honda cm400t. Is this a thing that happens with all savages, or is mine just "special"? Wink

SavageDude wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
It takes practice to learn when to shift down Undecided You can adjust all you want, going from 2 to 1 is tricky. Does it sound like something grinding when you try to go to 1? It took me a few months to know the sweet spot to shift down.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 01/06/07 at 16:58:44

I find it more reliable when shifting to place my foot on the shifter appling a little down or up pressure then squeeze the clutch.  It seems to pop right in at half squeezed.

WWW   IP Logged
SavageDude
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

OC_California
Reply #11 - 01/06/07 at 17:54:28

phasender wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
Is this a thing that happens with all savages, or is mine just "special"? Wink

Yes, your bike is special then. It needs special lubrication then  Grin

2005 S40, debadged, Tkat FB, saddle bags, sissy bar, HD Sporter muff, Fly screen, white spacer mod, 150 main jet.....and sssslowly upgrading
  IP Logged
phasender
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 01/07/07 at 18:52:45

I just changed the oil to... 10w40, I think, the standard weight/nonsynthetic. Is there anything more I should do?

Verslagen, that's not a bad idea, I'll have to try it.

SavageDude wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
Yes, your bike is special then. It needs special lubrication then  Grin

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 01/08/07 at 00:46:26

The rpm difference between 1st & 2nd is greater than the split in the other gears. When ya goose it to match RPM downshifting, goose it a bit harder on the 2nd to 1st d/shift & wait till you are going slower.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 20:16:17

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Clutch cable adjustment

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.