Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
disadvantages of drum brake (Read 11 times)
KenGLong
Alliance Member

2002 Savage

Albuquerque, NM
Re: disadvantages of drum brake
Reply #15 - 05/26/06 at 18:17:31

While riding home toay the pickup in front of me veered hard into the left turn lane leaving me looking at the back end of a car waiting for the light. Oops. Hit both brakes and the rear locked up  tight on me. I was going straight so no problem.

Nothing wrong with the rear drum brake on the Savage!

Ken

IP Logged
SeeAPierce
2005 No Login

California
Reply #16 - 05/28/06 at 12:36:18

Drum brakes are just fine in the rear - but there are lots of differences.  Much has been said here about cooling and effectiveness, all of which is true.  Your Falcon probably had 4 wheel drum - yuk!  I upgraded my Mustang to front disk and it made a big difference.  Front disk/rear drum is a very common setup for bikes and cars, until you get to higher performance, then you get front and rear disk.  The average sales guy should know the differences if only to try to "sell you up" to a higher priced bike.  Your sales guy showed his ignorance...and he threw attitude on something he obviously knew nothing about.  Next time ask him about carb jetting and see how far he gets before he bails out...

'06 S40 green: sporty muff & 10 degree adapter 155 main jet, 1/2 white spacer, open filter, bar end turn signals
  IP Logged
Savage Librarian
Serious Thumper

One Hoopy Frood

Houston area
Reply #17 - 05/28/06 at 19:53:58

You know, I think I've run into that salesperson...in several shops!  Maybe they're all clones?

The drum brake on the rear of the Savage isn't too bad.  The Savage is a light bike and it takes relatively little braking power to make it stop.  It's a lot more noticable on a fully laden C50 set up for the long haul though, lemme tell you!  I've certainly wished more than once I had a disk behind me on that one....

Keep on confusing the clueless salespeople!  It's one of the simple things in life that keeps us going, methinks! Smiley

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely, in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, used-up, worn out, and defiantly shouting 'Geronimo!!!'
xargonthegreat GuitarLOTR   IP Logged
AussieSavage
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 05/29/06 at 01:20:50

The rear drum brakes on the Savage are pretty good really, due to the fact that its not a heavy bike.
I own a Honda Shadow, American Classic and the rear drum brakes are really only there for showSmiley .They have hardly any stopping power, due I think to the weight of the bike.
I like the rear drum brake idea as well , gives a cruiser that old fashion look.

Cheers AussieSavage

IP Logged
Brewbrother
Serious Thumper

Just lending a
helping hand.

Reply #19 - 05/29/06 at 16:16:21

AussieSavage wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
The rear drum brakes on the Savage are pretty good really, due to the fact that its not a heavy bike.
I own a Honda Shadow, American Classic and the rear drum brakes are really only there for showSmiley .They have hardly any stopping power, due I think to the weight of the bike.
I like the rear drum brake idea as well , gives a cruiser that old fashion look.

Cheers AussieSavage

I feel a rear drum brake works better in commuter traffic. I use the rear brake more than the front brake when I commute to and from work. It has ample stopping power.

Opportunities multiply as they are seized.
No spacer,60 pilot jet, 155 main jet, plug door, sportster muffler, k&n drop in, iridium plug, brake pedal mod,de-badged, Dunlops, bullet turn signals.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/02/24 at 05:04:10

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › disadvantages of drum brake

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.