Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Carb Kit? (Read 0 times)
Krowl
YaBB Newbies

Pennsylvania
Carb Kit?
05/19/06 at 05:08:30

Just have a quick question on the carb modification. Is there a kit to do the mod? I just purchased a 95 savage a month ago and would like to do the carb mod but don't know were to get the parts to do it. Please help! My savage backfires every time I shut it off and when I cruise around 55-60 mph.

IP Logged
olscout99
Ex Member

Re: Carb Kit?
Reply #1 - 05/19/06 at 08:21:10

Good question....I'm picking my Savage up tomorrow morning, and the carb mods and pipe are going to be two of the first things I do. I've seen the 'Stage 1' kits on Ebay, are those basically what we're looking for? If so, that would be a quick solution....if not, where can we snag the parts quickly and cheaply?

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #2 - 05/19/06 at 08:34:23

Dyno jet kits are a waste of money.  The stuff should be easy to find.

Spacer mod:  Go to ACE hardware or whatever and buy the a couple of number 4 or 3 washers (buy both so you don't have to go back when you buy the wrong size... only one will fit).

Jets:  Go to pretty much any motorcycle dealership, HD, yamaha, suzuki, whatever, or repair shop.  Any of these places should have the jets you need in stock for $2 or $3 each.  It may help to bring in the jets to make sure you get the right one.

You should also clean out the carb while you are doing all this, so buy some carb cleaner while you're out there.  

Also,  dynojet jets are not really the same size as the mikunis... i.e. a 150 mikuni main is not the same as a 150 DJ main....

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #3 - 05/19/06 at 08:57:35

i bought the stage one kit for my 06 the only good thing i like is the new needle thats adjustable..is a waste 0f $$ 65(i think) for one main jet(you get 4 or so but only use one) and the needle...b4 you start your carb mod have your ss allen screws in hand i couldnt source them here locally, had to use the black ones..was able to find some here later from a brother savager.... Smiley

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #4 - 05/19/06 at 09:06:13

Yeah, the adjustable needle is nice but changing the thickness of the spacer accomplishes the same thing.  You'll still want a bigger main jet, especially if you upgrade your exhaust.  The main jets are around $3 - $4 each and are at a lot of places both in meatspace (your local HD dealer, as mentioned above) and cyberspace (Motorcycle-Superstore, among others).  Do a few searches.  This is an oft-repeated topic.  Also look at the Best Sources for Savage Parts topic in the Marketplace.  The note above on replacing the screws is a good one and is also oft-repeated.  Replace them with allen screws and your future access will be easier.  Stainless is best and I've found them easily at Ace Hardware.  Just take one of each of your old ones in to match the size... or there's a post by someone (Reelthing maybe?) in the past few weeks on this topic which specifies the size.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #5 - 05/19/06 at 09:18:24

Meatspace?   I thought that was my refridgerator (and underpants)!

IP Logged
van allen

Reply #6 - 05/19/06 at 23:41:34

If you slow the bike to a stop.....and then hit the kill switch while Slowly releasing the clutch it will not back fire....it takes practice...but is easy to learn.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 01:33:55

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Carb Kit?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.