Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Stock Sportster Muffler? (Read 12 times)
HotCarl
Ex Member

Stock Sportster Muffler?
05/20/06 at 16:16:19

Are the stock sporty muffs supposed to have a baffle? I purchased a couple used (they came as a set) and they are completely hollow. I just finished putting one on my bike and it is LOUD AS SH*T! Way louder than any stock sportster I've heard. What gives? I sounds better than the muffler that came on the S40 but my neighbors are pissed. I kinds bugs me too. Maybe I'm a puss, but it is darn loud, especially riding around in the city. I might have to pony up for a SuperTrapp, cuz I heard they aren't too loud, and you can adjust it to your liking. Any thoughts?

IP Logged
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Re: Stock Sportster Muffler?
Reply #1 - 05/20/06 at 16:43:55

Someone has gutted your Sportster muffler. There should definately be baffling in it. It may have had a bolt in baffle that vibrated out but if it's stock that's unlikey. Someone probably cut them out.

The Supertrapp has a nice sound. It's louder than stock but not obnoxious. Yes you can reduce the number of disks to make it quieter, but this will reduce performance too. I'm running the stock # of disks in mine - 7 I think.

IP Logged
HotCarl
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 05/20/06 at 16:47:26

Which supertrapp muffler are you using? I went on the site and they have so many to choose from.

IP Logged
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Reply #3 - 05/20/06 at 16:52:27

HotCarl wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
Which supertrapp muffler are you using? I went on the site and they have so many to choose from.

They have one designed for the Savage. I ordered mine through the local dealer.

http://www.supertrapp.com/product_sections/detail.asp?CatID=14&ItemID=728-50650

IP Logged
Brewbrother
Serious Thumper

Just lending a
helping hand.

Reply #4 - 05/20/06 at 17:14:57

HotCarl wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
Are the stock sporty muffs supposed to have a baffle? I purchased a couple used (they came as a set) and they are completely hollow. I just finished putting one on my bike and it is LOUD AS SH*T! Way louder than any stock sportster I've heard. What gives? I sounds better than the muffler that came on the S40 but my neighbors are pissed. I kinds bugs me too. Maybe I'm a puss, but it is darn loud, especially riding around in the city. I might have to pony up for a SuperTrapp, cuz I heard they aren't too loud, and you can adjust it to your liking. Any thoughts?

The muffler I bought is a Harley tagged sportster/softtail slip on slash cut muffler. It has one removeable baffle. I installed it today. My wife asked me to not warm up my bike in the morning. But I think its sounds excellent so I'm going to do it anyway. I figure they won't notice with closed windows and the A/C blowing. 6am be da*mned.

Opportunities multiply as they are seized.
No spacer,60 pilot jet, 155 main jet, plug door, sportster muffler, k&n drop in, iridium plug, brake pedal mod,de-badged, Dunlops, bullet turn signals.
  IP Logged
DaddySauce

Fried Squid is the
best!

Arizona
Reply #5 - 06/16/06 at 11:40:28

I have the stock sportster muffler off a 1300 and sounds great.   I had purchased a pair off this guy for real cheap so I poked a somewhat-symetrical hole into the baffle of one of them and ran that.   Sounds WAY better!  To do that I used a pretty beefy screwdriver and hammered away till it decided to go through.   It's not loud enough to piss too many people off, but it gets the looks... 8)

WWW   IP Logged
DaddySauce

Fried Squid is the
best!

Arizona
Reply #6 - 06/16/06 at 11:41:36

In case you were wondering as well... I already had the dynojet installed and cone filter... so this also required some carb-tweaking.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/14/24 at 05:19:10

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Stock Sportster Muffler?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.